Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black and White film processing course (4th intake)

Quote Originally Posted by pixeer
    Whichever advertising thread posted on behalf of, or by, Stanley Lim Colour Center will turn into a hornet's nest if any post is deemed to be against the agenda of the Stanley Lim Colour Center and their followers.

Posters beware; even if you are posting in terms of general photography's sake.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....1&postcount=30
    Just look at what happen to sfhuang in an earlier post to share information thru a similar thread. This trend is obvious.

The message is clear...... "If you wanna post anything that may seem to be against their interests, beat it! Get lost! Or face a barrage from blind,myopioc supporters who will attack whatever you post and decimate you."

This is an open forum. Expect positive, negative, neutral or no response. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Forum = a public meeting place for open discussion. Perhaps the clubsnap admin should consider a paid area for advertising where no response is allowed. On the other hand, Clubsnap can generate revenue from the merchants. Do not pull in questions regarding high level ethics when some post is deemed, or mistakened to be, off-aligned to your interests. Advertise in the Straits Times, iPhoto or other free photomags..... for goodness sake!
    I am a newbie and I thought clubsnap is a forum for sharing of thoughts and knowledge of photography. I hope that you can review your own posts before critizing others. Even student has already stop arguing due to the misunderstanding. Do you know what you are doing is just simply a disgrace to yourself, but that does not matter, you are disgracing the entire population of Singapore. I think foreigners will be laughing at this thread.

We are just a small interest group for photography but even without seeing your actual person, we already know that you are rude and talk no standard.

To whomever that are concerned about this issue, please ignore whatever he say.

pixeer, I am not afraid of whatever you say but if you wish to carry on, do so at the expense of further discrediting yourself and showing that you have no standard.

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock
    may i ask..what is the the merits of taking ONLy the B&W film processing course and not printing?

A few other courses i check out..eg objectstifs , SAFRA integrated film process & printing into their B&W course as one.

so if one just learn B&W film processing what is he going to do next? send to some1 to print? send to lab to print? or dun print..just scan or take another PRinting course? (is there a dedicated printing course?) or maybe do nothing, just do learn how to process film and then file away the negatives?

just curious, toto38( assuming you are the instructor) where do u do yr B&W print? would you consider passing printing knowledge too?
    Nowadays, I am using my own machine to print but of course I know about printing in the darkroom (dodging and burning, etc...) I found that developing of film is much more important than printing. If your film is already processed wrongly, there is no turning back, not to mention about printing.

Currently, you can send the negatives to professional color labs and request them to print on color paper. By printing with a lab, you have the option of toning (sepia, bluish, reddish, etc..). Not everyone have the luxury to stay in the darkroom for long periods of time to print.

If you are truely interested in learning printing, come down to my place and we can talk about it during my kopi time.

Quote Originally Posted by pixeer
    Whichever advertising thread posted on behalf of, or by, Stanley Lim Colour Center will turn into a hornet's nest if any post is deemed to be against the agenda of the Stanley Lim Colour Center and their followers.

Posters beware; even if you are posting in terms of general photography's sake.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....1&postcount=30
    Just look at what happen to sfhuang in an earlier post to share information thru a similar thread. This trend is obvious.

The message is clear...... "If you wanna post anything that may seem to be against their interests, beat it! Get lost! Or face a barrage from blind,myopioc supporters who will attack whatever you post and decimate you."

This is an open forum. Expect positive, negative, neutral or no response. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Forum = a public meeting place for open discussion. Perhaps the clubsnap admin should consider a paid area for advertising where no response is allowed. On the other hand, Clubsnap can generate revenue from the merchants. Do not pull in questions regarding high level ethics when some post is deemed, or mistakened to be, off-aligned to your interests. Advertise in the Straits Times, iPhoto or other free photomags..... for goodness sake!
    By observing and looking at the earlier thread which you posted & commented, I can see clearly you are just here to create a flame here as well. True it's an open forum for everyone but not for you to generate a flaming issue here. If you find this thread is not to your liking, just ignore it. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Toto38
    Nowadays, I am using my own machine to print but of course I know about printing in the darkroom (dodging and burning, etc...) I found that developing of film is much more important than printing. If your film is already processed wrongly, there is no turning back, not to mention about printing.

Currently, you can send the negatives to professional color labs and request them to print on color paper. By printing with a lab, you have the option of toning (sepia, bluish, reddish, etc..). Not everyone have the luxury to stay in the darkroom for long periods of time to print.

