Thread: Bokeh effect for kit lens II...

Default Bokeh effect for kit lens II...

Hi all,

Would like to ask how to achieve bokeh effects on the 18-135MM kit lens. I try to use Av mode but seems like the effect is not there. I use f/5.6. Wonder why it cant go to as low as 3.5 or 4. Thanks.
    EOS 60D | 18-135 with B+W UV filter| 50mm f/1.8 II | 70-300L with B=W filter | newbie of photography

Default Re: Bokeh effect for kit lens II...

Quote Originally Posted by tan280 View Post
    Hi all,

Would like to ask how to achieve bokeh effects on the 18-135MM kit lens. I try to use Av mode but seems like the effect is not there. I use f/5.6. Wonder why it cant go to as low as 3.5 or 4. Thanks.
    If you look at your lens, the aperture value says 3.5-5.6, it means that at 18mm the widest you can go is f3.5 but at 135mm the widest is f5.6. Thats why you can't get anything lower than that. To achieve bokeh effect, you could a wider aperture(a faster lens) or work closer to your subject.

Here is why:

18mm - f3.5
    24mm - f4
    35mm - f4.5
    50mm - f5
    85mm - f5.6
    135mm - f5.6

Quote Originally Posted by tan280 View Post
    You can achieve a certain out of focus effect for the background, using it as subject isolation. Do note that 'bokeh' is a quality term for the out of focus area. It can be pleasing or not, but you cannot specifically achieve bokeh.
    For background blur try to use the long end of your lens (vulgo: zoom to maximum), have the object close to you and the background far behind. This will show you that your kit lens is well able to achieve subject isolation.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You can achieve a certain out of focus effect for the background, using it as subject isolation. Do note that 'bokeh' is a quality term for the out of focus area. It can be pleasing or not, but you cannot specifically achieve bokeh.
    For background blur try to use the long end of your lens (vulgo: zoom to maximum), have the object close to you and the background far behind. This will show you that your kit lens is well able to achieve subject isolation.
    Yup. Working with distance is also important for isolation and background blur. Can't just rely on large aperture alone
    Alpha and Omega

Wink Re: Bokeh effect for kit lens II...

You may find this video useful..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Igz6QM7Ag

Cheers

Wow thanks for all the inputs... learn something again...
    EOS 60D | 18-135 with B+W UV filter| 50mm f/1.8 II | 70-300L with B=W filter | newbie of photography

To improve the boka effect for kit lens II you can try zooming out to your max range which is 135mm, using the bigger aperture which is F/5.6 & lastly having background from your subject far away.
    [Canon 500D][EF-S 15-85mm][EF 50mm II][430EX II]
    HomePage's[http://cadefox.multiply.com/]

Roger that.. going to try out at multiple zoom range... tks..