Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Shenton way IR

  1. #1
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Shenton way IR


    just a shot that i wanted to get CNC, but kept forgetting to do so.

    wanted to seek out opinions regarding this area. the challenge i face, is to make the buildings look coherent, without anyone sticking out like a sore thumb. shot in IR to tap on the depth it creates while making use of the sky to draw a nice contrast.

    cnc pls

  2. #2
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    hmm.... the perspective is OK but a very popular one......nothing wrong with that

    Using BW or IR has worked to keep the building coherent in at least its tones

    its got a nice steely tone to it

    images.... even landscapes.... need to engage the viewer ....just personal preference but I'd prefer a close up telephoto version of this so that I can examine each building more closely

    post more la!
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    Bit more sky (clouds are interesting), less water (it's boring) - will make for a better panorama. If you want to keep all the water, because you want to have a full reflection - still add more sky.

    Also a slightly wider lens - giving you a bit more 'space' left and right of all the buildings; should improve the picture

  4. #4
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    Quote Originally Posted by btrenkel View Post
    Bit more sky (clouds are interesting), less water (it's boring) - will make for a better panorama. If you want to keep all the water, because you want to have a full reflection - still add more sky.

    Also a slightly wider lens - giving you a bit more 'space' left and right of all the buildings; should improve the picture
    well... the more sky, wider view not exactly possible i dun own anything more than a 17mm, which really gives a 24 on a 1.6 crop

    i guess i might need a bit more elevation for a higher perspective. maybe can get more sky then hmm. i'll try scout for a better angle. thanks!
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 2nd February 2011 at 10:19 PM.

  5. #5
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    hmm.... the perspective is OK but a very popular one......nothing wrong with that

    Using BW or IR has worked to keep the building coherent in at least its tones

    its got a nice steely tone to it

    images.... even landscapes.... need to engage the viewer ....just personal preference but I'd prefer a close up telephoto version of this so that I can examine each building more closely

    post more la!
    close up tele version as in? individual buildings each one one shot ar...

    this composition is pretty much the best i can get (after scouting around) cause it seems to be the cleanest i guess, maybe thats why its so popular. i was hoping the IR would draw out the steely cut out from the back ground feel of the overall image. thanks for all the comments!

    *edit: just to clarify, what u do u mean by engage the viewers? thanks
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 2nd February 2011 at 10:19 PM.

  6. #6
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    engaging the viewer means essentially keeping one's attention on the image, provoking thoughts, comparisons, ideas or even a simple 'hmmm... thats interesting....' ..... i dont mean shooting the buildings one by one but rather using a tele to draw the entire scene closer so that each building's structure, texture and details can be examined more closely
    Last edited by ed9119; 4th February 2011 at 02:51 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  7. #7
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    engaging the viewer means essentially keeping one's attention on the image provoking thoughts, comparisons, ideas or even a simple 'hmmm... thats interesting....' ..... i dont mean shooting the buildings one by one but rather using a tele to draw the entire scene closer so that each building's structure, texture and details can be examined more closely
    ooo okkies thats challenging. i'll try on my next attempt thanks! and happy lunar new year!

  8. #8
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    love the tone.

    Just personal preference that I would love to see more clouds on top right as it seems to be rather interesting and as such, left would need a little more space to balance up the tightness.

    Anyway, this is quite nice. Perspective wise taken care of...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

    just a shot that i wanted to get CNC, but kept forgetting to do so.

    wanted to seek out opinions regarding this area. the challenge i face, is to make the buildings look coherent, without anyone sticking out like a sore thumb. shot in IR to tap on the depth it creates while making use of the sky to draw a nice contrast.

    cnc pls
    Overall, I like it, but I feel that the crop at the left is a little too tight...
    Furthermore, I couldn't really tell that it was an IR photo, except from the itsy bitsy trees in the middle~
    Looked more like BW o.O
    EOS 60D|55-250 IS|70-200 F2.8 OS EX|17-50 F2.8 VC|Di866 Pro

  10. #10
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    Quote Originally Posted by gkw12345 View Post
    Overall, I like it, but I feel that the crop at the left is a little too tight...
    Furthermore, I couldn't really tell that it was an IR photo, except from the itsy bitsy trees in the middle~
    Looked more like BW o.O
    thats good thats good

    my feel of IR is to make it more acceptable, and less conspicuous. some ppl cannot take IR as it is, so this is kinda for the moderate cases. the cut off was 720. coupled with in built blocking, the effect is nice for the tones

    i thought the crop was too tight too... but then again, 17mm (24 on crop) means i have to selectively choose i'll see if i can take a step back or something again when i go back

  11. #11
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Shenton way IR

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

    just a shot that i wanted to get CNC, but kept forgetting to do so.

    wanted to seek out opinions regarding this area. the challenge i face, is to make the buildings look coherent, without anyone sticking out like a sore thumb. shot in IR to tap on the depth it creates while making use of the sky to draw a nice contrast.

    cnc pls
    Hmm... I can't see any pic. Maybe need IR glasses

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •