Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod & Ballhead Recommendations

the 055ProB is a good tripod, but a lil heavy for me.. so stick to 190ProB

Cheers!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

I'm gonna be travelling soon, not sure if I should bring tripod along or get a monopod... Anyway.. if I do travel with the tripod, how do you guys bring it???

Buy the travel bag for it??? Check-in luggage?

if u bring tripod overseas, you can just carry it on board with your camera.... provided u dun bring alot of other things as well, not compulsory to get a travel bag, a tripod strap will do. since everything goes thru the x-ray, den there is no sharps, except it proves as an effective weapon...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    if u bring tripod overseas, you can just carry it on board with your camera.... provided u dun bring alot of other things as well, not compulsory to get a travel bag, a tripod strap will do. since everything goes thru the x-ray, den there is no sharps, except it proves as an effective weapon...
    Haha.. I'm worried they won't let me board the plane with it

I pack my tripod in my duffel bag, wrapped in clothes and towels. The ball head is detached and carried in my carry on luggage with the rest of my photo gear as it's more delicate. I would hesitate in carrying-on my tripod, as it has spike feet.

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge
    Polo, if you care for a newbie opinions, pls read.

I got 055 + 488. And I also got Velbon tripod cum pan head (off hand cannot remember the model - but not the cheapest one). I also have DV cam.

For video cam - pan head is the one - ball NO.

For casual still photo - ball head - simple, easy flexible....correct way to go.

HOWEVER!

If you do macro, 488 shifts when tighten. It is very slight (actually not much consequence to my novice photo) but gives you that 'aiyah' sigh!

Panning your DV cam without a handle - already sound not so correct - ball too loose, you worry the cam 'drop', ball too tight, pan not so smooth. The pan option in the ball head also a bit stiff (maybe seasoned will be OK).

If i started anew (one head for both still and video), most probably I will get the 141 head.
    Thanks swhyge for ur newbie's opinion. BTW, I'm also a newbie in photography!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12