Thread: ATM PIN in France & Italy

Question ATM PIN in France & Italy

Hi all,

In many guidebooks that I read, they always say that Europe ATM machines only accept 4 digits PIN number.

Is that still the current case? Or can the ATM machine accept cards with longer digits now?

The thing is that my ATM cards (as all ATM cards in Singapore) has 5 digits PIN number. And as it is required by Singapore law, the banks can't change it to 4 digits.

So, my concern is, will I encounter any problem drawing money from ATM machines in France (Paris, Nice) and Italy (Rome)?

Thanks!

Default Re: ATM PIN in France & Italy

You should be ok , I have never tried in Italy or France but I used my OCBC card many times in the UK and that has six digits and the Uk has four digits and the ATM was ok.
    Perhaps the bank could confirm but I am sure it will be OK.

Rob

It's the golbal network your bank belongs to that is important.

You will always be able to find an ATM that accpets your card.

My experience is, 90% of them time, it's ok.

Bear in mine, not a good idea to take many small withdrawls. Service charges will add up.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Bear in mine, not a good idea to take many small withdrawls. Service charges will add up.
    And also the exchange rates kind of lousy when withdrawing currency overseas.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    And also the exchange rates kind of lousy when withdrawing currency overseas.
    If you try to convert Singapore currency, rate will be bad. As far as ATM, rate shold be ok, the rate will not beat what you can get here in Singapore.

I always go Far East Plaza to buy Euros. If you are going with others who also needs Euro, combine your purchases, save a few additional bucks.

Typically, I always end up brining about 1/3 of the cash for the trip, withdrawl 1/3 locally, and the rest on credit card.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio