Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

    Beware this is probably a new scam ... a variation to the SMS.

    I received a call yesterday from unlisted number.

    I picked up and said Hello only to be answered by what seems like a machine, claiming to be from OCBC. It may be a machine - like a record playback, or it may be someone pretending to be a machine by reading script. The voice is a very sweet girl voice.

    The message is for me to call back to "OCBC" at some number. I did not quite catch the number (not sure if I get the correct number: 63199713) and I just hang up cos it wake me up from my slumber with cold medicine which is make me very drowsy.

    I do have a number of accounts with OCBC and if OCBC really would like to speak to me they wont ask me to call back right? They will speak immediately and have a convesation with me.

    Does anybody can help me check (reverse directory etc) if that number really belongs to OCBC? I checked whocallsme.com but that number is not found.

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Beware this is probably a new scam ... a variation to the SMS.

    I received a call yesterday from unlisted number.

    I picked up and said Hello only to be answered by what seems like a machine, claiming to be from OCBC. It may be a machine - like a record playback, or it may be someone pretending to be a machine by reading script. The voice is a very sweet girl voice.

    The message is for me to call back to "OCBC" at some number. I did not quite catch the number (not sure if I get the correct number: 63199713) and I just hang up cos it wake me up from my slumber with cold medicine which is make me very drowsy.

    I do have a number of accounts with OCBC and if OCBC really would like to speak to me they wont ask me to call back right? They will speak immediately and have a convesation with me.

    Does anybody can help me check (reverse directory etc) if that number really belongs to OCBC? I checked whocallsme.com but that number is not found.
    why don't just report this thing to OCBC, let them investigate this matter.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    why don't just report this thing to OCBC, let them investigate this matter.
    Already send email to them, no reply yet

  4. #4
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Already send email to them, no reply yet
    Tell them you have 1mil to invest, they will call you for sure.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  5. #5
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    When I was in Europe they had a system asking you to call them because of suspected fraud. This happens when huge transactions out of the normal use are made. I sweated about it, went to the bank and asked them and they confirmed this. Machine voice also.

    Maybe this is something like that. Anyways you can't go wrong trying to call up the bank urgently.

    And even if you call I don't see any harm if you are careful.

  6. #6
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    And even if you call I don't see any harm if you are careful.
    just dun reveal your card no + CVC over the phone.

    since they are from OCBC... they will have your card no, for verification check, they wun ask you again for it. Most probably personal details.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    When I was in Europe they had a system asking you to call them because of suspected fraud. This happens when huge transactions out of the normal use are made. I sweated about it, went to the bank and asked them and they confirmed this. Machine voice also.

    Maybe this is something like that. Anyways you can't go wrong trying to call up the bank urgently.

    And even if you call I don't see any harm if you are careful.
    Thanks.
    Does the call give you reason? This one does not - or prob I hang up before it gave me. OK I will call the main number. Dun wana call some number I dont know.

    Ok manage to get thru the call center - no record from them tying to call me yesterday so yeah confirm this is a scam. Beware of this new method.
    Last edited by aryanto; 20th January 2011 at 02:13 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

    Did you ask about the number listed, if it is related to OCBC?

    Yes, the call did give a reason. It said that it was an automated message from the Fraud Department (or something) and asked for me to call them back at XXXXXX.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: New scammer pretending to be OCBC?

    cookie cutter reply arrived from OCBC ... I wonder if they are really reading my email
    --------------------------------------------

    Dear Aryanto

    Thank you for your email of 20 January 2011.

    We seek your kind understanding that we are only able to render limited general assistance via this Unsecured Email channel.

    Nevertheless, we would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the message content of the aforementioned inbound call in order for us to better assess your enquiry and dispense the corresponding advise.

    We trust that the information above suffices and are glad to be of service to you.

    Please feel free to email us if you have further enquiries. Alternatively, you may contact our Customer Service Executives at 1800 363 3333 or call +65 6363 3333 via your local operator if you are calling from overseas.

    Thank you for banking with us. We look forward to serving you again.


    Yours sincerely

    Andrew Tee
    Customer Service Executive
    Contact Centre
    OCBC Bank




    -----Original Message-----
    From: Aryanto
    Sent: 20 January 2011 12:26
    To: CIC - ContactUs
    Subject: Call back number 63199713? New phising scam method?

    Hi

    I am an OCBC consumer banking customer.

    Yesterday I received a phonecall to my mobile number 9xxxxxxx from unlisted number claiming to be OCBC.
    It was a voice recording and asking me to call back to a land line 63199713. I am not so sure if I get that number correctly because I hang up almost immediately.

    Is this a new scam or is anybody from OCBC really want to contact me?

    Cheers,

    Aryanto

    [signature and blurb of disclaimer cos I sent from office]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •