Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipment storage & care

Originally posted by erwinx
    unless you have a <lot> of camera equipment, an electronic dry-box just seems to be a waste of space. Also, its ugly. Whereas plastic-boxes you can hide away in some cool, dark cupboard.

So those people with electronic dry-box, care to list what you put inside them? I find 2 plastic boxes enough to store all my camera equipment and all my slides.

If you are one who stores and doesn't use your equipment at all, it should be fine with just a little dry box with some silica gel. For someone who uses their equipment frequently, removing them in and out of the box will ultimately "use up" your silica gel sooner than u think. Do you think it is cost-saving in the long run? Believe me pal, I started with a teeny weeny little box just like you. Seeing your gel turn pink means $$$$$$$$ once again.

wow...that's a load of quality equipment....

Originally posted by Barrios
    If you are one who stores and doesn't use your equipment at all, it should be fine with just a little dry box with some silica gel. For someone who uses their equipment frequently, removing them in and out of the box will ultimately "use up" your silica gel sooner than u think. Do you think it is cost-saving in the long run? Believe me pal, I started with a teeny weeny little box just like you. Seeing your gel turn pink means $$$$$$$$ once again.
    Well, you can still recycle the silica gel by putting them in the stove or microwave oven. But it is a pain to do that so often, and that's the reason why I moved on to electric dry cabinet. The price for one is not really that high comparing to the money you spent on your equipment (cheapest dry cabinet is less then $100) and can save you all the troubles.
    Last edited by ziploc; 9th June 2002 at 12:26 PM.

someone mention this to me to justify buying a dry cabinet over using silica gel n dry box:

"The amount of gas/electricity you use to dry the silica gel is more than the amount of electricity you use for the dry cabinet"

Originally posted by currahee
    someone mention this to me to justify buying a dry cabinet over using silica gel n dry box:

"The amount of gas/electricity you use to dry the silica gel is more than the amount of electricity you use for the dry cabinet"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12