Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black and White film processing course (4th intake)

Quote Originally Posted by student

In fact I don't even "extract" the 35 mm film. I just remove a side of the film container, plop out the film, snip the edges and then load the films on to the reels.
    And u mean u are not even extracting the film??

Quote Originally Posted by NiVleK
    student: I would appreciate you would at least respect the thread starter or Stanley Lim Color Center. If you wish to conduct any lessons or ask ppl to learn from you, do so in your own thread or PM them. It is unethical to do what you are doing above.
    Snazzy & NiVlek

I hope you guys (?!) do not mind me saying this. Please read my posts carefully. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU ACCUSE ME OF "UNETHICAL" BEHAVIOR!

I had not inflamed anybody at all. I had said in essence that you don't need a darkroom to process. I had also said, in response to kim8luv that what was considered as "special technique' - referring to the 15 minutes, is really nothing special. Please also read that I had mentioned that Stanley will teach attendees many useful things. Implicit in that statement is this "PLEASE GO AND LEARN FROM STANLEY"! I think I have accorded Stanley all the respect and courtesy. I do not who Stanley is. But I pointed out that a 15 minutes development time, in itself, is not something special. Please read again what kim8Luv wrote "he also teaches his own technique of developing where all you need is about 15 minutes of time....." All I have done in my post is to point out that this in itself is nothing special. For those of you who know this website, or even if you do not know check it out -www.digitaltruth.com and check its Massive Development Chart. You will find in this website lots of information on film development. Many development are in the 5-6 minutes time frame, and factoring in stop bath and quick fixer, well under 15 minutes. And Snazzy, sorry, where did I say that my 10 minutes is special?

RZ67 then wrote to me in the public forum and said he did not understand what I wrote. He specifically asked if I could teach him. I am more than happy to teach anybody who is keen to learn. I responded to him that I am willing to teach and asked him to contact me through PM.

I do not know how Snazzy can interpret my intention as "touting" for students! Perhaps my undertanding of the word "touting" is quite different from yours.

I also cannot understand how NiVlek can insinuate that I am conducting lessions or ask people to learn from me! I had responded to a direct question from rz67 with a direct answer. That offer to teach is to rz67 alone because HE ASKED ME.

Perhaps my mistake is to respond to rz67 in the open forum as he wrote to me in the open forum.

Nonetheless I would appreciate Snazzy and NiVlek to please in future read carefully before making inappropriate remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by anavrin
    And u mean u are not even extracting the film??
    Before you and I are accused hijacking the thread, and being unethical, a quick answer to your question.

Yes! I do not "extract" the film with those extractors. I learnt to process my 35 mm first from Mr Lim Seng Tiong at the Substation. All we use was a can opener from the kitchen, open the film cannister at one end, flop out the film, clip off the leader, and insert the films into the reels. After hundreds and hundreds of rolls of film, I have never seen a scratch yet. Scratches were usually caused by squeegee. I don't do that anymore.

For othe questions, PM me.

The course runs for 4 lessons in total.
    hmm, thanks!

Dear Student,

I apologize for misinterpreting your intentions. Let us end this here shall we? Not exactly condusive for the development of this thread.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy
    Dear Student,

I apologize for misinterpreting your intentions. Let us end this here shall we? Not exactly condusive for the development of this thread.

Thank you!
    Thank you!

And just for information, I DO NOT conduct classes. I don't have a need to, and I don't want to. But if someone would like me to share whatever little I know, I am willing, time allowing. I sincerely wish Stanley and all other people who conduct classes of all sorts to do well! The few persons I gave instructions to came to my "darkroom", used my time, used my chemicals, used my enlarger, used my fibre papers, and did not pay a cent at all! I did it purely because I love photography and want to help in whatever little spare time I have.

Thank you!

And just for information, I DO NOT conduct classes. I don't have a need to, and I don't want to. But if someone would like me to share whatever little I know, I am willing, time allowing. I sincerely wish Stanley and all other people who conduct classes of all sorts to do well! The few persons I gave instructions to came to my "darkroom", used my time, used my chemicals, used my enlarger, used my fibre papers, and did not pay a cent at all! I did it purely because I love photography and want to help in whatever little spare time I have.

Hi ! Student , here i am , i think they misunderstand you , but well done , you are not selfish to share your knowledge of photography keep it up !!! don't be sad or angry lah ! it always what you see is not what you get in photography , short words can't tell everything in photography ! feel free drop by my place and share the world of photography .
    Last edited by Toto38; 29th July 2004 at 02:50 AM.

Any way , here's a brief breakdown of lessons and the items included in our course :

Course of lesson :4

1. Theory on film and processing
    2. Hand-on processing & reading negative
    3. Pushing and review ( Test your film & your processing latitude )
    4. pulling and review ( Film & your processing latitude )

This course includes :

1. 1 processing tank with 2 plastic reels
    2. 1 measuring cylinder 250ml
    3. 1 graduated beaker
    4. 1 film wiper
    5. 1 set of film clippers
    6. 1 dark bag
    7. 1 film picker
    8. 1 small scissors

The whole set cost about $150 and is your's after the course so that you can process your own any time . Call joanne @ 98583502 ask for more detail . Hurry up !

Quote Originally Posted by Toto38
    Hi ! Student , here i am , i think they misunderstand you , but well done , you are not selfish to share your knowledge of photography keep it up !!! don't be sad or angry lah ! it always what you see is not what you get in photography , short words can't tell everything in photography ! feel free drop by my place and share the world of photography .
    Thank you for your encouragement!

No, I am not upset at all. Just a little disappointed. Misunderstandings and conflicts arise because people do not read/listen carefully. Ofen the careless reader or listener latch on to a phrase/word and forget the context, and then they ascribe meanings/intent which were not there

Default A repeated incident?

Whichever advertising thread posted on behalf of, or by, Stanley Lim Colour Center will turn into a hornet's nest if any post is deemed to be against the agenda of the Stanley Lim Colour Center and their followers.

Posters beware; even if you are posting in terms of general photography's sake.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....1&postcount=30
    Just look at what happen to sfhuang in an earlier post to share information thru a similar thread. This trend is obvious.

The message is clear...... "If you wanna post anything that may seem to be against their interests, beat it! Get lost! Or face a barrage from blind,myopioc supporters who will attack whatever you post and decimate you."

This is an open forum. Expect positive, negative, neutral or no response. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Forum = a public meeting place for open discussion. Perhaps the clubsnap admin should consider a paid area for advertising where no response is allowed. On the other hand, Clubsnap can generate revenue from the merchants. Do not pull in questions regarding high level ethics when some post is deemed, or mistakened to be, off-aligned to your interests. Advertise in the Straits Times, iPhoto or other free photomags..... for goodness sake!

Snazzy & NiVlek

I hope you guys (?!) do not mind me saying this. Please read my posts carefully. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU ACCUSE ME OF "UNETHICAL" BEHAVIOR!

I had not inflamed anybody at all. I had said in essence that you don't need a darkroom to process. I had also said, in response to kim8luv that what was considered as "special technique' - referring to the 15 minutes, is really nothing special. Please also read that I had mentioned that Stanley will teach attendees many useful things. Implicit in that statement is this "PLEASE GO AND LEARN FROM STANLEY"! I think I have accorded Stanley all the respect and courtesy. I do not who Stanley is. But I pointed out that a 15 minutes development time, in itself, is not something special. Please read again what kim8Luv wrote "he also teaches his own technique of developing where all you need is about 15 minutes of time....." All I have done in my post is to point out that this in itself is nothing special. For those of you who know this website, or even if you do not know check it out -www.digitaltruth.com and check its Massive Development Chart. You will find in this website lots of information on film development. Many development are in the 5-6 minutes time frame, and factoring in stop bath and quick fixer, well under 15 minutes. And Snazzy, sorry, where did I say that my 10 minutes is special?

RZ67 then wrote to me in the public forum and said he did not understand what I wrote. He specifically asked if I could teach him. I am more than happy to teach anybody who is keen to learn. I responded to him that I am willing to teach and asked him to contact me through PM.

I do not know how Snazzy can interpret my intention as "touting" for students! Perhaps my undertanding of the word "touting" is quite different from yours.

I also cannot understand how NiVlek can insinuate that I am conducting lessions or ask people to learn from me! I had responded to a direct question from rz67 with a direct answer. That offer to teach is to rz67 alone because HE ASKED ME.

Perhaps my mistake is to respond to rz67 in the open forum as he wrote to me in the open forum.

Nonetheless I would appreciate Snazzy and NiVlek to please in future read carefully before making inappropriate remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Toto38
    Any way , here's a brief breakdown of lessons and the items included in our course :

Course of lesson :4

1. Theory on film and processing
    2. Hand-on processing & reading negative
    3. Pushing and review ( Test your film & your processing latitude )
    4. pulling and review ( Film & your processing latitude )

This course includes :

1. 1 processing tank with 2 plastic reels
    2. 1 measuring cylinder 250ml
    3. 1 graduated beaker
    4. 1 film wiper
    5. 1 set of film clippers
    6. 1 dark bag
    7. 1 film picker
    8. 1 small scissors

The whole set cost about $150 and is your's after the course so that you can process your own any time . Call joanne @ 98583502 ask for more detail . Hurry up !

The content of this course looks quite comprehensive. Of course they are more to film processing than what this course offers. Nonetheless I wish that when I started in my B&W photography I have a course like this. What I learnt in the substation was a LOT more basic than this! Much of what I know now were results of lots of trials and errors. I am sure attendees to your course would have a much better foundation to B&W photography than I did when I first started.

Thank you for your encouragement!

No, I am not upset at all. Just a little disappointed. Misunderstandings and conflicts arise because people do not read/listen carefully. Ofen the careless reader or listener latch on to a phrase/word and forget the context, and then they ascribe meanings/intent which were not there
    You will learn, just like someone did.... earlier.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....8&postcount=35
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    pixeer thanks for vouching for me. Really appreciate it.

Anyway I apologize if I have offended anyone here. It's truly not my intention. I am not going to post any more info or recommendations on courses/shoots I've attended in this forum, simply because I do not stand for any of those courses and really have no business interests in advertising them. I thought I could share the info with people who share the same passion for photography. That was my sole reason for 'hijacking' this thread.

sfhuang out.
    Last edited by pixeer; 29th July 2004 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pixeer
    You will learn, just like someone did.... earlier.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....8&postcount=35
    Thank you, Pixeer for your comments.

Believe me, I had gone through more than the "animosity" generated in this thread. However, unlike sfhuang, I will not apologize, because as what you have written, this is an open forum, and what I had done was to clarify certain "ideas". I was wrongly accused of soliciting students, and I do appreciate Snazzy's response. This is civilized behaviour.

This experience will not stop me giving my own opinion on diverse issues relating to photography, just as I appreciate diverse opinions by others. Whether we agree with each other or not is another matter. At the end of it, despite occasional hiccoughs in such forums/discussions one still learn, and that is the important thing to me, and hopefully to others too.

I know such thing will recur, especially when there is a vested interest. This is unavoidable. History repeats itself. And poor readers/listeners are a dime a dozen. But this should not stop sane and sensible discussions and disagreements.

Perhaps the clubsnap admin should consider a paid area for advertising where no response is allowed. On the other hand, Clubsnap can generate revenue from the merchants.
    Perhaps it might be inappropriate for me to comment on this as I am new to this forum. No offence meant to Stanley or other people offering paid courses. But I think there is a genuine merit in Pixeer's suggestion.

Companies/photogs/whatever who advertise paid courses are actually making money from this forum. Isn't it appropriate that Clubsnap should charge something? In www.largeformatphotography.info, repeated advertisement are not allowed. They do not charge for advertising. But they do not condone repeated advertisement.

Of course CS do not have to follow others, but perhaps something to mull over?

Whichever advertising thread posted on behalf of, or by, Stanley Lim Colour Center will turn into a hornet's nest if any post is deemed to be against the agenda of the Stanley Lim Colour Center and their followers.

Posters beware; even if you are posting in terms of general photography's sake.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....1&postcount=30
    Just look at what happen to sfhuang in an earlier post to share information thru a similar thread. This trend is obvious.

The message is clear...... "If you wanna post anything that may seem to be against their interests, beat it! Get lost! Or face a barrage from blind,myopioc supporters who will attack whatever you post and decimate you."

This is an open forum. Expect positive, negative, neutral or no response. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Forum = a public meeting place for open discussion. Perhaps the clubsnap admin should consider a paid area for advertising where no response is allowed. On the other hand, Clubsnap can generate revenue from the merchants. Do not pull in questions regarding high level ethics when some post is deemed, or mistakened to be, off-aligned to your interests. Advertise in the Straits Times, iPhoto or other free photomags..... for goodness sake!
    This is uncalled for, and appears to be nothing but a personal attack. What does this have to do with a B&W processing course? Despite the fact that a forum might be a public place, the proper sub-category for your comments should be "Kopitiam" or "Feedback". There're places reserved for your brand of chest-thumping, it's hardly appropriate to barge into an advertisement for a course.

As somebody who's attended Stanley's course, I don't suppose i can safely say i don't have some kind of agenda ("oh sure, after all, you used to be one of stanley's students..."), but from as objective a point of view as possible, I found the course to be very useful for someone with absolutely no self-processing experience, if B&W processing is what you're interested in.

It'll make sense for you to try to get to know Stanley, or even the other members of this forum, a little better, before you launch off on your little crusade.

P.s. Student, my 2-cents about paid advertisements: it's going to filter right back down to the students who take up the course in the end, isn't it? Who really benefits in here, and exactly how is that going to make things better for the people who really matter, ie. you & me?

student: I do apologize for my misunderstanding of your intentions. Sorry about that.

Back on track, true to a forum's purpose of free speech or "sharing" of information, there is a certain place or sections to post appropriate comments/remarks. By what pixeer said, it is just pure flame bait. It is akin to a thread in Buy/Sell Section where a seller posts a thread wanting to sell a camera but someone comes in to say that he is also selling that same camera. Well, that is not a right behaviour so to say. If one has been using the internet or any other forums for some time, it will be obvious to know that such behaviour of "hijacking" threads is frowned upon. If you like to be a troll, go ahead and troll eslewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tingchiyen

P.s. Student, my 2-cents about paid advertisements: it's going to filter right back down to the students who take up the course in the end, isn't it? Who really benefits in here, and exactly how is that going to make things better for the people who really matter, ie. you & me?
    Chiyen,

Haha! I knew I should keep my mouth shut on this. We are really off topic here and I want to apologise to the person who started this thread.

You are absolutely right that with paid advertisement, there is a real possibility that the cost might be passed on to the customers/students, and here I have my full sympathy . However this is not invariable. I run a "business" and I have overheads to pay. Sometimes my cost goes up for whatever reason. But it does not mean that I pass that to my "customers". Very often I absorb the increased cost instead of passing the cost to the customers. It means that I earn less. It is OK for me, unless of course if absorbing the cost put me into the red, then I decide if I should pass the cost to the customers or to stop "selling" that "product".

No, I am not advocating that CS start charging for advertisement. But merely a suggestion to mull over. I am not familiar with the nitty-gritty of hosting a website. But do the "owner" of the website like CS need to pay something to maintain it? I am really speaking out of ignorance. Correct me if I am wrong. But if payment is required, who pays? Certainly I did not pay to join CS! Or are there "sponsors"?

student: I do apologize for my misunderstanding of your intentions. Sorry about that.

Back on track, true to a forum's purpose of free speech or "sharing" of information, there is a certain place or sections to post appropriate comments/remarks. By what pixeer said, it is just pure flame bait. It is akin to a thread in Buy/Sell Section where a seller posts a thread wanting to sell a camera but someone comes in to say that he is also selling that same camera. Well, that is not a right behaviour so to say. If one has been using the internet or any other forums for some time, it will be obvious to know that such behaviour of "hijacking" threads is frowned upon. If you like to be a troll, go ahead and troll eslewhere.
    Thank you for your note. Let us move on.

But is your second paragraph directed to me or to Pixeer? I am a little confused. Certainly I did not offer "to sell a camera in somebody's camera advertisement!" I would not agree to that at all! I agree with you 100% that that is not a right behaviour, and I personally do not condone that sort of behaviour. But I really did not try to sell anything!!!!! Up to the point of rz67 asking me a direct answer-I had direct my answer to rz67 alone.

About "hijacking threads". Yes this happens very often. Thread have a life of its own, and very often something comes along, and things goes off in a tangent. I am aware of that. But most of the time, such "hijacks" are benign, although it would be definitely more appropriate to start a new thread. But it actually is very interesting/enlightening to see the context on how the tangent goes off!

Thank you for your note. Let us move on.

But is your second paragraph directed to me or to Pixeer? I am a little confused. Certainly I did not offer "to sell a camera in somebody's camera advertisement!" I would not agree to that at all! I agree with you 100% that that is not a right behaviour, and I personally do not condone that sort of behaviour. But I really did not try to sell anything!!!!! Up to the point of rz67 asking me a direct answer-I had direct my answer to rz67 alone.

About "hijacking threads". Yes this happens very often. Thread have a life of its own, and very often something comes along, and things goes off in a tangent. I am aware of that. But most of the time, such "hijacks" are benign, although it would be definitely more appropriate to start a new thread. But it actually is very interesting/enlightening to see the context on how the tangent goes off!
    Nah. My second paragraph wasnt directed at you. It was meant for everyone but more particularly at pixeer. Lets stop and move on.

Default film processing course

may i ask..what is the the merits of taking ONLy the B&W film processing course and not printing?

A few other courses i check out..eg objectstifs , SAFRA integrated film process & printing into their B&W course as one.

so if one just learn B&W film processing what is he going to do next? send to some1 to print? send to lab to print? or dun print..just scan or take another PRinting course? (is there a dedicated printing course?) or maybe do nothing, just do learn how to process film and then file away the negatives?

just curious, toto38( assuming you are the instructor) where do u do yr B&W print? would you consider passing printing knowledge too?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast