Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Equipment and tools

  1. #1

    Default Equipment and tools

    Wanna ask what are the extra equipment and tools used, other than the digital camera?
    ie. Adobe Photoshop, Spyder Pro, flash, tripod.......

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    yea u got the list right... just keep going... the list never ends... hehe..
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  3. #3

    Default

    Nick,
    Surely, you can add in a bit?
    Like, does anyone buy a dimmer...something to control the light intensity? or lux meter, etc....

  4. #4

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by agnesmullen
    Nick,
    Surely, you can add in a bit?
    Like, does anyone buy a dimmer...something to control the light intensity? or lux meter, etc....
    Are u setting up a studio as well? That would mean a real long list... else you might wanna consider lotsa filters - polarizer, NDs, etc. a good spot meter would come in handy when u move beyond the 'not-too-perfect' in-built metering... a good tripod that's light, stable and with a quick release feature... I am not too much of a pro-flash person, unless its a studio setup (a ring flash would seemed like an interesting item to get )... the Spyder Pro would make a good investment...

    Brain block... any help?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    i think the camera, lens, flash, tripod bunch would do fine for a start.. to further refine, get a light meter and other stuff like that, other than that the basic equipment should do fine right now, if u are learning photography...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  6. #6

    Default

    good eyes and good heart are the two most important tools

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabbatical
    Are u setting up a studio as well? That would mean a real long list... else you might wanna consider lotsa filters - polarizer, NDs, etc. a good spot meter would come in handy when u move beyond the 'not-too-perfect' in-built metering... a good tripod that's light, stable and with a quick release feature... I am not too much of a pro-flash person, unless its a studio setup (a ring flash would seemed like an interesting item to get )... the Spyder Pro would make a good investment...

    Brain block... any help?
    Thank you so much.
    I'm pretty new to photography, trying to get as much info as I could from you guys....
    Studio...hmm... if I could get some space.....
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is ND?
    I got the Spyder Pro.....

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    i think the camera, lens, flash, tripod bunch would do fine for a start.. to further refine, get a light meter and other stuff like that, other than that the basic equipment should do fine right now, if u are learning photography...
    Thanks Nick.....
    I got a lux meter but I reckon it wasn't good enough...coz sometimes, it doesn't seem to work well....hehe.....
    anyway, what have you got on your side?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    ND = Neutral Density... I've seen it, used it... reminds me of Cir-Polarizer..
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  10. #10

    Cool

    Yup - ND is a Neutral Density filter, it comes in a few diff. density range.
    It is used mainly when the natural light source is too intense and would tend to overexpose all your mid-range tones.

    But if you're shooting in B&W, use a red filter - gives great mid-range tones.

    A circular polariser would be good when you want your colours a litte more intense, because it helps to cut off most of the flares and stray ambient light source (kinda like the effect you get when you wear a good pair of sunglasses ) a great filter to have - must have esp. if you want to shoot thru glass panels - it's amazing (do not use with flash though)

  11. #11

    Default

    For a dark room, what kind of stuff do you have in them?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •