Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: which lens to buy???

  1. #1

    Default which lens to buy???

    hey guys I am using the D3100 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I need some advice on the lens I want to buy.. should I..

    1) buy a 18-200mm lens
    or
    2) buy a 50mm f/1.8 + 18-105mm
    or
    3) buy a 38mm f/1.8 + 55-300mm (which can compliment my kit lens)


    thx!
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNorman

    3 option will be fine unless you want to see your current len 18-55
    I was wondering is there any point in having a 18-55 and a 55-300 as compared to just having one zoom lens 18-200..
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

  3. #3
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
    2) buy a 50mm f/1.8 + 18-105mm
    AF-D 50mm f/1.8? it wun be able to do AF on ur d3100 unless u r planning to do manual focus all the way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust
    I was wondering is there any point in having a 18-55 and a 55-300 as compared to just having one zoom lens 18-200..
    wad the 18-200 offers u is versatility. the 18-55 and 55-300 combi offers better IQ than 18-200 alone, plus longer reach. but 18-200 reduces the hassle of changing lenses, which is a plus point for traveling.

    my advice to u:

    ask urself, wad do u really need? versatility or low light + longer reach? or do u even need these at all? only u can ans this urself.

    my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Irvine; 16th January 2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust
    hey guys I am using the D3100 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I need some advice on the lens I want to buy.. should I..

    1) buy a 18-200mm lens
    or
    2) buy a 50mm f/1.8 + 18-105mm
    or
    3) buy a 38mm f/1.8 + 55-300mm (which can compliment my kit lens)

    thx!
    Buy 35/1.8DX and 55-200VR.
    It's cheaper than 55-300. Should be enough reach, I think
    Exploring! :)

  5. #5

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
    hey guys I am using the D3100 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I need some advice on the lens I want to buy.. should I..

    1) buy a 18-200mm lens
    or
    2) buy a 50mm f/1.8 + 18-105mm
    or
    3) buy a 38mm f/1.8 + 55-300mm (which can compliment my kit lens)


    thx!
    It really depends on what you are shooting. Still-life? landscape? Or just everyday photography?

    Here's a combination list of what i can think of.

    Still-life/portraits/product:
    DX 35mm f/1.8 + 18-105mm (2nd hand more worth)


    Landscape/Architecture:
    DX 16-85mm + AF-S 70-300mm VR (FX lens)

    Everyday photography:
    18-200mm VR OR 28-300mm VR

    If your budget is tight i don't recommend option 2. Hope this gives you more options.
    Cheers

  6. #6

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    if u want convenience, choose 18-200.

    if u don't mind changing lens, get the 55-200 or 55-300, or buy the 35 f1.8 (great for low light) and 55-200 or 55-300 if u have more budget.
    Last edited by baggiolee; 16th January 2011 at 05:13 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz

    It really depends on what you are shooting. Still-life? landscape? Or just everyday photography?

    Here's a combination list of what i can think of.

    Still-life/portraits/product:
    DX 35mm f/1.8 + 18-105mm (2nd hand more worth)

    Landscape/Architecture:
    DX 16-85mm + AF-S 70-300mm VR (FX lens)

    Everyday photography:
    18-200mm VR OR 28-300mm VR

    If your budget is tight i don't recommend option 2. Hope this gives you more options.
    Cheers
    if I'm doing portraits/weddings/outdoor events.. shld I get a 18-200 + 35mm 1.8?

    are 35mm lens for wide angle landscape shots only? or can i use them for portraits to obtain a bokeh effect?
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    Get a 35mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.8 first..... and see whether you can survive with variable aperture or a fixed focal length....

    And just any lens could be used for landscape photog... it's just how you use it...

  9. #9

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    Get a 35mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.8 first..... and see whether you can survive with variable aperture or a fixed focal length....

    And just any lens could be used for landscape photog... it's just how you use it...
    But TS may not like the 35 or 50 for landscapes. Some people (like me) just prefer the wide angle for the kind of perspective distortion it offers.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    But TS may not like the 35 or 50 for landscapes. Some people (like me) just prefer the wide angle for the kind of perspective distortion it offers.
    he has a kit lens right? so he doesn't need to use the 35/50 for landscapes if he actually buys one right? I don't see him considering anything wider than 18mm either.

  11. #11

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    i word of advice from me....

    don't don't don't don't don't don't don't don't don't don't buy the 50 1.8 simply because if you are not used to manual focusing it is super hard to use and u'll mis-focus very often without the AF (d3100 has no internal focusing motor)

    my 50 1.8 slept in the dry cabi for very long till i upgraded my cam body

    18-200 and 35 1.8 should be a good choice imo for what you are doing
    Last edited by jeffchanjj; 16th January 2011 at 10:09 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    he has a kit lens right? so he doesn't need to use the 35/50 for landscapes if he actually buys one right? I don't see him considering anything wider than 18mm either.
    Haha chill man

    @TS
    you might want to look at the photos you take, if most of them are at 18mm, then a wider lens might do you good. If most of them are at 55mm, then get a 55-200 to complement your kit lens. If you want more subject isolation from background blur then get the 35/1.8, not the 50/1.8 since it won't AF on your camera body.

    HTH.

  13. #13

    Default

    thx guys. I guess I shall get a 35mm f1.8 first since currently I'm still survivable with my kit lens.

    must slowly upgrade if not I will go broke haha
    [Chasing the Light]
    Canon EOS 1D MK III user =X

  14. #14

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
    thx guys. I guess I shall get a 35mm f1.8 first since currently I'm still survivable with my kit lens.

    must slowly upgrade if not I will go broke haha
    35mm will be good. Mount the lens, forget about the zooming and focus on the composition.
    D200

  15. #15
    Member ettk75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    204

    Default

    You need to consider the type of photography you are into. With that, you will choose the suitable lens for the purpose.
    If you are into wedding/ event, prime lens will be good but at times, you might need the zooms. However, you do not need zooms that goes beyond 105mm; in view that IQ will be affected in certain ways. Read more on portraits, or wedding photography, so that you will understand more of the type of equipments required. Many of the replies will only general share their views but not making you understand.

    With D3100 (without in-camera AF motor), choose those lenses that come with AF motor; otherwise you will be doing manual focusing all the times (unless you are good at it, though manual focus is essential to master). So find out which lens has AF motor, & compare which lens will help in your shooting; then make the decision to buy.
    Do not buy it, just becoz someone tell you how good or fantastic the lens is. Don't get contract the 'buying' virus & then regret with it where you might decide to sell them in the next few days or month. It's not worth as the price will be depreciated which means you will suffer a loss.
    So instead of making a loss, why not make good use of your kit lens till it's fullest before you venture to the next better lens. By then, you would have master the basic shooting skills.
    If you have a better budget, get a relatively good flashgun (SB-600 & below) with either a prime like 35 f1.8, or 18-105 (at 105, sharpness for portraiture will be good). Since one of your options is for 18-200 (which cost about $1,100+), why not get something which gives you IQ instead. Read up more on the Nikkor lenses.

    Keep your 18-55VR, you won't regret doing so (trust me...been there, done that).
    The above recommendation is more suitable to use with D3100 due to it's small body & the need to use when shooting wedding/ event.

    Well, I will share this much for now. Hope the above will help you better understand what you really need.

    Happy snapping.
    Last edited by ettk75; 17th January 2011 at 02:17 PM.
    Capture life moments...from the heart...

  16. #16

    Default Re: which lens to buy???

    16-85mm IQ is good.
    Also love the additional 2mm
    Nikon D90: 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •