Thread: Shenton way IR

Blog Entries

Default Shenton way IR

just a shot that i wanted to get CNC, but kept forgetting to do so.

wanted to seek out opinions regarding this area. the challenge i face, is to make the buildings look coherent, without anyone sticking out like a sore thumb. shot in IR to tap on the depth it creates while making use of the sky to draw a nice contrast.

cnc pls

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shenton way IR

hmm.... the perspective is OK but a very popular one......nothing wrong with that

Using BW or IR has worked to keep the building coherent in at least its tones

its got a nice steely tone to it

images.... even landscapes.... need to engage the viewer ....just personal preference but I'd prefer a close up telephoto version of this so that I can examine each building more closely

post more la!
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Bit more sky (clouds are interesting), less water (it's boring) - will make for a better panorama. If you want to keep all the water, because you want to have a full reflection - still add more sky.

Also a slightly wider lens - giving you a bit more 'space' left and right of all the buildings; should improve the picture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by btrenkel View Post
    Bit more sky (clouds are interesting), less water (it's boring) - will make for a better panorama. If you want to keep all the water, because you want to have a full reflection - still add more sky.

Also a slightly wider lens - giving you a bit more 'space' left and right of all the buildings; should improve the picture
    well... the more sky, wider view not exactly possible i dun own anything more than a 17mm, which really gives a 24 on a 1.6 crop

i guess i might need a bit more elevation for a higher perspective. maybe can get more sky then hmm. i'll try scout for a better angle. thanks!
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 2nd February 2011 at 10:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    hmm.... the perspective is OK but a very popular one......nothing wrong with that

Using BW or IR has worked to keep the building coherent in at least its tones

its got a nice steely tone to it

images.... even landscapes.... need to engage the viewer ....just personal preference but I'd prefer a close up telephoto version of this so that I can examine each building more closely

post more la!
    close up tele version as in? individual buildings each one one shot ar...

this composition is pretty much the best i can get (after scouting around) cause it seems to be the cleanest i guess, maybe thats why its so popular. i was hoping the IR would draw out the steely cut out from the back ground feel of the overall image. thanks for all the comments!

*edit: just to clarify, what u do u mean by engage the viewers? thanks
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 2nd February 2011 at 10:19 PM.

Blog Entries

engaging the viewer means essentially keeping one's attention on the image, provoking thoughts, comparisons, ideas or even a simple 'hmmm... thats interesting....' ..... i dont mean shooting the buildings one by one but rather using a tele to draw the entire scene closer so that each building's structure, texture and details can be examined more closely
    Last edited by ed9119; 4th February 2011 at 02:51 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    engaging the viewer means essentially keeping one's attention on the image provoking thoughts, comparisons, ideas or even a simple 'hmmm... thats interesting....' ..... i dont mean shooting the buildings one by one but rather using a tele to draw the entire scene closer so that each building's structure, texture and details can be examined more closely
    ooo okkies thats challenging. i'll try on my next attempt thanks! and happy lunar new year!

love the tone.

Just personal preference that I would love to see more clouds on top right as it seems to be rather interesting and as such, left would need a little more space to balance up the tightness.

Anyway, this is quite nice. Perspective wise taken care of...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

wanted to seek out opinions regarding this area. the challenge i face, is to make the buildings look coherent, without anyone sticking out like a sore thumb. shot in IR to tap on the depth it creates while making use of the sky to draw a nice contrast.

cnc pls
    Overall, I like it, but I feel that the crop at the left is a little too tight...
    Furthermore, I couldn't really tell that it was an IR photo, except from the itsy bitsy trees in the middle~
    Looked more like BW o.O
    EOS 60D|55-250 IS|70-200 F2.8 OS EX|17-50 F2.8 VC|Di866 Pro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gkw12345 View Post
    Overall, I like it, but I feel that the crop at the left is a little too tight...
    Furthermore, I couldn't really tell that it was an IR photo, except from the itsy bitsy trees in the middle~
    Looked more like BW o.O
    thats good thats good

my feel of IR is to make it more acceptable, and less conspicuous. some ppl cannot take IR as it is, so this is kinda for the moderate cases. the cut off was 720. coupled with in built blocking, the effect is nice for the tones

i thought the crop was too tight too... but then again, 17mm (24 on crop) means i have to selectively choose i'll see if i can take a step back or something again when i go back

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

cnc pls
    Hmm... I can't see any pic. Maybe need IR glasses