Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally bought the 35mm f1.8

Default Re: Finally bought the 35mm f1.8

Hi, comparing 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.8, whats the recommendations? which is better to get?

Quote Originally Posted by kirkteo View Post
    Hi, comparing 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.8, whats the recommendations? which is better to get?
    The 2 focal lengths are different.. if using for portrait then the 50mm is better else the 35mm is wider and much more useful.. Then if u compare AFD to AFS 50mm F1.4 the AFD version auto focus speed is much faster but noisier + u need a body with inbuilt motor..

50 f/1.4G is better and more expensive (2x more than 35 f/1.8's price). rather than asking bout which is a better buy, it's impt to u know ur own preferences first. 50mm on DX is pretty tight especially for indoor shoots.

50 f/1.8D and 50 f/1.4D r pretty gd choices also and cheaper compared to 50 f/1.4G
    Last edited by Irvine; 24th January 2011 at 02:35 PM.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkteo View Post
    Get the 35.
    http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm

Thanks everyone. Its a hard decision to take this or that. I think I will get the 50mm 1st as I like portrait, then next in line will be 35mm later, think both are a gem, thus will get both rather...

Yes. The more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkteo
    Thanks everyone. Its a hard decision to take this or that. I think I will get the 50mm 1st as I like portrait, then next in line will be 35mm later, think both are a gem, thus will get both rather...
    Yes 50mm if u go portraits, cheaper by half too.
    Try using 35mm & 50mm for full face frame coverage comparison and u will notice 35mm blows up the nose! Ha!

try posting some images taken with this lens? am pretty interested in getting a copy. But I had previous problems when trying it on my D300. It hunts a lot more then the 50mm f1.8d.....want to see what kind of "bad" bokeh it gives. seen some pictures it produces and it aint too bad at all. also, the sharpness when it locked on (for my case) is really sharp...as sharp as the 50mm.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEelbiDTztY
    lol. different.

Wondering if it's worth saving up n getting the 35 1.4 instead of the 35 1.8..

Price jump is too huge for 1.8 > 1.4.
    Unless u are super bokeh lover and it justifies the extra spent imho.

Quote Originally Posted by slipdisq
    For myself, I rather get 35mm 1.8. I think it's sufficient.

It's not just as simple as 1.4 vs 1.8 only. Apart from the fast aperture(it could be very critical in very low light situation), the 1.4 excels in the image contrasty level, better body built, well-balanced with a full frame camera, nano coating, 9 diaphragm blades(better bokeh) and 3D cinematic feel due to better subject isolation.
    Try the 1.4 on a full frame camera then you'll see the difference.
    Yeah the price difference is huge. The difference is then evaluated based on personal needs, expectation level, priorities in life and budget. Some feel not worth it, some are deeply poisoned by its wonder like myself
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

That's what i thought too.. Googled but can't find that much advantage to justify the huge price difference. "magical" nano coating n a distance scale. N maybe better bokeh. But it suffers from CA.

did I miss out any difference that might justify the price difference?

Quote Originally Posted by slipdisq
    That's what i thought too.. Googled but can't find that much advantage to justify the huge price difference. "magical" nano coating n a distance scale. N maybe better bokeh. But it suffers from CA.

did I miss out any difference that might justify the price difference?
    Oops somebody already answered my questions before I posted this.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81
    It's not just as simple as 1.4 vs 1.8 only. Apart from the fast aperture(it could be very critical in very low light situation), the 1.4 excels in the image contrasty level, better body built, well-balanced with a full frame camera, nano coating, 9 diaphragm blades(better bokeh) and 3D cinematic feel due to better subject isolation.
    Try the 1.4 on a full frame camera then you'll see the difference.
    Yeah the price difference is huge. The difference is then evaluated based on personal needs, expectation level, priorities in life and budget. Some feel not worth it, some are deeply poisoned by its wonder like myself
    Ahh i understand.. But would there be as much difference on a DX I wonder?

Personally I don't prefer to use a FX lens on DX camera body(can't fully utilize the potential of the expensive FX lens - waste money) or a DX lens on FX camera body(heavy vignetting issue and can't fully utilize the expensive FX camera body - waste money as well).

Quote Originally Posted by slipdisq View Post
    Ahh i understand.. But would there be as much difference on a DX I wonder?

Actually this remind me of another comparison between a $500 small point and shoot Pana LX3 against a $2000 bulky DSLR setup like D7000 + 35mm f1.8 DX. If you don't shoot frequently, only shoot in bright light situation and not much interest to develop further into photography, a LX3 is already sufficient.
    Photography is a very funny hobby. The price differences can't be measured on paper and may sound ridiculous to some people but there are another group of people who appreciate the extra bits offered by the expensive lenses.

I got a 50mm f1.4 manual. I'm happy with it.. but next is a 35mm f1.4... that is a challenge to get..hahaha but given a choice, I would love to get a 1.4 rather than 1.8. but if budget constraint..... think 1.8 will be the goal?

Quote Originally Posted by slipdisq View Post
    1.8 is enough

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast