Thread: Pinnacle @ Duxton

Default Pinnacle @ Duxton

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, black and white processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    hopefully to capture a unique angle of the pinnacle, I haven't seen a similar shot yet

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Was out with a friend at Chinatown to shoot and we decided to explore the Pinnacle and see what we could get out of there

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the sunstar at the edge of the image, and also the effect of the PP-ed graduated filter.

Default Re: Pinnacle @ Duxton

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, black and white processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    hopefully to capture a unique angle of the pinnacle, I haven't seen a similar shot yet

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Was out with a friend at Chinatown to shoot and we decided to explore the Pinnacle and see what we could get out of there

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the sunstar at the edge of the image, and also the effect of the PP-ed graduated filter.
    I like your composition
    The buildings frame the sky nicely.
    My main critique is that the B&W conversion lacks the range of tones from the blacks to the highlights, and somehow doesn't feel contrasty enough. It's still a bit 'flat' somehow. I think it's the sky. Probably have to wait till the sky has more contrast.

I do like the inclusion of the flare at the bottom-right.

Anyway, I'm sure there are many other photos with similar composition, but this is the only one I can remember off-hand.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...33&postcount=7

Default Re: Pinnacle @ Duxton

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I like your composition
    The buildings frame the sky nicely.
    My main critique is that the B&W conversion lacks the range of tones from the blacks to the highlights, and somehow doesn't feel contrasty enough. It's still a bit 'flat' somehow. I think it's the sky. Probably have to wait till the sky has more contrast.

I do like the inclusion of the flare at the bottom-right.

Anyway, I'm sure there are many other photos with similar composition, but this is the only one I can remember off-hand.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...33&postcount=7
    Yup I think it's the sky. It's the main reason why I converted it into B&W, since there were not much colour and detail in it. As for contrast, there is already quite some black clipping going on, but I will try to up it to see how it looks