Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Lens for wedding Photography...? help...

Default Re: Which Lens for wedding Photography...? help...

I use 70-200 in weddings for head shots as well as to get DOF but I can tell you majority of the time, I am using 24-35 range on FF. Or 50, since I don't have a 24-70 yet.

But generally in Singapore, for weddings, the ball room are usually not that big and lighting not always ideal. So from my experience, you might find 24-70 range, external flash, and fast lens more useful and practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayie Lostarz View Post
    hmm.. do i need that powerfull flash for malay wedding under the void deck and at home for soleminise function...? i thought as i read the tech at nikon webside sb-700 is almost has the same power with the sb-900 accept its a cheaper and newer...
    you may or you may not need for void deck, it is always best to use natural light. unless its an overcast day.

for home wise, it depends on situation and the light bulbs that they are using, some are sufficient enough without using flash.

as for the flash wise, cannot advise u cos i am not a nikon user.

just shoot for a cousin... but someone wants me to shoot for her engagement event soon... so i am practicing to get perfect... why...?
    if to help up , can just rent, and gather all the info here, good to practice , good luck to you

cheers
    to continue press hex key , to return to main menu press star

perhaps you can check out something I wrote some time ago

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547400

Basically like what @sinned79 said earlier, if you are taking photos at the void deck and inside the flats, you may not need a flash. Just the natural sunlight will do. If the flat interior is dim, the pop up flash will more or less be sufficient.

If you have extra cash, get a Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX. It is an ideal lens for wedding photography.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    I use 70-200 in weddings for head shots as well as to get DOF but I can tell you majority of the time, I am using 24-35 range on FF. Or 50, since I don't have a 24-70 yet.

But generally in Singapore, for weddings, the ball room are usually not that big and lighting not always ideal. So from my experience, you might find 24-70 range, external flash, and fast lens more useful and practical.

hmmm... thanks.. will try.. as for now i guess i stick with what i have lor.. 18mm-105mm kit lens and 50-200 for zooming... as i already bought a sb-700 speedlite.. will try it and see how... maybe later i will be investing on AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G for my d7k...
    Ayie Lostarz | D7K | 18mm-105mm | 55mm - 200mm | SB - 700

Stick with whatever you have first until you have budget then go for 17-55 f2.8 lens although the price is high but it's damn good. About your SB700 flash, it's already good enough to capture malay engagement & wedding events.

If you have the D7K, dont be afraid to ramp up the ISO decently!
    it will help your flash conserve power tremendously or use it as light fill.

Dont go low iso (because you are afraid of noise issues) and depend on the flash to pump out all its power for every shot.

Quote Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
    If you have the D7K, dont be afraid to ramp up the ISO decently!
    it will help your flash conserve power tremendously or use it as light fill.

Dont go low iso (because you are afraid of noise issues) and depend on the flash to pump out all its power for every shot.
    usually i use iso 400 for outdoor shooting and 800 for indoor..? is it ok..?

It depends on what you shoot, what time you shoot, and the lighting conditions and many other variables. There is no "best ISO" when it comes to shooting pictures. I usually shoot at ISO 200 outdoors in the day, but indoors can vary from 400 all the way to 6400.

Say you're using aperture priority. You set your aperture, the camera sets the shutter speed. Don't touch the ISO yet. If the shutter speed is very fast but you don't need that fast, you can lower your ISO. If your ISO is already at the base ISO (ISO 100 for Canon, ISO 200 for all Nikons except D7000, not sure about the other brands) you can leave it as it is. If you find your shutter speed too slow for handholding or for freezing the action, raise your ISO. That's all there is to it.

Hope this helps.

depends on how bright...iso100 for outdoor also can. usually i keep iso as low as possible to have a better IQ, only if no choice then i'll pump the iso. usually i set auto iso.

daytime i use ISO 100-200 (100 most of the time 200 when there is shade)

TS, IMHO... 18-105mm is sufficient with external flash, but please learn how to meter in TTL mode. And, you should be able to bounce flash under void deck or at home with SB700. I can do so with my SB600 as well...

Also, ISO1600 should be fairly usable on D7k...

Instead of asking which suitable lens and worry of so much things, just get your gadget down to any HDB void deck to test. It's much easier than to access to any banquet hall...

Test, learn and post to ask... many of your worries will go before the actual day.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Best thing to do now is to practice using all the new equipment you have, and learn to adjust and troubleshoot on the fly. During the wedding you won't have the time to experiment much so adjusting the ISO, changing the flash power, changing to a suitable lens for the shot you want, composing and pressing the shutter should be 2nd nature already.

You have bigger things to worry about - like tracking where the bride and groom are, what is going to happen next, and as importantly, getting out of the way of the main photographer if you are the 2nd shooter.

Using brand new lenses with perspectives and characteristics you have not figured out is a sure recipe for disaster. Just bring your camera with you everywhere you go for the next few days and see how well you expose for different lighting situations; even if not specific to a wedding it helps you understand your camera that much better.
    Nikonian since 2003
    F55 | D700

thanks guys... this really helps alot... will try and update....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12