Thread: What is that thing called?

Default What is that thing called?

The background thats usually white which studio photographers use for models or objects to take their photos , what is it called , anybody can help me? Those in schools which the OHPs use, is it totally the same?

Default Re: What is that thing called?

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Light tent? Backdrop?

Guess you are referring to backdrop.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

it's called a backdrop.

It can be in a form of paper or muslin cloth

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Light tent? Backdrop?
    The big piece of paper behind the model. does that help? haha. guess it would be backdrop. but anyway whats the definition for the both?

think they are called muslins if i am not mistaken.

Its a backdrop, can be either paper or muslin cloth.

Ok i think its backdrop. did a research on the word and its what i wanted. haha. now i need to know whats the cost roughly to get one up, including tripods to hold it up, the poles... etc. any idea? thanks alot.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    think they are called muslins if i am not mistaken.
    Muslin is the material..

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Ok i think its backdrop. did a research on the word and its what i wanted. haha. now i need to know whats the cost roughly to get one up, including tripods to hold it up, the poles... etc. any idea? thanks alot.
    Hope it helps... as I got the same question asked a month or 2 ago...

Those backdrops that I'm looking at are made of paper... and they run like $90+ for a pretty lengthy roll...

The stand (2 stand to be precise + a pole) would cost around $100+ for a simple one... a stable one could easily cost 2 to 3 times that price... Of course, it all depend on what you're using for... You won't want that thing to collapse on your model while shooting right

Generally... that's the price you're looking at for a proper one... Otherwise, you can also DIY using "Tek koh" + 2 of the "tek koh holder" to hold up the paper... You can also use alternative materials for backdrop too if you're tight on budget... but then do remember, the papers are there for a purpose (colour wise)

If you're using it just for 1 photoshoot however, do consider renting a studio that comes with it... It's more cost-effective this way
    Last edited by PaulKami; 18th January 2011 at 05:19 PM.
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Muslin is the material..
    oops

btw, i heard of ppl using mahjong paper also

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    The background thats usually white which studio photographers use for models or objects to take their photos , what is it called , anybody can help me? Those in schools which the OHPs use, is it totally the same?
    Err...white backdrop?

Actually any white wall can do....non-textured. To make it pure white, you'll have to light it. For me, I'll use 2 lights to light the back and then the rest for the subject.
    Last edited by eulee; 18th January 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks for the links! Using iPhone app now, will take a look when I'm back home haha.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79
    Thanks! I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by eulee
    Err...white backdrop?

Actually any white wall can do....non-textured. To make it pure white, you'll have to light it. For me, I'll use 2 lights to light the back and then the rest for the subject.
    I don have white walls so I need to get a bkgnd haha.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulKami

Hope it helps... as I got the same question asked a month or 2 ago...

Those backdrops that I'm looking at are made of paper... and they run like $90+ for a pretty lengthy roll...

The stand (2 stand to be precise + a pole) would cost around $100+ for a simple one... a stable one could easily cost 2 to 3 times that price... Of course, it all depend on what you're using for... You won't want that thing to collapse on your model while shooting right

Generally... that's the price you're looking at for a proper one... Otherwise, you can also DIY using "Tek koh" + 2 of the "tek koh holder" to hold up the paper... You can also use alternative materials for backdrop too if you're tight on budget... but then do remember, the papers are there for a purpose (colour wise)

If you're using it just for 1 photoshoot however, do consider renting a studio that comes with it... It's more cost-effective this way
    I see I see. Yeah of cos I wouldn't want the thing to drop haha but I would use it for more than one time so I need to invest in a proper one. Thanks for the rough guide. And don think the "tek koh" would last long haha. Nice idea though.