Thread: Cold Countries

Default Cold Countries

Hi All,

will be going japan next mth and the weather will be pretty cold - 14

and i am using D90, was wondering do i need to get anything or will it affect the camera if i were to use it as it is...?

your advise is appreciated...

Default Re: Cold Countries

Advice No1: Read what is already there. Sticky thread right on top of the list here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615253
    Advice No 2: Common sense. How many cameras would Canon, Nikon and Sony be able to sell in their own country / home market if they broke down in Winter?
    Advice No 3: Take care about yourself first. Temperature of -14 will give you more trouble than your camera.
    Last edited by Octarine; 21st January 2011 at 01:49 PM.
    EOS

battery grip with dual batteries and 6 AA backup, longer lasting life, cold temperature eats battery
    facebook | Kiwira

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Advice No1: Read what is already there. Sticky thread right on top of the list here:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615253
    Advice No 2: Common sense. How many cameras would Canon, Nikon and Sony be able to sell in their own country / home market if they broke down in Winter?
    Advice No 3: Take care about yourself first. Temperature of -14 will give you more trouble than your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Summer pl come soon..
    Then the sweaty palms will pop up again .. and which lens to use for xmm at the beach
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Then the sweaty palms will pop up again .. and which lens to use for xmm at the beach
    lately a lot of such questions...

all camera makers should review this and market this lens according to such demands.

XXX lens for xmm
    XXX lens for wedding
    XXX lens for landscape
    etc...

sure make a boom!

Hi Cool! enjoy cold country travel. as you may have read other threads...keep your battery warm . i usually keep a pouch where i store my AA batts and other gadgets with batts... keep it in your jacket inner pocket. and change the batt when your D90 screaming "low batt" (due to cold) and keep it in your pocket and recycle the proccess when needed...when the battery gets warm up it be as ready when you last use.

keep some zip lock bags...when you enter from a cold to a warm tent /house/room etc brush away any snow on cam and lens. dry it well. when you leave from a warm room to cold place...store in a ziplock bag to prevent condensation....otherwise any moisture will freeze up any mechanics of at lens or moving parts...electronics too...take it out from the bag when the cam acclimatise with the cold.

bring a soft paint brush for brushing the snow....

keep your batts warm

bring a manual SLR film or compact as back up is any...no batts require except for metering - i would use a lighter EM or rangefinder...

careful of static discharge...especially in dry cold climate....contacting on metal even contact with your friend! :P

have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kodkod32 View Post
    keep some zip lock bags...when you enter from a cold to a warm tent /house/room etc brush away any snow on cam and lens. dry it well. when you leave from a warm room to cold place...store in a ziplock bag to prevent condensation....otherwise any moisture will freeze up any mechanics of at lens or moving parts...electronics too...take it out from the bag when the cam acclimatise with the cold.
    Condensation occurs when a cold surface gets in touch with a warmer air with higher humidity. So condensation will only occur once you bring a cold camera from cold outside into a warmer area (room) - as you pointed out.
    But: bringing a warm camera to the cold will not cause condensation. No ziploc or anything else needed. Just go out and shoot.
    EOS