Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

Default Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

SINGAPORE : The salaries of new Indonesian foreign domestic workers will soon rise.

17 major employment agencies in Singapore will increase the monthly salaries for the workers from S$380 to S$450. The increment will take effect by this week, they said.

Over the years, the supply of Indonesian maids in Singapore has been dwindling.

Employment agencies indicated that the shortage was due largely to demand from places such as Hong Kong and Taiwan.

The agencies recently met maid suppliers from Indonesia to try and resolve the issue. One solution is to provide better salaries.

Desmond Chin, group director, Nation Employment, said: "All the suppliers, they're facing difficult conditions to recruit. They are requesting us to match the maid's salary to HK$650, to match the salary to T$800, which is right now impossible.

"Maybe, we can do it step by step. So right now, we have agreed with the Indonesian supplier for the salary of S$450."

Many employment agencies in Singapore support the move.

The higher salary will not benefit the agencies or the suppliers, as there will be no change in the foreign placement fee.

Employment agencies said the change can help remove unhealthy practices among the agencies.

Tay Khoon Beng, director, Best Home Employment Agency, said: "If we don't have enough supply to applicants in the first place, eventually more and more agencies will poach one another's maids and offer 10 and 20 dollars increase in salary and transfer these helpers among Singaporean employers and this is even a worse scenario for us."

Employment agencies said it is up to employers to increase the salary of existing maids. They are also wary of the possibility of a small group of maids who may try to terminate their contracts so that they can be re-employed with the better salary.

Some employers feel any salary increase has to be gradual.

Samuel Teo, an employer of an Indonesian maid, said: "The other thing is that I also feel that, of course, when you pay more, you're expecting a very high quality from the maid. Will the maid be able to deliver?"

More than 70 per cent of maids working in Singapore are Indonesians and employment agencies said demand for these maids is still strong.

With the proposed salary increase for Indonesian maids, employment agencies also hope to increase the retention rate, giving them the incentive to work longer in Singapore.

- CNA/al
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Default Re: Higher salaries for New Indonesian foreign domestic workers

remember recently the underage maid incident. think the garmeh step up on checking the age of new maid. they better dont come out with new law. everytime new law comes out, sure got hike. at the end of the day, the citizen suffer

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    remember recently the underage maid incident. think the garmeh step up on checking the age of new maid. they better dont come out with new law. everytime new law comes out, sure got hike. at the end of the day, the citizen suffer
    agreed x2

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    SINGAPORE : The salaries of new Indonesian foreign domestic workers will soon rise.

17 major employment agencies in Singapore will increase the monthly salaries for the workers from S$380 to S$450. The increment will take effect by this week, they said.

Over the years, the supply of Indonesian maids in Singapore has been dwindling.

Employment agencies indicated that the shortage was due largely to demand from places such as Hong Kong and Taiwan.

The agencies recently met maid suppliers from Indonesia to try and resolve the issue. One solution is to provide better salaries.

Desmond Chin, group director, Nation Employment, said: "All the suppliers, they're facing difficult conditions to recruit. They are requesting us to match the maid's salary to HK$650, to match the salary to T$800, which is right now impossible.

"Maybe, we can do it step by step. So right now, we have agreed with the Indonesian supplier for the salary of S$450."

Many employment agencies in Singapore support the move.

The higher salary will not benefit the agencies or the suppliers, as there will be no change in the foreign placement fee.

Employment agencies said the change can help remove unhealthy practices among the agencies.

Tay Khoon Beng, director, Best Home Employment Agency, said: "If we don't have enough supply to applicants in the first place, eventually more and more agencies will poach one another's maids and offer 10 and 20 dollars increase in salary and transfer these helpers among Singaporean employers and this is even a worse scenario for us."

Employment agencies said it is up to employers to increase the salary of existing maids. They are also wary of the possibility of a small group of maids who may try to terminate their contracts so that they can be re-employed with the better salary.

Some employers feel any salary increase has to be gradual.

Samuel Teo, an employer of an Indonesian maid, said: "The other thing is that I also feel that, of course, when you pay more, you're expecting a very high quality from the maid. Will the maid be able to deliver?"

