Thread: eww ... FUNGUS!

Unhappy eww ... FUNGUS!

Hi. I found fungus in my lens. What should I do now? Is there any way to save the lens, or does this mean it can never be used again? Is an electronic dry box absolutely necessary, or can I just use a dry box with silica gel? Thanks!

Default Re: eww ... FUNGUS!

Originally posted by Juvelyn
    Hi. I found fungus in my lens. What should I do now? Is there any way to save the lens, or does this mean it can never be used again? Is an electronic dry box absolutely necessary, or can I just use a dry box with silica gel? Thanks!
    A relatively good electric dry cabinet costs only abt $150 (cheaper at Carrefour), and it is anytime bigger than your little dry box with silica gel. It is very energy-efficient too. There is absolutely no periodic changing of silica gel necessary. It should be wiser to invest in an electric dry cabinet. You tend to save in the long run.

Lens is mouldy? If yours is a very expensive lens, it's safer to send it back to the agent for cleaning. If not, there are always the good old camera shops at Peninsula area which charge cheaper rates.
    Last edited by Barrios; 8th June 2002 at 02:38 PM.

does anyone have a shop to recommend? probably go and ask them to save the fungus-infected lens for me ...

Originally posted by Juvelyn
    does anyone have a shop to recommend? probably go and ask them to save the fungus-infected lens for me ...
    Try Cam X or Camera Workshop at Penisula Hotel. But beware that depending on situation, you might get stain marks, or the multicoating may come off together with the fungus when cleaned.

Regards
    CK

i advice you to bring it to the maker (minolta, nikon, canon). They got high-end equipment to do the job. But of coz, they may cost higher compare to other.