If you are truely interested in learning printing, come down to my place and we can talk about it during my kopi time.
    We are straying from the original content of this thread. Again, apologies to Qinglai. But I think this is important.

The main objective of processing the negatives yourself is to try to exert full control on the final result, to have the negatives you want. Other reasons is ?cost savings and just for fun. However, for most members of this forum, I doubt that it means very much. The reason is this: most of you use 35 mm films. In a 35mm roll, there are 36 frames with all sorts of pictures with all sorts of exposure, and there is no way you can "tailor" the development to all the pictures in that roll. So what you have is an approximation, Yes, you can make alteration. For example, Ilford HP5 can be quite grainy, but rating it at ASA 160 and developing it in perceptol can make for a very pleasing almost grainless negative. But you will have to be a rather dedicated person to be able to do such things to your negatives.

I tend to have a different view from Toto38. I am sure that modern machines are quite remarkable. But if all I want to do is to shoot with silver emulsions (meaning films like Tri-X etc, NOT XP2 or TCN), develop the films and then get the machines to print for me, I think there are better ways to do things. I would not not shoot in the traditional B&W films. For one, silver negatives can be difficult to scan. The silver halides tend to scatter light. So your negatives should be "thinner" which is not so good for conventional darkroom printing. But a "thin" neative is not what most people would aim for, especially for traditional printers who use diffused enlarger light source. It may be better for people who use condensor light.

If I want to get the machines to print for me. I would shoot digital or color, and then convert them digitally to black & white and get them printed. It is a lot easier. Besides isnt it true that some have mentioned that you do not have time or facilities for printing?

About the negatives being "more important". Yes obviously if there is no negative, there can be no printing. A good negative makes printing a lot easier. But the skills of a great printer can produce an amazing print from what looks like an ordinary. Of course such things can be created digitally, but if that is the case, why go the conventional B&W route?

Quote Originally Posted by Toto38

Something came to mind when I was driving to work. Actually Henri Cartier-Bresson don't even develop his own negatives, let alone print them. But he have something which most of us don't - LOTS OF MONEY! So he just took photographs! There are of course many photogs who do not process their negatives nor print them. I was told, correct me if I am wrong, Russell Wong send his negatives out to process and to print, at least nowadays.

Certainly what Toto38 said about color labs printing on color papers is an option. But there are others. Develop your negatives yourself (cannot blame others for bad jobs, but pat yourself in the back for an excellent negative), and then get a professional black & white printer (a person, not a machine) to get it printed on silver paper. You can get it toned sepia, green, blue, purple, copper, magenta etc and combinations of those in a traditional darkroom! ( But toners are harder to get nowadays in Singapore - I get mine from overseas when I travel or I harass my friends! NO! I won't sell them).

While machine printed photos can be quite nice, I think the traditional black & white silver prints are really quite different. I dont think anyone will argue with that. I wont say which is better. That is in the eye of the beholder.

Default Update!

Due to a last minute incoming project, we have been forced to change the start date of the 4th intake for the B&W Processing Course. The course will now commence on Thursday, 19 August, 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades
    By observing and looking at the earlier thread which you posted & commented, I can see clearly you are just here to create a flame here as well. True it's an open forum for everyone but not for you to generate a flaming issue here. If you find this thread is not to your liking, just ignore it. Simple as that.
    Yes! I strongly agreed with Godzilla Invades. It seem like pixeer join the CS not for sharing the joy and the knowledge of the photography but for the seek of create altercation.

Of course only those ppl who had attended the course will known is this really good or just bushing, is nothing wrong to tell others after they had attended the course. Singaporean like to complain when things go wrong,but will keep quiet when things are going well. It is a good sign for this, voice out not only when things go wrong but also when things go well.So stop saying that they are blind supporters.

A lot of ppl like fast food and if you are one of them, you can't say those ppl who do not like fast food are stupid. So if you think you are not happy to see ppl enjoy the fun,you can just go out of this thread.
    Last edited by wuliao88; 2nd August 2004 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PLRBEAR
    Due to a last minute incoming project, we have been forced to change the start date of the 4th intake for the B&W Processing Course. The course will now commence on Thursday, 19 August, 2004.

Due to the busy project, I am afarid that the 4th intake must postpone to September. I am very sorry about this. I will confirm the date by end of this week. Thank you for sharing and enjoy the world of photography.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123