Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 79

Thread: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    My current crop:


    Left: FG, EL2, FE2; Right: Nikomat FT2, Nikon F Photomic FTn

    How to define favourite?

    Lusted for? Nikomat FT2 - was a student and can't afford a Nikon or Nikomat or Nikkormat. One of my classmate's father had a photo studio and she had this one... I had to buy one used when I had the cash.

    Lusted but never had? FE.

    Sense of history? What else but the original Nikon F, the one I have is the Nikon F Photomic FTn, circa 1969. That's 41 years old, still accurate and reliable. Not the most ergonomic piece of beast, but certainly the Vietnam war veteran and the original.

    My first? That's the FE2. My first camera when I could squeeze out enough cash to buy one (body only, had to live with a Soligor lens and a Sunpak flash, off closure sale of some shop in Lucky Plaza). If you do you math you will know that I lusted for a Nikon for 9 years from FT2 to FE to FE2.

    Most used? That's the F801 and F801s. These two went through countless weddings. I remember the days when I had the latest AF camera, but had AI 28mm f/2.8, AI 50mm f/1.4 and AIS 105mm f/2.5. LOL. Loved that spot meter, though.

    Most traveled with? FG. Smallest full feature Nikon SLR (EM does not have manual exposure, FG-20 not TTL flash). Was with AI 20mm f/3.5, AIS 50mm f/1.8 and AIS 105mm f/2.5 at a time when I was using F70 as my film camera.

    Also loved the Nikon EL2, but used sparingly. Also used the FM but never did like manual exposure with LED readout that much (Nikon F and Nikomat FT2 were centre-the-needle type metering.

    Today all digital. Film is for me curiosity and history, nostalgic and memory.
    omg why you lust for FE when you have FE2!!

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    My current crop:


    Most traveled with? FG. Smallest full feature Nikon SLR (EM does not have manual exposure, FG-20 not TTL flash). Was with AI 20mm f/3.5, AIS 50mm f/1.8 and AIS 105mm f/2.5 at a time when I was using F70 as my film camera.

    Also loved the Nikon EL2, but used sparingly. Also used the FM but never did like manual exposure with LED readout that much (Nikon F and Nikomat FT2 were centre-the-needle type metering.
    i ve been thinking of getting the FG for the times where i wanna go light, but am worried its abit small. how does it feel in the hand?

    the F501 and F301 are very nice too. PMA modes, 1/2000 ss, and built in motor drive. got one of each and they re actually very nice cameras to bring around for fun. the F501 has AF too for when you pass the camera to some other guy to take a group picture =)
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  3. #23

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    FM2. Because it was the Nikon I could afford as an undergrad and it could survive all the harshest treatment and adventure.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    omg why you lust for FE when you have FE2!!
    Lusted past FE... when I had the money FE already replaced by FE2, bought FE2 instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    i ve been thinking of getting the FG for the times where i wanna go light, but am worried its abit small. how does it feel in the hand?

    the F501 and F301 are very nice too. PMA modes, 1/2000 ss, and built in motor drive. got one of each and they re actually very nice cameras to bring around for fun. the F501 has AF too for when you pass the camera to some other guy to take a group picture =)
    The FG felt like a toy, but work like charm. FG with body cap, 20mm, and 50mm in a waist pouch. Wow!

    I'd never like the F501 and F301.

    Oh I also had F601QD, nice little camera with pop up flash. That plus my 35/2 did lots of good photos for my family.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    You could consider doing a transplant Buy a "newer" body cheap via Ebay and have the insides swapped



    Quote Originally Posted by MacroMarlin View Post
    Mine fav would still be the F3HP.....
    1) Dropped it several times and it still survived.
    2) Go into extreme cold temperature can still switch to mechanical shutter when the battery 'freezes'!
    3) My first cam that offers me multiple exposure function.
    4) Gone out fishing with me for years, sprinkled with seawater, rain and occasional sand and it still survived.
    5) Bashed against rocks afew times when climbing a mountains (those small ones in this region)
    6) After all these years it is still neat looking and it works well just by itself, until I had the MD4, after that don't want to take it off anymore...


    Truly a workhorse..........but alas, like all good things must come to an end someday. After almost 20yrs, internal circuitry is clonking off, one after another........

  6. #26

    Default

    My favourite has to be the F4s.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    My favourite is F5. AF is very good, even by today's standard.

  8. #28
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    hopefully won't detract too much from the current topic but just a quick question:

    what would you recommend as a good starting nikon film camera for beginner?

    2nd hand price can get for less than $300?

    always wanted to dabble and try film

  9. #29

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan View Post
    hopefully won't detract too much from the current topic but just a quick question:

    what would you recommend as a good starting nikon film camera for beginner?

    2nd hand price can get for less than $300?

    always wanted to dabble and try film
    i like the feel of the F80. maybe you can give that a try.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    F90x with mb-10. Cheapest alternative to full frame and it meters perfectly with my 28/2, 55/3.5 and 105/2.5, and offering AF with my AFD 50/1.8 too. Solid handling (to the point of being somewhat heavier) with great ergonomics. Uses AA batteries which is a major plus. Sells for quite cheaply if you manage to get a good deal.

  11. #31
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    thanks for the suggestions!

    i'll try to do some research on my own.

    back to topic on hand of what's your favorite film SLR haha

  12. #32

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Some say the best user Nikon film SLRs are the FM/FE range, comprising FM, FE, FM2, FE2, FA, FM3A. Small, light weight, extremely reliable. Manual focus, auto or manual exposure depending on model. Some purists (including me) dismiss FA as gimmicky, the predecessor of the current Matrix Metering technology.

    The best pro range are definitely the F's, comprising F, F2, F3, F4, F5 and F6 in the many variations, the earlier ones based entirely on the metering head (F2, F2S, F2Sb, F2A, F2AS all based on same camera with different metering head, pre-Ai, and Ai, non-metered, CdS and silicon diode). Later ones from F4 onwards more variation on power pack and other configurations.

    Best manual mechanical is FM3A, FM2, FM and the Nikkormats (Nikomat for Japan market) FT3 (Ai), FT2 (Pre-Ai), FTn, FT, FS (non-metered). Battery not required!

    There is then the plastic EM, FG and FG-20. Good, basic functional.

    To me the various AF ranges are more in the current mindset of use and throw, starting F301 (non-AF), F501, F401, F601, F801, F90, F100, F70, F80, F60, F65, F50. Your mileage may vary. Convenient and will AF, matrix meter, sing-and-dance and entertain you as well.

    My absolute favourite is the Nikon F Photomic FTn. The Original that started it all in its final configuration.
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 19th January 2011 at 11:47 AM.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Would have to be the F3HP. Used a number of film bodies but never left the F3HP for long. The feel of the winder and how the camera feels in my hand is just a class of its own. The only other cameras that I have handled with such a smooth (or smoother) winder are Leicas.

    I guess it is because I am used to the class designs but the the controls on the F3HP is very intuitive for me.

    The downsides for me is that the K screen could be a bit brighter and that it can be hard to see the shutter speed and aperture in low light. But these are just some tiny niggles that does not take away the joy of the F3HP

    Currently also have the FM2n which has a much brighter screen and is heck of a much easier camera to get the metering right in low light. The lighted >o< is a joy to use. It does make a very good backup/alternative to my F3HP, especially when I want to travel that little little bit lighter.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Some say the best user Nikon film SLRs are the FM/FE range, comprising FM, FE, FM2, FE2, FA, FM3A. Small, light weight, extremely reliable. Manual focus, auto or manual exposure depending on model. Some purists (including me) dismiss FA as gimmicky, the predecessor of the current Matrix Metering technology.

    The best pro range are definitely the F's, comprising F, F2, F3, F4, F5 and F6 in the many variations, the earlier ones based entirely on the metering head (F2, F2S, F2Sb, F2A, F2AS all based on same camera with different metering head, pre-Ai, and Ai, non-metered, CdS and silicon diode). Later ones from F4 onwards more variation on power pack and other configurations.

    Best manual mechanical is FM3A, FM2, FM and the Nikkormats (Nikomat for Japan market) FT3 (Ai), FT2 (Pre-Ai), FTn, FT, FS (non-metered). Battery not required!

    There is then the plastic EM, FG and FG-20. Good, basic functional.

    To me the various AF ranges are more in the current mindset of use and throw, starting F301 (non-AF), F501, F401, F601, F801, F90, F100, F70, F80, F60, F65, F50. Your mileage may vary. Convenient and will AF, matrix meter, sing-and-dance and entertain you as well.

    My absolute favourite is the Nikon F Photomic FTn. The Original that started it all in its final configuration.
    Nice summary of the bodies and can totally understand your love for the Nikon F FTn. It is one heck of a camera

    Pretty tempted to get the standard prism F or F2. They all look so clean and sleek!

  15. #35

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by COBALT View Post
    You can try Ron's camera #B1-31 at Adelphi, across from Funan Center. He seems to stock the most F3's. I saw that he has focusing screens too.

    I got mine thru Ebay and there are quite a few DW3 waist-level finders listed.
    Great thanks for the tip I'll try and see how it goes!

    Quote Originally Posted by azzurri View Post
    Would have to be the F3HP. Used a number of film bodies but never left the F3HP for long. The feel of the winder and how the camera feels in my hand is just a class of its own. The only other cameras that I have handled with such a smooth (or smoother) winder are Leicas.

    I guess it is because I am used to the class designs but the the controls on the F3HP is very intuitive for me.

    The downsides for me is that the K screen could be a bit brighter and that it can be hard to see the shutter speed and aperture in low light. But these are just some tiny niggles that does not take away the joy of the F3HP

    Currently also have the FM2n which has a much brighter screen and is heck of a much easier camera to get the metering right in low light. The lighted >o< is a joy to use. It does make a very good backup/alternative to my F3HP, especially when I want to travel that little little bit lighter.
    I kinda agree on the focusing screen, but then again. What alternatives are there for the F3's screens?
    ( Documenting the Human Condition | Flickr )

  16. #36

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by theRenaissance View Post

    I kinda agree on the focusing screen, but then again. What alternatives are there for the F3's screens?
    There is the red dot screen which is supposed to be the second generation screen that is brighter. My current K screen is the red dot one but still feel it could be brighter. My FM2n's screen is brighter; especially after a clean.

    Been wanting to try the H1 screen, it is supposed to be brighter.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanhan
    hopefully won't detract too much from the current topic but just a quick question:

    what would you recommend as a good starting nikon film camera for beginner?

    2nd hand price can get for less than $300?

    always wanted to dabble and try film
    Then go for the FM2.

  18. #38
    Member kwanhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    thanks for the suggestion

    i'll check out the FM2.

    ----

    on another side note i found this site which actually lets u check approximately how old are the nikon MF lens based on serial no

    http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

    turns out my 50 1.4 AI'D given to me could possibly be close to 40 years old?

    makes you wonder what have all these old cameras and lenses "seen" and been through, especially if you are 2nd hand owner haha

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Some say the best user Nikon film SLRs are the FM/FE range, comprising FM, FE, FM2, FE2, FA, FM3A. Small, light weight, extremely reliable. Manual focus, auto or manual exposure depending on model. Some purists (including me) dismiss FA as gimmicky, the predecessor of the current Matrix Metering technology.
    i thought the FA was abit of a gimmick too, but i'd shot over 20 rolls of neg and slide, and had almost never set exposure compensation (usually because i forget). and even backlit slides come out good. the problem comes when you shoot in vertical orientation, cos then the camera doesnt know its vertical. but thats only been an issue a very few times.

    i slammed my previous FA body into the ground when i slipped and fell while running in the rain. quite some scratches and the film advance lever got slightly bent. but after a little twisting, it was straight again. the camera still worked flawlessly. my 50 1.2 got a chip on the lens barrel =\

    it's def not my 'purist camera' though, i use my FTN for that. i use it in place of my d200 when i want to shoot fullframe and i want it to be fast. and for someone like me who shoots 80% manual lenses, the FA is spot on, giving you a whole range of features and a v nice bright screen without breaking the bank.

    on my part, i ve never liked the FM2 (no offence, just my personal view) cos of the LED readout. it seems slower and unaesthetic compared to the match needle kind of display. IMHO, the only thing it gains from a nikomat is 1/4000 ss(important!), bigger VF and ttl flash.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  20. #40
    Member pansclub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Serangoon ave 3
    Posts
    313

    Default Re: Your FAVORITE Nikon Film SLR and why?

    Hi share what I use in the eighties and its a long way and long ago too.
    I am born in the film era now old liow.
    I own many cameras, Like 2 om's 1 and 2, two leica"s one is SL 2 and the other is R4, two nikon's FE and F2, a mamiya RB67, a Canon AE 1 I think can remember liow.
    I have given up all those camera but I cannot bear to give up the F2.
    During the eighties I made a living on product shot and usually shoot for printer's client,
    mostly for commercial used, be it brochure, flyer, shop display etc.
    I used 120 from the mamiya or 35mm from this very reliable F2 which by now is approximately 30 years,
    This F2 have follow me ever since and I will probably have it for the rest of my life.
    Why I like this F2 is that when we shoot in our studio most of the time its very dark and we could access all the control by feeling the control like a blind man.
    It never fail me throughout my work and there is never a chance of reshoot as most have limited time frame.I also love the needle that indicate the exposure.
    To made long story shot as I am very poor in writing essay.
    I am lucky to be proud owner, and thankful to nikon for producing a camera that allow me to sleep well after a important assignment.
    The current condition of all the pictured nikon item is still in extremely good condition can say 95 % to 99 %.

    My Nikon camera and lenses photo that I am happy to share and thanks ts for creating this thread.



    Last edited by pansclub; 20th January 2011 at 12:36 AM.
    Fuji X Pro1 18-55, Voigt SL125mm Apo F2.5.
    Sony 7r 55 2.8,85 1.4,180ed 2.8,70-300,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •