Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your technique if your lens has no VR or VC, how do make your shots sharp (not

Default Re: What's your technique if your lens has no VR or VC, how do make your shots sharp

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Not talking about tripods here cos VR is used to help with handheld shot.
    Furthermore, why rule out tripods?

TS only mentioned the situation where the lens has no VR, and did not mention the type of shooting he is doing.

Landscape? Product shoot?

Don't you think tripods and monopods are also a solution to stabilising your camera, especially when the lens has no VR? So it is quite premature for you to rule this out.
    Olympian

Default Re: What's your technique if your lens has no VR or VC, how do make your shots sharp

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    My point being VR helps. Yes.

But if you refer to TS initial statement: "Please share your techniques how do you make your shot sharp if your lens no VR or VC."

Would you not agree with me that TS has the perception that without VR or VC or IS (depending on which brand of camera you use), your shot will definitely not be sharp?

Even when shooting handheld, you do not need VR for a sharp shot. I shot a number of events using a VR-less lens and body and the shots are still sharp. That is my point. Sure VR helps. But do you need it? No.
    Yes I agree with you on this. Maybe TS has this misconception or maybe the TS really cannot get decent shots without the VR. Either way, the advices here will help him with that.

my technique is. point and shoot.

none of my lenses have IS.

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Furthermore, why rule out tripods?

TS only mentioned the situation where the lens has no VR, and did not mention the type of shooting he is doing.

Landscape? Product shoot?

Don't you think tripods and monopods are also a solution to stabilising your camera, especially when the lens has no VR? So it is quite premature for you to rule this out.
    This is about the interpretation of the question. I'm not ruling it out, just assumed that TS is asking about handheld shots, might have made that assumption too quickly.

Yes I agree with you on this. Maybe TS has this misconception or maybe the TS really cannot get decent shots without the VR. Either way, the advices here will help him with that.
    Hopefully TS will actually learn from some of the advice here. Otherwise you will see him posting up his camera for sale in the B&S sometime soon...

This is about the interpretation of the question. I'm not ruling it out, just assumed that TS is asking about handheld shots, might have made that assumption too quickly.
    I guess so.

But still, think of it the same way here: since you say that "VR is useful, so why do camera manufacturers include it"- then I would tell you that tripods are useful, why do tripod-makers produce it?

There's no such thing as tripod photography, handheld photography or VR photography. Both tri/monopods and VR are tools to "stabilise" your camera so that you have a greater chance of attaining a sharp photo.

Even if TS is asking for say, street photography- a field of photography that is usually shot handheld- does that mean finding support for the camera in the form of a tripod, monopod or even a road-side railing will make the photo any less of a street photograph?

Underlying message behind all this is that VR is just a possibly way of solving the problem that is camera-shake. No VR? There are other solutions. Fullstop.
    Last edited by candycaine; 21st January 2011 at 11:37 PM.
    Olympian

Learn how to get sharp shots without VR. Then, once you can do that, you can really go nuts when you turn VR on again.
    Alpha

Hmm, steady hand should do the trick. A lot of people shooting with 24-70mm lens which doesn't have VR and the images come out good. I often see people get blur images due to misfocus rather than handshake. However, I can't deny it's difficult to hold steadily heavy lens like 24-70mm or 70-200mm. Try your best not to shoot below 1/30s or 1/50s.

Btw candycaine and candyyam sounds alike, are you a couple? (pardon my curiousity )

Quote Originally Posted by SnagIt View Post
    Btw candycaine and candyyam sounds alike, are you a couple? (pardon my curiousity )
    Nowhere close.
    Olympian

I think the VR is another camera support function for the photographer convenient ,most important is how to hold the camera and more practice.
    Uncle Michael

Blog Entries

the only way is BRACE YOURSELF. Techniques like elbow tuck in against your sides, standing pivot against a pillar/wall. try to get the minimum shutter speed in correspondence to your focal length, e.g. 1/100 for 100mm. These are all general rules of thumb. Key is to ensure you have a decent shutter rate, as different people have different level of "hand steadiness".

Infact heavier set people like me with lower centre of gravity perhaps has an added advantage?
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by Urfantasyguy View Post
    Please share your techniques how do you make your shot sharp if your lens no VR or VC.

Any recommended position of the body, settings,...etc

thanks.
    The shutter speed has to be at least the value of your focal length. I.e. 1/60 for a 60mm length...

And hand-holding properly, close to your body and with proper breathing technique.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

monopod/tripod?? fix ur holding and breathing technique when shooting??, jack ur shutter speed?? have u tried all of that??
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

dunno if TS has been in the army, but if u do, the breathing technique that applies for shooting applies for photography as well, especially when you are dealing with lens in excess of 200mm.
    Playing with M43.

I had no VC, IS or tripod during my first 3 years with my DSLR, so here was what I did (and still do):

- Relax and use a higher shutter speed if possible
    - Don't wait for anything, just take the shot
    - Hold the camera in a compact position, not too tight
    - Use a stationery object to help like a pole, wall, fence or stone
    - When you press the shutter hold that down to prevent further movement until it releases by itself

At the end of the day, nothing beats a tripod.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by Urfantasyguy View Post
    Please share your techniques how do you make your shot sharp if your lens no VR or VC.

Any recommended position of the body, settings,...etc

thanks.
    It's all taught during NS..

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    It's all taught during NS..
    Precisely:

holding of breadth
    bracing (tuck your arms in)
    stand with your legs shoulder width apart
    leaning
    try to avoid coffee just before shoot

I feel we shouldnt be overly reliant on VR/IS/VC what nots, the key here is to get your basics right. Those technology will further enhance your ability to capture in difficult lighting conditions. Besides there are so many ways to get the shots sharp, make sure your shutter speed is not leser than the focal length of your lens. And to a certain extend, your camera body may play a part, If your using a heavy glass with a smaller body

e.g. D90 + AFS 14-24 to me is less stable compared to using it with the grip, with the grip I feel weight distribution is more balanced and hence easier to get sharper pics overall.

And also the nature of your camera. For e.g. SLR/DSLR will face mirror slaps, compare this to their mirrorless cousins, M4/3, APS-C like NEX/X1 or even the good old school rangefinders. You will find that shooting at 1/8th, 1/2 or even 1" handheld is possible
    Last edited by theRenaissance; 23rd January 2011 at 01:29 PM.
    ( Documenting the Human Condition | Flickr )

I ve never used IS or VR lenses and can shoot 135mm at 1/30 with more than 1/2 keeper rate. have done 12mm at 1/4sec too. my 'safe shuttter speed' is 1/fl, or 1/(half fl) if i use mirror up. if im shooting digital, i can go lower, just take quite afew shots.

if standing up, keep yr elbows tucked close to yr body (no chicken wing) breathe in, exhale halfway and take the shot. if your close to the ground, squat or sit with your elbows propped on your knees. or if its a big lens, bend your knee and rest the tripod foot on yr knee. if all else fails, prone on the ground. DON'T use liveview! you need the camera pressed to your face for extra stabilization.

if you have mirror lock up on yr cam, activate it. that should give you an extra stop or 2. unsling/take off any bags that you re carrying. do weights! and keep fit. this really helps. but instead of heavy weights, do lighter ones with more repetitions to train endurance. push ups work as well.

lastly, get enough sleep and don't drink coffee/tea. dunno about you, but those make me shake ALOT...
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Whag is VC, VR?

I personally elbow myself when shooting.aka left elbow on my ribcage. Find that this helps me better than just elbow tucked in. Able to shoot at 200mm at slower speed as well. But with SSS turned on to aid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast