Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Panning bike

  1. #1

    Default Panning bike




    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, exposure, sharpness, etc...

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Tried panning a boy riding a bike, hope the subject is of reasonable sharpness and background is reasonable blurred.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Saw some children cycling at a open court around 7pm, pan and snap the picture of a boy on the bike. The boy was riding his bike at a reasonable speed, but not very fast.

    Exposure Program: Shutter
    Exposure time: 1/25 sec
    F-Number: f/4
    ISO: 200
    Focal Length: 70mm

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    First time tried panning, took few shots and chose the ok one. However, I find the background might not be that blurred out.
    Last edited by whomovemycheese; 19th January 2011 at 11:34 AM.

  2. #2
    Member bobgosling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bedok Road, Singapore
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Panning bike

    I have tried this type of shot ( but with a horse ) and know how hard it is to pan smoothly at the correct speed. Haven't tried it with "Live View", which would probably make it easier.

    If your intention was to convey a sense of fun & speed then this shot works for me.

    Good shot.
    Canon 550D + Sigma 17-70 + Canon 70-300 + Canon 50/1.8 + Nissin Di866 + Benro A1691T

  3. #3

    Default Re: Panning bike

    hi there, regarding your composition.. i feel that you can crop away some space behind the bicycle and also the top. in that way, there will be more concentrated active space for the bicycle to move into.

    as you get better with panning, you can drag your shutter speed to achieve "blurrer" background with your subject staying reasonably sharp.

    one tip i learnt is to set your camera in burst mode, AF-C, and fire away while panning with your subject. there's bound to be a nicely panned picture in the bunch.

    exposure wise, i think the picture is slightly underexposed. making the red shirt of the boy seem dull. maybe you can try up-ing the exposure and maybe increase the saturation a touch?

    all in all, i feel that all panning attempts have to start somewhere. and kudos for your attempt!

    My humble 2 cents.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by bobgosling View Post
    I have tried this type of shot ( but with a horse ) and know how hard it is to pan smoothly at the correct speed. Haven't tried it with "Live View", which would probably make it easier.

    If your intention was to convey a sense of fun & speed then this shot works for me.

    Good shot.
    i think live view will focus slower so not too good for panning..
    Canon EOS 550D|BG-E8|Tamron 17-50 f2.8|18-55mm IS|55-250mm IS|
    Flickr

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: Panning bike

    i feel the background need to be oof more.. lower f no. might help..
    and the green/yellow light is very distracting..
    maybe u like to explore at different angle..
    ~PeaceNoWar~

  6. #6

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by bobgosling View Post
    I have tried this type of shot ( but with a horse ) and know how hard it is to pan smoothly at the correct speed. Haven't tried it with "Live View", which would probably make it easier.

    If your intention was to convey a sense of fun & speed then this shot works for me.

    Good shot.
    Thanks Bob.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjayy View Post
    hi there, regarding your composition.. i feel that you can crop away some space behind the bicycle and also the top. in that way, there will be more concentrated active space for the bicycle to move into.

    as you get better with panning, you can drag your shutter speed to achieve "blurrer" background with your subject staying reasonably sharp.

    one tip i learnt is to set your camera in burst mode, AF-C, and fire away while panning with your subject. there's bound to be a nicely panned picture in the bunch.

    exposure wise, i think the picture is slightly underexposed. making the red shirt of the boy seem dull. maybe you can try up-ing the exposure and maybe increase the saturation a touch?

    all in all, i feel that all panning attempts have to start somewhere. and kudos for your attempt!

    My humble 2 cents.
    Thanks mikeyjayy. I will need to experiment next time with different shuttle speed and higher aperture no.
    As it was around 7pm then, thus the sky is getting dark. Will see about boosting up the exposure. I am positioning the child following rule of 1/3, as for cropping the space behind the bike? Hmmm....


    Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    i feel the background need to be oof more.. lower f no. might help..
    and the green/yellow light is very distracting..
    maybe u like to explore at different angle..
    Thanks intrance. Will definitely try out different settings and perspective next time.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    i feel the background need to be oof more.. lower f no. might help..
    and the green/yellow light is very distracting..
    maybe u like to explore at different angle..
    I agreed; to factors help a good pan:
    1. Shooting against a relatively plain background.
    2. Photographing the subject against a darker background.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by whomovemycheese View Post
    Thanks Bob.



    Thanks mikeyjayy. I will need to experiment next time with different shuttle speed and higher aperture no.
    As it was around 7pm then, thus the sky is getting dark. Will see about boosting up the exposure. I am positioning the child following rule of 1/3, as for cropping the space behind the bike? Hmmm....




    Thanks intrance. Will definitely try out different settings and perspective next time.
    For your information...to ensure a steady pan use an image stabilization lens ( I am sure you are). The vibration reduction mode should be set to NORMAL for Nikon lens,

  9. #9

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbot Man View Post
    For your information...to ensure a steady pan use an image stabilization lens ( I am sure you are). The vibration reduction mode should be set to NORMAL for Nikon lens,
    Abbot man, you are right! Sorry, I am still very new, may I know why VR needs to be off when doing panning?

  10. #10

    Default

    Is Continuous Focusing mode and tripod a must for panning shots?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by whomovemycheese View Post
    Abbot man, you are right! Sorry, I am still very new, may I know why VR needs to be off when doing panning?
    If you're using a Canon version (70-200 f/2.8 IS I/II) Set IS to Mode 2... It's for panning.

    Or, I would suggest getting a lens with very wide aperture... Such as the 85mm f/1.2L or 50mm f/1.2L. If you're broke, rent one. I'm sure you'll be (slightly/more) satisfied with ur pans if you know how to tame them...

  12. #12

    Default

    Tried it once on a cab out of curiousity one day and found it tough to execute on handheld

  13. #13

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroben View Post
    Is Continuous Focusing mode and tripod a must for panning shots?
    Not a must... Either u can use AI Servo(What u referred to as "Continuous Focusing" or MF...

    Tripod is not necessary, if your hands can tame the beast of the lens.

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm using Nikon.
    There's two focusing mode, Single and Continuous.
    Single locks focus during half shutter, Continuous keeps focusing at moving subject.
    Hope I didn't get any info wrong

  15. #15

    Default Re: Panning bike



    No, this isn't OOF... Taken with a 85mm f/1.2L @ f/1.2... (Basically it means that any panning shots I take with this @ f1.2 will have a very narrow focus pt, which if u look closer, is at the extreme right corner where the NCC logo is...)

  16. #16
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by thejoggingmat View Post

    No, this isn't OOF... Taken with a 85mm f/1.2L @ f/1.2... (Basically it means that any panning shots I take with this @ f1.2 will have a very narrow focus pt, which if u look closer, is at the extreme right corner where the NCC logo is...)

    Hmmm... Are you trying to tell us this picture you posted is a panned picture?
    And I don't get what you are trying to express.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Yes, it's panned. Just trying to show another example of a pan shot...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Panning bike

    the whole image is too OOF to tell where the focus point is. even the NCC logo is OOF, and it's hard for viewers to tell if it's the focal point or not. it just looks more in focus because the logo is large. but even just looking closely, every part of the logo is a blur. so i think, it's more like the panning effect that didn't take. keep trying!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Ok thx... Next stop: BIF

  20. #20

    Default Re: Panning bike

    Quote Originally Posted by thejoggingmat View Post
    Ok thx... Next stop: BIF
    LOL u can practice at Scape Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •