Thread: Portable ring flash?

Default Portable ring flash?

I've seen ring flashes in studios, the humongous type which you can practically fit your camera through..

But are there any portable versions? I've always loved the effect of the ring flash in a studio and wonder if we could actually bring it out for a shoot. Seen the rayflash and orbis, but they seem pretty small and the orbis is really expensive.

Anyone has any idea? Or has anyone DIY one?
    "Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vince Lombardi

Default Re: Portable ring flash?

Quote Originally Posted by iRaphael View Post
    I've seen ring flashes in studios, the humongous type which you can practically fit your camera through..

But are there any portable versions? I've always loved the effect of the ring flash in a studio and wonder if we could actually bring it out for a shoot. Seen the rayflash and orbis, but they seem pretty small and the orbis is really expensive.

there are ebay knock offs of the rayflash. They produce uneven lighting, but there is a DIY to fix it.

Depends on the flash power you require, a macro ring flash may do the trick. I have one and have shot portraits with it in the studio. But you gotta be fairly close to your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    there are ebay knock offs of the rayflash. They produce uneven lighting, but there is a DIY to fix it.
    how fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by iRaphael View Post

I have tried the type that direct light from speedlight, but not very successful. However Brilliant of Singapore make good portable models for both Canon and Nikon at around $300