Thread: MBS skypark

Default MBS skypark

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    composition, colours, exposure, mood and PP. any comments would be most welcomed.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    to see the lion city from a top view to give a different perspective

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    taken w/o tripod, iso at 3200 iirc. windy, first time at the skypark so felt the need to document.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    personally i think the lights are nice and could have taken nicer photos because i took this in a rush as i was in a restricted area and the guards were looking at me prompting me to get out D:

Please like http://apps.facebook.com/livingcities/?c=mosaic&id=696 if it's nice thanks guys.

Default Re: MBS skypark

Composition wise, you should've excluded the rails on the lower right corner. Colors are quite ok. Exposure wise, I think the photo is dominantly black. Sky is too dark, the horizon can't be seen anymore. But under the circumstances that you were in, it's probably difficult to have done it better. I haven't been there so I really can't suggest what you could've done. I've seen other forumers take on this, maybe someone here can give us a few pointers, shooting from the skypark is also on my list so it would be great if anyone here could point us to the right setup up there.
    M240 : SG552 : M82A1 : B92FS : M26

Quote Originally Posted by chingsiang View Post

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    composition, colours, exposure, mood and PP. any comments would be most welcomed.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    to see the lion city from a top view to give a different perspective

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    taken w/o tripod, iso at 3200 iirc. windy, first time at the skypark so felt the need to document.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    personally i think the lights are nice and could have taken nicer photos because i took this in a rush as i was in a restricted area and the guards were looking at me prompting me to get out D:

Please like http://apps.facebook.com/livingcities/?c=mosaic&id=696 if it's nice thanks guys.
    Overall I would say 'not bad'... do keep it up and try again

1) With the sky so dark, and the museum section (that 'Lotus' building) of MBS so brightly lit, there is a problem of trying to balance the exposure. It looks like you tried to expose the museum correctly, and as a result the rest of the photo is so so dark. Perhaps you can consider going there around sunset, when there is still light in the sky.

2) Tripod is still your best bet, instead of pumping up the ISO to such levels (3200).

3) Including the bit of the MBS like that is a bit distracting. I would prefer either to see more of the building (thus making it clear this is MBS) or exclude it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

2) Tripod is still your best bet, instead of pumping up the ISO to such levels (3200).
    i've heard that tripods aren't allowed at the sky park.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

The rules are a bit vague on that. On some days I've heard of ppl being able to bring their tripods w/o issue. On some days it's quite strictly no 'professional' photography equipment allowed.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by nabelrock View Post
    Composition wise, you should've excluded the rails on the lower right corner. Colors are quite ok. Exposure wise, I think the photo is dominantly black. Sky is too dark, the horizon can't be seen anymore. But under the circumstances that you were in, it's probably difficult to have done it better. I haven't been there so I really can't suggest what you could've done. I've seen other forumers take on this, maybe someone here can give us a few pointers, shooting from the skypark is also on my list so it would be great if anyone here could point us to the right setup up there.
    Hey thanks for commenting appreciate it very much! the rails could not be excluded lol from where i was shooting :/ I tried to minimized it already D: I made the photo darker in pp so the lights would seem brighter and more appealing but i guess yeah, i should show some sky there :>

1) With the sky so dark, and the museum section (that 'Lotus' building) of MBS so brightly lit, there is a problem of trying to balance the exposure. It looks like you tried to expose the museum correctly, and as a result the rest of the photo is so so dark. Perhaps you can consider going there around sunset, when there is still light in the sky.

3) Including the bit of the MBS like that is a bit distracting. I would prefer either to see more of the building (thus making it clear this is MBS) or exclude it.
    1) I heard we have to pay or have the room key to get up there? I somehow sneaked inside there during the countdown 2011 so it was alr quite late D:

2) yes I know but the spot where I was taking photo was restricted and I had to stretch my arm out of the glass railing to take that shot so I could not have done it with a tripod and there are guards patrolling! :<

3) Hmm..sorry for being misleading xD Shall try better next time!

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    The rules are a bit vague on that. On some days I've heard of ppl being able to bring their tripods w/o issue. On some days it's quite strictly no 'professional' photography equipment allowed.
    Me and my friend brought tripods up but didn't take much shots with it because the edges of the skypark are like swimming pools and we cant set up tripod there so...yea..

Overall, thank you people for commenting and giving constructive feedbacks Reallyyyy appreciated them
    Last edited by chingsiang; 22nd January 2011 at 07:19 AM.