Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piegons "Kissing"

Default Pigeons "Kissing"

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    -Composition
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    -A (so-called) "timeless" (Correct me if I'm wrong...) pic
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    -While I was doing some bird-spotting in my neighbourhood
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    -An average pic; the bricks are distracting... ...
    Last edited by thejoggingmat; 16th January 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Default Re: Piegons "Kissing"

First, please spell the object/bird name correctly.
    Composition, I suggest a tighter crop to zoom in on the 2 pigeons. Unfortunately, one of the pigeon face is blocked, if you can capture the moment showing both pigeons face will be better. DOF and exposure are ok.
    Last edited by kwttan; 15th January 2011 at 05:13 PM.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    First, please spell the object/bird name correctly.
    Composition, I suggest a tighter crop to zoom in on the 2 pigeons. Unfortunately, one of the pigeon face is blocked, if you can capture the moment showing both pigeons face will be better. DOF and exposure are ok.
    Title edited...

I haven't done any PP or cropping yet, currently doing it now... will update the pic later.
    It will be nice if I can move to a different position, though they may not be "kissing" anymore if I were to reach the position. So it's kinda more like a snapshot...
    Last edited by thejoggingmat; 15th January 2011 at 06:41 PM.

IMHO: I think it is fine to have one of the faces covered. It looks like a more passionate kiss this way. I agree on the need to have a tighter crop as the surrounding do not improve the photo. Lastly need to sharpen image.

To improve composition : Have subject to fill your frame. You would need a very good telephoto lens !! Filling your frame with your point of interest (subject) will not only eliminate background distractions, it will also have a more intimate and significant impact on the overall results of your photograph.

wow......seems that pigeons kiss alot... i had a similar shot in London 3 years back. As these moments are hard to anticipate, the distracting foreground and background can't be helped I guess.

To improve the photo, as mentioned by CSers above, a longer telephoto lens will be better to fill up the frame, don't thinking cropping the photo will help much.

Perhaps you can try brightening the image in PS as well as the pigeons look really dark and lack details.

here's mine, linked from FB just for reference (so pardon the poor web quality) ....if you don't like it i can remove the image, just pm me.

A7R2|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|Σ150|

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    wow......seems that pigeons kiss alot... i had a similar shot in London 3 years back. As these moments are hard to anticipate, the distracting foreground and background can't be helped I guess.

To improve the photo, as mentioned by CSers above, a longer telephoto lens will be better to fill up the frame, don't thinking cropping the photo will help much.

Perhaps you can try brightening the image in PS as well as the pigeons look really dark and lack details.

here's mine, linked from FB just for reference (so pardon the poor web quality) ....if you don't like it i can remove the image, just pm me.

+1, .Certainly this is one is more appealing...

not a bad attempt.

i agree with the rests - a tighter crop will be nicer otherwise it would be lost in the background. i would crop more of the roof away. the shadow lines are distracting.

also the birds are underexposed.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    comments:

example:
    Looks better, I must admit... though I don't really fancy the idea of the bokeh bring a little over-contrasted.

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Abbot Man View Post
    To improve composition : Have subject to fill your frame. You would need a very good telephoto lens !! Filling your frame with your point of interest (subject) will not only eliminate background distractions, it will also have a more intimate and significant impact on the overall results of your photograph.
    TBH, I was already using a BIIIIGGGG telephoto... My very rich friend just got the 600mm Canon lens that he ordered a few months back... It's a nice lens... Though the birds were 3 blocks away.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoggingmat View Post
    TBH, I was already using a BIIIIGGGG telephoto... My very rich friend just got the 600mm Canon lens that he ordered a few months back... It's a nice lens... Though the birds were 3 blocks away.

600mm Wow!
    Did you use a tripod and camera to "machine-gun" setting

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    600mm Wow!
    Did you use a tripod and camera to "machine-gun" setting
    LOL... No "Machine-gun" setting... Just AV mode, shooting at wide-open, and pure luck...

LOL... No "Machine-gun" setting... Just AV mode, shooting at wide-open, and pure luck...
    just to OT a little.. i used to have a battery powered M4A1 Carbine which i used to shoot pigeons off the ledge near my house windows

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    just to OT a little.. i used to have a battery powered M4A1 Carbine which i used to shoot pigeons off the ledge near my house windows
    What happened to those pigeons?

If I still have time after capturing this shot, I will move my cam/body to the left... placing the left bird on brighter background.

And, you should do proper editing (e.g cropping) first before sharing ma ~ then we will appreciate more of your works
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by szeping View Post
    If I still have time after capturing this shot, I will move my cam/body to the left... placing the left bird on brighter background.

And, you should do proper editing (e.g cropping) first before sharing ma ~ then we will appreciate more of your works
    I will post the croppped pic tonite... though moving the camera/ RPG to another position is as easy as doing parallel parking without prior training ...

wow....600mm! perhaps you should be aiming at subjects 2 blocks away instead of the pigeons 3 blocks away then The lens is definitely long enough, just that your subjects are too small and out of the range still
    A7R2|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|Σ150|

wow....600mm! perhaps you should be aiming at subjects 2 blocks away instead of the pigeons 3 blocks away then The lens is definitely long enough, just that your subjects are too small and out of the range still
    But I doubt I have the psychic skills to cmmand th pigeons to come closer & kiss. If only I could...

What happened to those pigeons?
    they flew off after squawking. just don't want them coming into the house..because the window's always open.

although the SPCA would frown upon it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast