Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: What ND filter to get?

  1. #1
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default What ND filter to get?

    I am interested in shooting human motion against buildings in bright daylight. Any suggestion on how high a ND filter (not the brand itself - though I am fine with that kind of suggestions too - but more like how many stops) I should get? (I guess about 1 sec shutter speed, general f5.6 or f8 - right?)

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: What ND filter to get?

    According to this table


    Brand is not important :") Hoever, i recommend Hoya

  3. #3
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: What ND filter to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmeeoo View Post
    According to this table


    Brand is not important :") Hoever, i recommend Hoya
    I guess my question is: how many stop reduction is "most useful" to get.

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: What ND filter to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I guess my question is: how many stop reduction is "most useful" to get.
    This table gives you the answer. What else is missing?
    Take a shot at your designated location with your target aperture and ISO 100, check shutter speed. Count the stops to get 1s (or whatever speed you wish to achieve). Check the table.
    EOS

  5. #5
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai
    I am interested in shooting human motion against buildings in bright daylight. Any suggestion on how high a ND filter (not the brand itself - though I am fine with that kind of suggestions too - but more like how many stops) I should get? (I guess about 1 sec shutter speed, general f5.6 or f8 - right?)

    Thanks.
    How much human motion? Also depends on ambient lighting. Bright sunny day and overcast day will have difference. Suspect 2-3 stops will do

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: What ND filter to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I am interested in shooting human motion against buildings in bright daylight. Any suggestion on how high a ND filter (not the brand itself - though I am fine with that kind of suggestions too - but more like how many stops) I should get? (I guess about 1 sec shutter speed, general f5.6 or f8 - right?)

    Thanks.
    bright sunlight, so Sunny f16 rule, exposure should be ISO 200 f11, 1/500, for motion blur effect of human traffic, you need 1/4 sec to 1 sec shutter speed depends on how close or how far of your subjects, now you can do your own math.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •