Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    A maid to help me take care of my 2 aged parents, one is wheelchaired, is very important to me. When I leave home to earn a living, she is there to look after them.

    I dont mind paying the increase. But I really mind paying for the levy imposed by the government, no matter how little. I do not see the value of the levy, as it does not ease me of any financial burden, cheaper health care for the aged, etc... so far, has any MP speak out on this? Perhaps they can impose levy on those with multiple maids.

    In the end, it only increases the costs of living here without clear justifications.
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  2. #22
    Member guseliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razor
    A maid to help me take care of my 2 aged parents, one is wheelchaired, is very important to me. When I leave home to earn a living, she is there to look after them.

    I dont mind paying the increase. But I really mind paying for the levy imposed by the government, no matter how little. I do not see the value of the levy, as it does not ease me of any financial burden, cheaper health care for the aged, etc... so far, has any MP speak out on this? Perhaps they can impose levy on those with multiple maids.

    In the end, it only increases the costs of living here without clear justifications.
    Precisely.. Totally agree with u bro.
    Anybody knows what the levy for? I dont see either Employer or DH benefited from this levy.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Very good point

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    The sad thing is some are expected to be nurse too, either to take care elderly who are of various mental state, or mentally disabled children. I have seen maid in mrt who get slapped repeatedly by a mentally disabled teen, and the parents did not do anything. the maid just has to endure the bashing for 15 minutes.
    There is a case recently where the maid murdered a mentally disabled girl. Likely she has to die too.
    However nobody in the news raised the case if there are personality test to check if the maid is suitable for the heavy responsibilty. Nobody raise the need to have extra training.
    There are so many cases of maids falling down and died. Nobody raise the need to teach them about change of behaviour in high rise living. They are normally short (average height 150 cm) and they may not be able to reach the laundry poles.

    So many just want low cost, without considering the consequences of "low cost".
    Sometimes you really get what you paid. Lower cost = lower quality.
    It is just sad some are already paying or will be paying with their lives as a consequence of that low quality.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

  4. #24

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    SINGAPORE: About 17 maid agencies in Singapore have increased the salary of new Indonesian maids. But others are undecided.

    Meanwhile some employers are concerned the agencies which have agreed to the pay rise are trying to control the market.

    But the 17 agencies maintain that the salary increment from S$380 to S$450 a month is to compete with Hong Kong and Taiwan in attracting more Indonesian maids to work in Singapore.

    Currently, the salary for an Indonesian maid in Hong Kong is about S$600, with Taiwan offering about S$800.

    But smaller agencies Channel NewsAsia spoke to said that attracting Indonesian maids to Singapore has not been a problem, and so they have not decided whether they will follow suit.

    Some employers also questioned whether the practice goes against anti-competition laws in Singapore.

    When contacted, the Competition Commission of Singapore said it could not advise whether the practice is anti-competitive or not without first conducting a thorough investigation.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  5. #25

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    A maid to help me take care of my 2 aged parents, one is wheelchaired, is very important to me. When I leave home to earn a living, she is there to look after them.

    I dont mind paying the increase. But I really mind paying for the levy imposed by the government, no matter how little. I do not see the value of the levy, as it does not ease me of any financial burden, cheaper health care for the aged, etc... so far, has any MP speak out on this? Perhaps they can impose levy on those with multiple maids.

    In the end, it only increases the costs of living here without clear justifications.
    The levy on the maids is essentially an income tax. That money was paid to the government and therefore not availiable to the employed. It is a TAX. How much is the levy? You can calculate the percentage and you will be astonished. The maids in singapore pay the highest percentage of what could be their before tax income to the singapore tax cofer. Is that fair?




    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    SINGAPORE: About 17 maid agencies in Singapore have increased the salary of new Indonesian maids. But others are undecided.

    Meanwhile some employers are concerned the agencies which have agreed to the pay rise are trying to control the market.

    But the 17 agencies maintain that the salary increment from S$380 to S$450 a month is to compete with Hong Kong and Taiwan in attracting more Indonesian maids to work in Singapore.

    Currently, the salary for an Indonesian maid in Hong Kong is about S$600, with Taiwan offering about S$800.

    But smaller agencies Channel NewsAsia spoke to said that attracting Indonesian maids to Singapore has not been a problem, and so they have not decided whether they will follow suit.

    Some employers also questioned whether the practice goes against anti-competition laws in Singapore.

    When contacted, the Competition Commission of Singapore said it could not advise whether the practice is anti-competitive or not without first conducting a thorough investigation.
    What we need is to spend hundreds of thousand dollars for some scholar to study this practice. Just tell me, which Indonesian maid would want to work in Singapore for S$450 or S$600 in HK, where they are guaranteed at least one day a week off.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    The sad thing is some are expected to be nurse too, either to take care elderly who are of various mental state, or mentally disabled children. I have seen maid in mrt who get slapped repeatedly by a mentally disabled teen, and the parents did not do anything. the maid just has to endure the bashing for 15 minutes.
    There is a case recently where the maid murdered a mentally disabled girl. Likely she has to die too.
    However nobody in the news raised the case if there are personality test to check if the maid is suitable for the heavy responsibilty. Nobody raise the need to have extra training.
    There are so many cases of maids falling down and died. Nobody raise the need to teach them about change of behaviour in high rise living. They are normally short (average height 150 cm) and they may not be able to reach the laundry poles.

    So many just want low cost, without considering the consequences of "low cost".
    Sometimes you really get what you paid. Lower cost = lower quality.
    It is just sad some are already paying or will be paying with their lives as a consequence of that low quality.
    I agree! I myself am not too short, just normal height form my age group: 1.67m, but when I do the laundry and put those poles outside my window, and I am standing bare feet in the kitchen, I can feel the load of the pole with clothing pulling on me, and if the floor is slippery I really can imagine falling!

    But then this would be more dangerous for taller persons.........

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    I agree! I myself am not too short, just normal height form my age group: 1.67m, but when I do the laundry and put those poles outside my window, and I am standing bare feet in the kitchen, I can feel the load of the pole with clothing pulling on me, and if the floor is slippery I really can imagine falling!

    But then this would be more dangerous for taller persons.........
    Actually more dangerous to shorter people, because not knowing any better, they will put a chair or stool next to the window, stand on it, and the rest is news (well now not any more also - it is just unreported statistics).

    And nicely this is not categorised under industrial accident, as they are domestic helper.
    Even better, their cases if any will probably not be handled by MOM, and levy payment is done at CPF building. Very convoluted categorisation and the numbers in the statistics are easily lost (not included).

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Actually more dangerous to shorter people, because not knowing any better, they will put a chair or stool next to the window, stand on it, and the rest is news (well now not any more also - it is just unreported statistics).

    And nicely this is not categorised under industrial accident, as they are domestic helper.
    Even better, their cases if any will probably not be handled by MOM, and levy payment is done at CPF building. Very convoluted categorisation and the numbers in the statistics are easily lost (not included).
    I think most of the falls are because they are cleaning the outside of the windows on a chair or stool, and yes, it is so dangerous! many will just want to do a good job, so they are going all out, or worse, they get reprimanded for not doing it properly (more likely)........

    There should be some solution to this in the design of the windows (e.g. revolving windows in the center of the window, then can clean both sides)

    HS

  9. #29

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    .... I dont mind paying the increase. But I really mind paying for the levy imposed by the government, no matter how little. I do not see the value of the levy, as it does not ease me of any financial burden, cheaper health care for the aged, etc... so far, has any MP speak out on this? Perhaps they can impose levy on those with multiple maids.

    In the end, it only increases the costs of living here without clear justifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by guseliz View Post
    Precisely.. Totally agree with u bro.
    Anybody knows what the levy for? I dont see either Employer or DH benefited from this levy.
    Levy is like coe. With the levy, only families that really need a maid will pay for one. My indonesian colleague mentioned to me before that her family and most relatives in indonesia have 2-3 maids, 1 driver and 1 gardener for each family and they are only upper middle class. If that happens here then whole singapore will be swamped with maids.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by victorlee10 View Post
    Levy is like coe. With the levy, only families that really need a maid will pay for one. My indonesian colleague mentioned to me before that her family and most relatives in indonesia have 2-3 maids, 1 driver and 1 gardener for each family and they are only upper middle class. If that happens here then whole singapore will be swamped with maids.
    That's because their salaries are very low in Indo.....

    If the government wants to lower the numbers of maids here, they can just increase the salary.....but no, they have to introduce a tax, so they also 'earn' from this

    As far I understand a levy originally is to offset the costs that the country loses by importing a worker instead of having a local to do the job, you see this as foreign workers here all have to pay a levy (usually borne by the employer).....BUT which current Singaporean wants to work as a maid, or as a construction worker? In practice, they don't take jobs away!

  11. #31

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    SINGAPORE: About 17 maid agencies in Singapore have increased the salary of new Indonesian maids. But others are undecided.

    Meanwhile some employers are concerned the agencies which have agreed to the pay rise are trying to control the market.

    But the 17 agencies maintain that the salary increment from S$380 to S$450 a month is to compete with Hong Kong and Taiwan in attracting more Indonesian maids to work in Singapore.

    Currently, the salary for an Indonesian maid in Hong Kong is about S$600, with Taiwan offering about S$800.

    But smaller agencies Channel NewsAsia spoke to said that attracting Indonesian maids to Singapore has not been a problem, and so they have not decided whether they will follow suit.

    Some employers also questioned whether the practice goes against anti-competition laws in Singapore.

    When contacted, the Competition Commission of Singapore said it could not advise whether the practice is anti-competitive or not without first conducting a thorough investigation.
    This came out on Voice on Today from a person who employs a maid that formerly works in HK before coming to Singapore. Based on the maid's feedback, not sure how true.
    Hong Kong is about S$600, but after deducting lodging and food, take home for a maid working in Hong Kong is about 300. Meaning Singapore pays better for overall take home income.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    For crying out loud, these maids are not making much. They are often given extreme responsibilities. I cannot understand, what Singaporean employers of domestic workers want? Slave lablor? Indenture labors?
    the mindset of some people nowadays, they think they rule the world with this holier attitude.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 26th January 2011 at 04:18 PM.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by hlyeoh View Post
    This came out on Voice on Today from a person who employs a maid that formerly works in HK before coming to Singapore. Based on the maid's feedback, not sure how true.
    Hong Kong is about S$600, but after deducting lodging and food, take home for a maid working in Hong Kong is about 300. Meaning Singapore pays better for overall take home income.
    i think its true.. cause i ever heard that maid in hkg, they dont stay with their employer. they rent a place to stay. but in singapore when we pay them $400+, we are providing them a roof, clothes, daily food and essentials (Which are all cost to employers) and if no off day, we have to pay them extra too... so i think spore maid is afterall slightly better.

    soon maid salary will be the same as us le =(
    follow me on twitter @wabuaysong

  14. #34

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by walk13 View Post
    i think its true.. cause i ever heard that maid in hkg, they dont stay with their employer. they rent a place to stay. but in singapore when we pay them $400+, we are providing them a roof, clothes, daily food and essentials (Which are all cost to employers) and if no off day, we have to pay them extra too... so i think spore maid is afterall slightly better.

    soon maid salary will be the same as us le =(
    Hmmm, ok, so its a matter of correcting what the agencies are saying that HK pays better as its not comparing apple to apple type of benefit and overall take home income.

    Not about the increment as pay increase is part of inflation but to get the facts right that Singapore may actually be paying better?

  15. #35

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by walk13 View Post
    i think its true.. cause i ever heard that maid in hkg, they dont stay with their employer. they rent a place to stay. but in singapore when we pay them $400+, we are providing them a roof, clothes, daily food and essentials (Which are all cost to employers) and if no off day, we have to pay them extra too... so i think spore maid is afterall slightly better.

    soon maid salary will be the same as us le =(
    I don't think its true, my uncle stays in HK his maid stays in his house. They provide lodging and food to the maid same like in Singapore. Those that stay outside probably are part time maids?

  16. #36

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    That's because their salaries are very low in Indo.....

    If the government wants to lower the numbers of maids here, they can just increase the salary.....but no, they have to introduce a tax, so they also 'earn' from this

    As far I understand a levy originally is to offset the costs that the country loses by importing a worker instead of having a local to do the job, you see this as foreign workers here all have to pay a levy (usually borne by the employer).....BUT which current Singaporean wants to work as a maid, or as a construction worker? In practice, they don't take jobs away!
    Doesn't matter what is the intention of the levy. Point is 600+ to the employer and 300+ to the maid is at an equilibrium level. Which is why there is no over / under supply of maids. If remove levy without increasing pay, more families will want maids. If remove levy and increase pay, demand for maids is the same but more uni grads from indo will want to come here to be maids. End up will emerge agreements like I say I will pay you 600+ but actually I only pay 300. Maids not willing to accept these terms will stay in indo and number of maids in singapore will be same as now.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by victorlee10 View Post
    Doesn't matter what is the intention of the levy. Point is 600+ to the employer and 300+ to the maid is at an equilibrium level. Which is why there is no over / under supply of maids. If remove levy without increasing pay, more families will want maids. If remove levy and increase pay, demand for maids is the same but more uni grads from indo will want to come here to be maids. End up will emerge agreements like I say I will pay you 600+ but actually I only pay 300. Maids not willing to accept these terms will stay in indo and number of maids in singapore will be same as now.
    what I meant is paying sgd 600+ to the maid directly (without levy), as I understand, most families prefer to pay the maid sgd 600 instead of paying more half of that as a levy

  18. #38
    Member guseliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    435

    Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

    Quote Originally Posted by victorlee10 View Post
    Levy is like coe. With the levy, only families that really need a maid will pay for one. My indonesian colleague mentioned to me before that her family and most relatives in indonesia have 2-3 maids, 1 driver and 1 gardener for each family and they are only upper middle class. If that happens here then whole singapore will be swamped with maids.
    i don't think it will be the case here if no levy then singapore will be swamped with maids..
    why? because here the standard housing is flat/apartment whereas in indonesia is private housing with min 2 or 3-storey which can provide enough room for them.

    if they really want to control it, like the other bro here saying, for instance, they can just impose a levy to those who employ for more than 1 or 2 DHs.



    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    That's because their salaries are very low in Indo.....

    If the government wants to lower the numbers of maids here, they can just increase the salary.....but no, they have to introduce a tax, so they also 'earn' from this

    As far I understand a levy originally is to offset the costs that the country loses by importing a worker instead of having a local to do the job, you see this as foreign workers here all have to pay a levy (usually borne by the employer).....BUT which current Singaporean wants to work as a maid, or as a construction worker? In practice, they don't take jobs away!


    if this is true levy to offset the country loses.. what i can say.. this is so "kiasu" mentality..

    what i can think of is.. the government here really don't want to lose (kiasu) with their neighbour countries... normally those countries who send their people out to work abroad benefited from it (source of income to the country too) whereas here it's the other way around..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •