Thread: sd cards write speed

Default sd cards write speed

I used to have an 8gb Class 4 SDHC Kingston card. And I was able to record videos up to 10 mins on my 550D. Recently I got another 32gb SDHC Kingston Class 4 from a fellow forumer but it seems that with the higher capacity, the write speed seems to be a lot slower.
    I can only record videos only for a few seconds. And on continuous burst mode, sometimes the camera will take some time to write the photos onto the sdhc card.
    Wonder why is this so. Is it because of the high capacity or something is wrong with my card?

Default Re: sd cards write speed

Could you take a picture of the front and back of the card side by side?
    Canon 40D: EF 24-105 L f/4 IS: Speedlite 580 EX II

Quote Originally Posted by zamsar
    I used to have an 8gb Class 4 SDHC Kingston card. And I was able to record videos up to 10 mins on my 550D. Recently I got another 32gb SDHC Kingston Class 4 from a fellow forumer but it seems that with the higher capacity, the write speed seems to be a lot slower.
    I can only record videos only for a few seconds. And on continuous burst mode, sometimes the camera will take some time to write the photos onto the sdhc card.
    Wonder why is this so. Is it because of the high capacity or something is wrong with my card?
    Sounds weird... Both were class 4.. Should n't have such significant differences.

Quote Originally Posted by zamsar View Post
    Are they from the same line?

Just run a speed test on the cards. Google should be able to get you what you need. Class 4 cards have a minimum write speed of 4MB/s subject to some variance of course.

Also, does the manual suggest a praticular class of cards?