Thread: Moving into dSLR : advice needed

Default Moving into dSLR : advice needed

Greetings to all!

I have a set of Panasonic LX3 that has been with me for 1.5 years. Shot pretty well pictures, had fun with playing on all the modes. Love the vintage look of it. Oh, and not forgetting I got this via CS too

However, i am looking to moving into dSLR as I feel that i am ready to take on more control on a camera and I enjoy portrait photography very much - something that I cant really achieve the optimal results that I wish using the LX3. I enjoy shooting natural scenaries as well.

Appreciate if fellow CS-ers can advise me on the following:

1) Any recommendation on entry level dSLR for the above requirements? Preferred brand is Canon
    2) What are the lens i could get for shooting portraits and landscape?
    3) Where are the locations that I could get a great price for the above two recommendations? ( I dont mind second hand equipments, so if anyone is selling theirs to upgrade, please do let me know too )

Finally, it would be great if you could recommend any websites that i could deepen my knowledge and understanding of shooting with dSLR. Hoping to get one set soonest so that i can do hands-on and kick start to shoot more!

Thanks to all in advance!

Default Re: Moving into dSLR : advice needed

Hi,

Have a go at this thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787393

Since you prefer canon. There's canon 550D for you to get.

All lens can shoot portrait and landscape, hence its important to first know what you need rather than buy first and figure out a need later.

Typically a kit lens 18-55 can do most of the photography you need.

As for where are the shops. Its mscolor, slr revolution, Cathay photos. These are some of the most frequently mentioned names. Do a search and read up theprice guide you will get lots of info already.

Second hand equipments please look at the buy and sell section. They have a specific section for canon equipments.

Website wise . You are already in one that has tons of information. Question is are you willing to plough through the old threads using the search function kr not

There's lots of stickies and guides written for beginners. Other than that , google is a powerful search tool as well.

Cheers
    Alpha and Omega

1) 500D/550D/60D will be a good start
    2)10-22 for landscape and 35/50/85/135mm for portraits (Note: I personally use 70-200 for portraits but it really differs according to personal preference.
    3) TK/SLRR, etc

Gonna stick my neck on the chopping board and suggest Canon 550D w 18-55 kit lens and a cheap fast prime like 50/1.8.
    But take the trouble to test it out first at Canon's showroom in Vivocity. Hopefully you like how it feels in your hands (size, weight, ergonomics, button layout, etc).
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas
    Hi,

Have a go at this thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787393

Since you prefer canon. There's canon 550D for you to get.

All lens can shoot portrait and landscape, hence its important to first know what you need rather than buy first and figure out a need later.

Typically a kit lens 18-55 can do most of the photography you need.

As for where are the shops. Its mscolor, slr revolution, Cathay photos. These are some of the most frequently mentioned names. Do a search and read up theprice guide you will get lots of info already.

Second hand equipments please look at the buy and sell section. They have a specific section for canon equipments.

Website wise . You are already in one that has tons of information. Question is are you willing to plough through the old threads using the search function kr not

There's lots of stickies and guides written for beginners. Other than that , google is a powerful search tool as well.

Cheers

@ Atarandas: Appreciate your advice. Been a long time since i visited CS and now it is definitely high time to dig valuable treasures of advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79
    1) 500D/550D/60D will be a good start
    2)10-22 for landscape and 35/50/85/135mm for portraits (Note: I personally use 70-200 for portraits but it really differs according to personal preference.
    3) TK/SLRR, etc
    Hmm. Shall keep a look out for the above mentioned models. I should be getting the basic kit first before venturing into lenses but i shall keep your suggestions in mind

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    Gonna stick my neck on the chopping board and suggest Canon 550D w 18-55 kit lens and a cheap fast prime like 50/1.8.
    But take the trouble to test it out first at Canon's showroom in Vivocity. Hopefully you like how it feels in your hands (size, weight, ergonomics, button layout, etc).
    Sounds good to me! Was itching to get 550d the day it was launched actually... More reason to do so after 3 recommendations!

Since you are not really new to photography, would suggest you skip all the entry level type DSLR. If you can still get your hands on a 40D from BNS section, then go for it. If not a 50D or 60D would be great too. You don't really have a lot of control in entry level DSLRs and you may quickly find that some function lacking. Eg Manual ISO selections are in full stops.........you would have wish to have something in between.........I sold my 500D within 6mths So trying to help you save your pain.
    Canon User

Quote Originally Posted by femmeordinaire View Post
    Greetings to all!

I have a set of Panasonic LX3 that has been with me for 1.5 years. Shot pretty well pictures, had fun with playing on all the modes. Love the vintage look of it. Oh, and not forgetting I got this via CS too

However, i am looking to moving into dSLR as I feel that i am ready to take on more control on a camera and I enjoy portrait photography very much - something that I cant really achieve the optimal results that I wish using the LX3. I enjoy shooting natural scenaries as well.

1) Any recommendation on entry level dSLR for the above requirements? Preferred brand is Canon
    3) Where are the locations that I could get a great price for the above two recommendations? ( I dont mind second hand equipments, so if anyone is selling theirs to upgrade, please do let me know too )

Finally, it would be great if you could recommend any websites that i could deepen my knowledge and understanding of shooting with dSLR. Hoping to get one set soonest so that i can do hands-on and kick start to shoot more!

If you prefer a Canon, then a 550D is a good camera at a nice price.

If you are open to options. I suggest you look at the Pentax Kr.
    Review here :
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-k-r-14989

Comes in multi colors too.

You can also look here to compare camera performance based on sample photos.
    The Kr gives no ground to equivalent and higher end models in terms of high ISO performance.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Very good price of ~$900 with a 18-55mm kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by femmeordinaire View Post
    Greetings to all!

I would suggest to get 550D with kit II & a 50mm F1.8 as potrait lense. So far i am happy with the camera performance.