Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help on UWA

Default Re: Need help on UWA

Not to highjack further, thanks for the info guys
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by yfyfyf View Post
    I want to buy a UWA for my landscape shots as 90% of my shots are landscape. I had a few models in mind but i would like to hear some of your reviews/experience on these following lens.

Tokina 11-16 f2.8
    Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
    Sigma 10-20 f3.5

I had these 3 in mind so can anyone help me more with it ? The difference between the 2 sigma models is that one has a constant aperture while the other do not. But for landscape, i do not need the f3.5 and i know that this model uses a 82mm filter which make it hard for me to get nd filters for it.

Any recommendations ? Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by yfyfyf View Post
    i read already, i also read about the good reviews people gave to it

i have try out both the sigma and tokina, for me now, i too prefer the tokina, will go and buy it over the weekend
    good for you to make up your mind.

I like to add something if you don't mind.
    1. If you shoot urban landscape with lots of architecture, you might want to find out if the lens distortion for these uwa can easily be corrected during pp.
    2. there might be a small difference in focal length between these sigma and tokina lenses but the fov difference is significant at such small focal length. You might want to find out if the smaller focal length works for you.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Personally I've never used any of those lenses you mentioned,but I've seen some great photos taken with tokina 11-16..it has good review also in term of sharpness..

I suggest u rent and play with it first before u make any decision?

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    good for you to make up your mind.

I like to add something if you don't mind.
    1. If you shoot urban landscape with lots of architecture, you might want to find out if the lens distortion for these uwa can easily be corrected during pp.
    2. there might be a small difference in focal length between these sigma and tokina lenses but the fov difference is significant at such small focal length. You might want to find out if the smaller focal length works for you.
    regarding your first point, i realised that the distortion of the tokina 11-16mm is quite extreme especially at 11mm and definitely needs a certain amount of correction depending on how you're going to present the image.

i myself also just recently bought this lens and tried to manually correct the distortion myself since there isn't any pre-defined profile for this particular lens via LightRoom. however, in the process of correcting the distortion, i found that quite a large percentage of the image is cropped away during the alignment process.

can any users of this lens care to share how they go about correcting the distortion on this lens?

this is an example of the image before i tried to correct the distortion manually;

and after my lousy attempt at trying to correct as much of the distortion as possible, although there still is..;

PS: i'm still not getting it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjayy

regarding your first point, i realised that the distortion of the tokina 11-16mm is quite extreme especially at 11mm and definitely needs a certain amount of correction depending on how you're going to present the image.

i myself also just recently bought this lens and tried to manually correct the distortion myself since there isn't any pre-defined profile for this particular lens via LightRoom. however, in the process of correcting the distortion, i found that quite a large percentage of the image is cropped away during the alignment process.

can any users of this lens care to share how they go about correcting the distortion on this lens?

this is an example of the image before i tried to correct the distortion manually;

and after my lousy attempt at trying to correct as much of the distortion as possible, although there still is..;

PS: i'm still not getting it.
    If you are shooting wide, you will get keystone distortion if you plane of view is not level. One way to minimize that is to use a spirit level and shoot totally level on all axis. If that is not a good composition, you can shoot wider and crop.

If you have to tilt the view angle, you need to shoot much wider to account for the amount of distortion correction you need to do. You will also need to stretch or compress vertically after you adjusted for keystone distortion.

Once you get into uwa range, you can never get away from distortion. The difference is whether the distortion is simple or complex. The 16-35 on FF, for example, gives quite complex distortion, although it shines in all other aspects.

just to add on to daredevil123 said.
    If you are using photoshop cs4 and later, there should be a lens correction option. This should allow you to correct the distortion with the lens profile or you can do it manually under the same option in a different tab. And there is also a tedious way to correct it, is by using liquidfy. (pardon for the spelling error).

For the 2nd photo, not just the the left side of the buildings still look tilted, the tower now look much wider than it should be.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12