Thread: In Solitude

Default In Solitude

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Exposure, Tone, Composition, post processing, etc.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I hope to create a poetic, unique composition.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    The photo was taken with reflections of a series of glass panels along a curving corridor at the SAM.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    A series of vertical glass panels side-lining a curved corridoor. A lone person gazing through the window. A beam of light sweeps diagonally across the intricately tiled floor.

Default Re: In Solitude

Hi all,

Please feel free to comment, positive and negative.
    Thanks!

Hey,

Love the title and concept... Just a few things though... I would have liked it even more if the symmetry had been better. The symmetry somehow does not show, esp towards the center of the pic. The other thing that could make the pic better would be if the subject were standing in a pose more in-sync with the title. I like the B&W processing although there is slight overexposure at the background. Nice work with the idea of multiple reflections of a person clouding the reality of his solitude...

Thanks for the detailed comments! I agree about the pose of the person. I hadn't thought about that b4 u pointed it out actually. Yup i guess i shouldnt have dodged the highlights, as i had thought the trees outside the windows were distracting... this was quite honestly a lucky shot, as it was a spontaneous one.

Blog Entries

love the image but if you're posting THIS, I suspect its a 1-shot effort. I'm not too hot on the way the scene is metered.... if deliberate, you seemed to have exposed to capture as much shadows as possible .... as a result the messiness with the totally blown highlights left and right .... if thats the mood inteded, then I take what I say back

If not.....then I dont think u need to sing this mantra for this image.... go ahead lose those shadows and go for the blacks and contrast .... meter outside the window (and maybe bracket or add a couple more exposures at +1/2 +1 +2 +3 ev for insurance) the foreground's

Focus on enhancing the main theme (repeating patterns?) .... yes foreground is nice and adds to the scene BUT it is not your theme .... try a simple slide along both ends in Levels in PS ..... BUT the first thing in taking care of business is.... DONT lose details to blown out highlights

ok good luck !! and thank you for the perspective
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast