Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie on board

Default Re: Newbie on board

Welcome to the photography board.

For lens wise, if you want something real decent and inexpensive, get the 50mm first. Unless you prefer the kit lens provided. =)

Quote Originally Posted by josho
    Welcome to the photography board.

For lens wise, if you want something real decent and inexpensive, get the 50mm first. Unless you prefer the kit lens provided. =)
    Thanks I M going to buy 17-40 f/4L and 50 f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbear View Post
    Thanks for the advices. What would be your recommendation on the lens for 550d?
    Start with your kit lens. Once you know where the limitations are it becomes clearer which lens to get. Apart from the standard kit lenses 18-55 IS and 18-135 IS the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (VR and non-VR available) gets quite good responses, I use it also. You may also consider other lenses in Canon line-up, like 17-85 IS USM.
    All these lenses cover a wider range of focal length (vulgo: zoom range) which might be more beneficial for you as a beginner. But finally: your call, your money
    EOS

Welcome to CS

Hi, a friend said I should get filter to protect the lens from scratch and dust. Will adding a filter reduce the light getting in hence the brightness? What's better? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbear
    Hi, a friend said I should get filter to protect the lens from scratch and dust. Will adding a filter reduce the light getting in hence the brightness? What's better? Thanks
    No it will be minimal. Get Uv filter. Image quality will degrade slightly. If you get Hoya, Kenko or B+W this will not be visible.

You will get flaring and ghosting at night or when having conc light source ard, so remove filter on such occasions.

Some ppl like me don't see need for filter protection. There have been cases where you drop and filter shattered and the shards scratch lens. I guess filter might help when you knock something not drop.

Anyways to each his own. Personally I view filter protection as more psychological than anything.

The effects will be visible if you use cheap filters. If you think about a lens like 17-40 then a quality filter is only logical. But as mentioned by edutilos-, the protection effect is quite overrated. Nice sales tactics as well. Get a lens hood. Blocks stray light and has aprotective function as well. It's plastic, it can take a few bumps where filters will break.
    Read more about filters: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029
    EOS

Welcome to CS...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

Hello and welcome
    Start by shooting more and view more photos to learn from each other =)
    here's my humble photos LINK
    www.************/hugemouth

Thanks I M going to buy 17-40 f/4L and 50 f/1.8
    First of all, welcome on board!! Hope you will enjoy shooting anything and everything!

I'd suggest u get the 17-55mm f/2.8 if u can afford it. You will definitely appreciate the extra 2 stops of light in most situations. I personally use f/2.8 lenses and they do make a lot of difference especially in low light situations. Moreover, it comes with IS as well.

Then go get either the 28mm f/2.8($389 RRP) or the 35mm f2($529 RRP). This will work out to be between 45mm and 56mm in the 1.6x crop on your 550D which is more like the 50mm field of view on a FF sensor. U will soon find the 50mm f/1.8 angle a little too tight for most shots and u will have to stand back quite a bit.
    Last edited by Seeto; 25th January 2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Add information

Quote Originally Posted by Seeto View Post
    First of all, welcome on board!! Hope you will enjoy shooting anything and everything!

I'd suggest u get the 17-55mm f/2.8 if u can afford it. You will definitely appreciate the extra 2 stops of light in most situations. I personally use f/2.8 lenses and they do make a lot of difference especially in low light situations. Moreover, it comes with IS as well.

Then go get either the 28mm f/2.8($389 RRP) or the 35mm f2($529 RRP). This will work out to be between 45mm and 56mm in the 1.6x crop on your 550D which is more like the 50mm field of view on a FF sensor. U will soon find the 50mm f/1.8 angle a little too tight for most shots and u will have to stand back quite a bit.
    Thanks Seeto for your advice. I will try out the lenses you have suggested but the 17-55 is kind of over my budget cheers

Smile Re: Newbie on board

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The effects will be visible if you use cheap filters. If you think about a lens like 17-40 then a quality filter is only logical. But as mentioned by edutilos-, the protection effect is quite overrated. Nice sales tactics as well. Get a lens hood. Blocks stray light and has aprotective function as well. It's plastic, it can take a few bumps where filters will break.
    Read more about filters: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029
    Thanks for sharing. this is very comprehensive indeed, thanks. I guess I will buy the filter for 17-40mm since it is a more expensive lens so getting a filter would give me peace of mind. I suppose I should get the round screw-on filter...

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    No it will be minimal. Get Uv filter. Image quality will degrade slightly. If you get Hoya, Kenko or B+W this will not be visible.

You will get flaring and ghosting at night or when having conc light source ard, so remove filter on such occasions.

Some ppl like me don't see need for filter protection. There have been cases where you drop and filter shattered and the shards scratch lens. I guess filter might help when you knock something not drop.

Anyways to each his own. Personally I view filter protection as more psychological than anything.
    thanks for your advice

Welcome! Get good filters or no filters.

Welcome to CS No need to get a uv filter unless you are shooting film. Just get a good quality protection filter will do.

Quote Originally Posted by snowc
    Welcome to CS No need to get a uv filter unless you are shooting film. Just get a good quality protection filter will do.
    How to determine if it is a good quality filter? Based on its price? How much would a good quality filter cost roughly? Thanks

Welcome to CS & Im a newbie too
    My Boss is a Jewish carpenter

How to determine if it is a good quality filter? Based on its price? How much would a good quality filter cost roughly? Thanks
    Generally, I only used a few brands like B+W, Hoya and Kenko. Even within the same brand, there exist different grades for the same type of filter. For example, Hoya had the normal HMC to the high-end HD Series. A good protection filter should behave as if its not there at all. It should not produce unwanted effects like ghosting or give your images a color cast. Price of the filter depends on your lens filter thread. The larger the diameter, the higher the price.

Go for the better known brands.

B+W will cost a lot, it's good.
    Hoya and Kenko will cost quite a bit less than a lot, they are decent and will be what I go for.

Please avoid things like Vitacon, Steinzeiser, etc.... These are horrible. Just go for the above 3 brands and you will be fine.

Thanks for the advice on filters. I think I will get a B+W..
    I now struggle over which body and lens to get. Different people n friends have given different suggestions and i am very indecisive..I thought I already made up my mind but no, still thinking, reading and trying...I posted a new thread to seek suggestions ... It's really a tough decision...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841221

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast