Thread: Spotters Vigil

Default Spotters Vigil

This image is taken at Farlington Marshes, to the north of Langstone Harbour, Portsmouth, UK.

Farlington Marshes is a Nature Reserve that attracts most of the waders and other birds especially at high tide. People visit in all weathers to observe the wildlife on the site. A particularly good time to visit is about 1 hour before high tide as this is the time birds will fly in from all parts of the harbour.

The image below was taken on a cold and threatening day. It represents the dedication and determination of those that come here to spot wildlife.

Comments etc are most welcome
    Kind regards
    Peter My website

Default Re: Spotters Vigil

Hi PeterD,

Would be good if we can view your pic. Link is broken i think... Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Neurospark View Post
    Hi PeterD,

Would be good if we can view your pic. Link is broken i think... Cheers!
    Pic is up again!
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

I like the pic!
    A tighter crop would be preferred, for me.
    Exploring! :)

A couple of comments:

As mentioned, I would have liked a tighter crop- a pano crop would be fine.

More importantly, the composition is a waste given that it has potential. I would have liked the photographer to be positioned about 1/3-way from the right hand side of the photograph as opposed to how you shot it, where the photographer is on the left-hand side, reason being, the camera is pointing to the left. Right now, the camera does not have enough "breathing room", and the scene seems prematurely disrupted.

I think you could have gone wider and left the photographer more room too- I think the use of space to the left of the cameraman in the photo would have created a lot of dramatic tension.
    Olympian

I like this photo esp the sky...
    But there might be too much black space at the bottom.

A square crop to remove the right side (plus remove a bit more of the bottom) could work well.. give it a try.. The threatening sky is beautiful and the man with his bino is poiting to the left.. so attention will natually wonder to the left instead of the right..
    Last edited by ClemC; 18th January 2011 at 09:43 AM.

TS, did you use high ISO for this picture? I notice the cloud is grainy.
    Anyway, agreed with rests, a tighter crop and position the man on the right following rule of 1/3 should work better for this picture.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Thank you all for your comments and I have to agree with them all. The main points that I have picked up from this thread are:
    1. Too much black foreground.
    2. The position of the spotter should have been to the right of the image.
    3. Thr 1/3 rule should be applied (This would reduce the foreground issue at 1.
    4. Noise in the clouds. Yes this was taken with the E3 at ISO 800. I hope I have managed to reduce this.

Looking at the original image, I found I had enough to incorporate the comments. Please can you let me have your comments regarding the re-crop.

Thank you all for your VERY helpful comments. I am sorry it has taken me this long to reply but I have had to concentrate on my dog Blade who passed away last night after a week of great struggles.
    Kind regards
    Peter My website

Hi PeterD,

I'm so sorry to hear about Blade. May your dog find peace in the fact that the suffering has finally come to an end. I admire your commitment towards the care of your dog. Anyway, I finally saw your picture. Its great... Esp your revised one... Love the clouds and the silhouette effect... keep it up!

Peter, sorry to hear your lost, my deepest condolence.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurospark View Post
    Hi PeterD,

I'm so sorry to hear about Blade. May your dog find peace in the fact that the suffering has finally come to an end. I admire your commitment towards the care of your dog. Anyway, I finally saw your picture. Its great... Esp your revised one... Love the clouds and the silhouette effect... keep it up!
    Thank you for your comments and kind condolence. The image improvement was solely down to the comments made within this forum which I also greatly appreciate. From these, I have learnt more to improve my compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Peter, sorry to hear your lost, my deepest condolence.
    Thank you for your kind condolence. Blade was only 8 years old and he was my true friend and companion. God made all the creatures on earth and I hope he has somewhere special for Blade.
    Kind regards
    Peter My website