Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help for event lens

Smile Re: help for event lens

can 85mm do street photo taking?

Default Re: help for event lens

Quote Originally Posted by alvinho View Post
    Why not? 16mm oso can. 300mm oso can. The only limit is what's behind the camera, not what's attached in front of it.
    Alpha

maybe i can use a shorter range prime lens like 30mm? cos sometime i use my 50mm i have to move back abit to take wat i wan..
    Did you notice that your 17-50 include 30mm and 50mm focal length? And it comes with f/2.8. What exactly do you need? Use a flash, that's it. If 50mm is to wide just step closer, 17mm is wide enough, you'll just get distortion at this end. Not really wanted, usually (unless for special effects).
    EOS

No, it's the photographer who is doing it. So, can you? The lens will do its job, no worries
    EOS

Blog Entries

hi all,

which lens is better for shooting event indoor?
    Sigma 50mm F1.4
    Canon 85mm F1.8
    Depends really on how and what you want to shoot. With or without flash, size of room... etc...

Hi TS, after reading through all your posts, i think you must give up the mindset that only wide-angle lenses can shoot landscape and telephoto lenses shoot sports.
    Any lens can be used for any situations. In this case, telephoto lenses can be used for landscape and wide angle lenses can be used for sports.

Your current setup pretty much covers most genres of photography, i don't see a need for you to get lenses where you are not even certain if it suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Then use the 17-50 and your 430 EXII. That's all you need.
    ^^^^ what he said.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    Hi TS, after reading through all your posts, i think you must give up the mindset that only wide-angle lenses can shoot landscape and telephoto lenses shoot sports.
    Any lens can be used for any situations. In this case, telephoto lenses can be used for landscape and wide angle lenses can be used for sports.

Your current setup pretty much covers most genres of photography, i don't see a need for you to get lenses where you are not even certain if it suits you.
    Do agree with you, somehow, I feel that you gotta shoot more first, go and explore your 17-50 range, use that to shoot everything first, landscape, street, events... Then ask yourself, "erm now what do I lack off? Should I get a faster focusing lens?, a prime lens which suits my style?"

Then come back here and ask questions " hey guys I have been shooting with 17-50 range, find that the focusing is slow, and not deep enough for the focal length, was thinking of the 85 1.8, what do you think ?"

Otherwise it be like my friend who whenever I talk about a lens, he will go and buy.. "hey I saw this lens leh.. Sibei fast! 50 1.2.." the following week he went to buy it.. And asked me "erm what is 1.2 ar ??"
    Think fast, aim for the best !

I personally think a 17-55mm on a crop or a 24-70mm on ff accompanied with a 30/50mm prime would suffice for events depending on the scale of the event. If time permits, primes allow you to be more creative and concentrate more on framing while with a zoom, you may tend to focus more on the scale of the picture. Again, each depends on time but a standard zoom and a standard prime is a good set up to experiment with. A 35mm or a 50mm field of view type lens whether on crop or ff would be better off than a 85mm. It leaves more room for flexibility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12