Thread: fungus lens

Default fungus lens

is it advisable to put the fungus lens with good condition lens together in dry box? besides is there any prefer location to put a dry box , ie near the place where sunlight

Default Re: fungus lens

For me i just sun the fungus infected lens for a few days before putting them together in dri cabi. Sometimes i do use the lens cause i know the fungus has been killed. The fungus spot will become smaller when they die.

personally i won't. just sun it for a few days and see if the situation improve.
    Playing with M43.

Dry box placed into sunlight will be a good BBQ for your gear. Not sure what you want to achieve with a grilled camera, though. Store your camera in defined and stable conditions, away from sunlight.
    EOS

Dry box placed into sunlight will be a good BBQ for your gear. Not sure what you want to achieve with a grilled camera, though. Store your camera in defined and stable conditions, away from sunlight.
    not sure bout the grilling part but I can bet you'll have to get new rubber grips for your camera.

so just Sun the lens then put it in the dry box, the fungus will be killed. anyone tried it before?
    www.************/hugemouth

Exposing lens to sunlight may not advisable, although can remove some mild fungus but it will damage inside secondary glass due to uncontrolled temp.
    Try it with my old lens the optics turns yellow and the picture quality will be affected and will result to soft photos.
    Perhaps u can try UV-C lamp inside a box its a bit effective for removing mild fungus but takes a couple of days exposing lens to the lamp without harming high temp.

Blog Entries

Why don't you send it in to get it professionally cleaned?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    Why don't you send it in to get it professionally cleaned?
    Where to get it professionally cleaned and how much?

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoeh View Post
    Service centers might be cheaper. You can also get it cleaned at P&G, the camera workshop or camera hospital etc etc. Should be around $60-$70.

The costs will depend on the extend of infection / cleaning and the efforts to dismantle the lens. No standard costing.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by ngck12 View Post
    For me i just sun the fungus infected lens for a few days before putting them together in dri cabi. Sometimes i do use the lens cause i know the fungus has been killed. The fungus spot will become smaller when they die.
    the fungi may die, but the spots/stain will will not be completely eliminated right?

Blog Entries

the fungi may die, but the spots/stain will will not be completely eliminated right?
    fungus will never die 100%.

fungus spores are every where in everything. It is just waiting for the right condition to grow. That's all.