More than 70 per cent of maids working in Singapore are Indonesians and employment agencies said demand for these maids is still strong.

With the proposed salary increase for Indonesian maids, employment agencies also hope to increase the retention rate, giving them the incentive to work longer in Singapore.

- CNA/al
    For crying out loud, these maids are not making much. They are often given extreme responsibilities. I cannot understand, what Singaporean employers of domestic workers want? Slave lablor? Indenture labors?
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 23rd January 2011 at 06:23 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I saw this report on the news and Mr Samuel Teo's comments really cheesed me off. He is only paying such a small sum for another person to give up her family and life to support his and all he wants is the quality of work in return.

With the recent news reports on helpers not allowed to use amenities in condominiums, coupled with the resistance in this instance to show appreciation by increasing the wages of domestic helpers it really sheds light on the ill-treatment of domestic workers in Slave-a-pore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    For crying out loud, these maids are not making much. They are often given extreme responsibilities. I cannot understand, what Singaporean employers of domestic workers want? Slave lablor? Indenture labors?
    Well said.

I'm glad that at least some Singaporeans feel this way. It was not that long ago that our ancestors were the servants (my grandmother was 16 when she travelled to England to work as a maid).
    Many local employers of foreign maids apparently cannot distinguish between employment and servitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    I saw this report on the news and Mr Samuel Teo's comments really cheesed me off. He is only paying such a small sum for another person to give up her family and life to support his and all he wants is the quality of work in return.

With the recent news reports on helpers not allowed to use amenities in condominiums, coupled with the resistance in this instance to show appreciation by increasing the wages of domestic helpers it really sheds light on the ill-treatment of domestic workers in Slave-a-pore.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming
    W less maids, maybe we will start finding more of the young generation being able to do simple things like cook clean iron wash boil water...

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis
    I'm glad that at least some Singaporeans feel this way. It was not that long ago that our ancestors were the servants (my grandmother was 16 when she travelled to England to work as a maid).
    Many local employers of foreign maids apparently cannot distinguish between employment and servitude.
    Ppls only know complain abt personal salary nv increase .. Maid not impt to them, is just tool to do housework Best is if keep salary of maid stable for all time, then everyone can afford 5 Assam, one for each family member.

I lived in HK for 18 months, and in many instances I have seen Indonesian maids in HK chit chatting like friends with their lady bosses (in Cantonese haha) when doing groceries, such a good relationship, but I am sure there are bad bosses too there but generally they relationship is different to what I see generally here in Singapore............

I don't know if there is a difference between Singaporeans and Hong Kongers????? Aren't we all human beings????

They get better salaries there, for sure, but the problem here is that the Singapore government take up a huge portion as tax, in total the boss have to pay the same as in HK, but a huge part of it here goes to the government.....it is not they take jobs away, what? Which Singaporean wants to work as a maid???? Well, some housewives may feel that way here

Don't take things out of context, the law is already there, but just that the agnecies don't do their work, so in the end agencies make the mistakes, and you blame the government???? what logic is that?

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Don't take things out of context, the law is already there, but just that the agnecies don't do their work, so in the end agencies make the mistakes, and you blame the government???? what logic is that?
    i shall correct the word law to action. right, rule is there since 2004 but turn a blind eye to it

yes the law is there, but it is always when there is grievance to it, then they take action. precisely, it is the agency fault! they should get that cuplrit out and penalise them hard. but send out those warning letter abruptly to all agencies, making the agency stunned and flash out the underage FDWs. these caused a sudden dip in supply. could it mean all these years, our country FDWs are mostly supplied with underaged?

correct, it is their job to ascertain the maid age, but at the end of the day, they / supplier hike price to justify for it (maybe citing most go to Hong kong taiwan)

bear in mind that these ppl always have ways to work around it. bottom-line is if want to turn a blind eye, turn both off....

remember the school bus safety belt thingy. implemented the safety belt and what's next? the school bus fees hike citing the mini bus can have limited no of seats. in the end who pay for the fees hike? PARENTS of the kids! who suffer? the commoner

in this case, i am not saying safety should be put aside for lower transportation fees but they are always implementing cut-throat policy or in others words drastic.
    Last edited by dreaming; 23rd January 2011 at 10:59 PM.

i shall correct the word law to action. right, rule is there since 2004 but turn a blind eye to it

yes the law is there, but it is always when there is grievance to it, then they take action. precisely, it is the agency fault! they should get that cuplrit out and penalise them hard. but send out those warning letter abruptly to all agencies, making the agency stunned and flash out the underage FDWs. these caused a sudden dip in supply. could it mean all these years, our country FDWs are mostly supplied with underaged?

correct, it is their job to ascertain the maid age, but at the end of the day, they / supplier hike price to justify for it (maybe citing most go to Hong kong taiwan)

bear in mind that these ppl always have ways to work around it. bottom-line is if want to turn a blind eye, turn both off....

remember the school bus safety belt thingy. implemented the safety belt and what's next? the school bus fees hike citing the mini bus can have limited no of seats. in the end who pay for the fees hike? PARENTS of the kids! who suffer? the commoner

in this case, i am not saying safety should be put aside for lower transportation fees but they are always implementing cut-throat policy or in others words drastic.
    Are you saying you don't believe these maids earn more in HK and Taiwan? In HK they do earn a starting salary of sgd 650.........it is a fact, not an excuse used by the agencies to justify an increase of wages

If you e.g. can earn more at a certain company would not also want to work there instead of working for a lower paid job? It is just market forces at play.......

I do find it unreasonable to have the boss pay a levy for these maids as they are in effect not taking jobs away from Singaporeans, cause this does place the burden onto the maids boss, unless they levy is for something else (I still haven't figured out what it is for)

In fact, because many (really many) of these maids work overseas, there is now a real shortage of maids in Eastern Java (where the majority of the maids come from).......its like a funnel all leading to HK and Taiwan

And I don't blame these maids, it is their choice where they want to work

HS

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    W less maids, maybe we will start finding more of the young generation being able to do simple things like cook clean iron wash boil water...
    Yes. All children should learn how to do household chores, and earn extra allowance doing things like washing the family car and simple gardening or laundry.

I think maids are underpaid for what they do. Imagine waking up at 6/7am and going to bed at 10pm. Most maids don't even get a proper room and end having to sleep in the living room / kitchen. At the end of the year also no bonus / increment to look forward to. If my employer treats me that way I confirm will leaving in the first month.

My thinking was:

Why they are called maids??? I always refer them as helpers.....
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

My thinking was:

can't agree more.

They are domestic helpers/workers, not maids. Singaporeans should treat them like fellow persons instead of invalids or slaves. Treating them like friends or an important part of the family is more like it, but i guess it will be too much to ask for most/majority of employers here.

If cannot handle a family dont start one, if ownself cannot clean your house dont get one so big. As for how sgreans treat their maids, i have only this to say, a person's true nature is revealed if you give them power.
    Last edited by hmjt; 24th January 2011 at 02:31 PM.

My thinking was:

Calling them what really does not matter as long as they are treated with diginty and fairness.

Unfortunately, that does not seemed to be the case in Singapore. Well, at least, most who commented on this thread, will do the right thing.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

The sad thing is some are expected to be nurse too, either to take care elderly who are of various mental state, or mentally disabled children. I have seen maid in mrt who get slapped repeatedly by a mentally disabled teen, and the parents did not do anything. the maid just has to endure the bashing for 15 minutes.
    There is a case recently where the maid murdered a mentally disabled girl. Likely she has to die too.
    However nobody in the news raised the case if there are personality test to check if the maid is suitable for the heavy responsibilty. Nobody raise the need to have extra training.
    There are so many cases of maids falling down and died. Nobody raise the need to teach them about change of behaviour in high rise living. They are normally short (average height 150 cm) and they may not be able to reach the laundry poles.

So many just want low cost, without considering the consequences of "low cost".
    Sometimes you really get what you paid. Lower cost = lower quality.
    It is just sad some are already paying or will be paying with their lives as a consequence of that low quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast