Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EOS Academy Photography Contest

Default Re: EOS Academy Photography Contest

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hmm. i seen worse before. i used to collect whole sch worth of IC, and submit the numbers in. those were the days when i was in the infocomm club, doing multimedia/websitedesign/videography. 4000 votes in less than 4 hours.

because i know how we can rig the game, thats why i'm not joining.

Yeah, I do have a nice long list of I/C numbers to submit with. But it stinks of despo-ness, so i'm not going to do that. Some people actually used their parents/grandparents/siblings I/C's to submit photos. The organizers ended up having to go through the submissions and take off those beyond a certain age limit on their I/C numbers...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joeltan111 View Post
    Yeah, I do have a nice long list of I/C numbers to submit with. But it stinks of despo-ness, so i'm not going to do that. Some people actually used their parents/grandparents/siblings I/C's to submit photos. The organizers ended up having to go through the submissions and take off those beyond a certain age limit on their I/C numbers...
    i think going around begging for votes/ using social circle is equally dumb

for the last korean facebook ****? i got a friend who hounded on me on facebook when i didnt vote for her. apparently she keeps track of everyone and she constantly checks.

thats really what shocked me.

What's the conclusion here?

That those people who are desperate for fake online votes are biggest losers in the whole wide world and those people who do not rely on fake votes/take part in such competitions/do not have enough substance to take part are the greatest champions ever?

I do hope that there could be a conclusion to this thread soon.

It symbolizes something. I can sense a bag full of hurt in some people here. Just face it, there's this pettiness in some of us who just couldn't think and see like how the judges do, that those who won during such competitions are pure sell outs, don't know true meaning of photography, et cetera for another million virtues.

I wouldn't say competitions judged by supposedly professional photographers and the common citizens of facebook are THAT much of a difference. I believe all these arguments stem from unfairness. Like how the 'better' or whatever photos are not being chosen just because they received lesser votes than some other shitty photos. Unfair. How are the competitions judged by pro photographers in any way fairer than that? How would you ensure that certain type of photography, certain type of photos, certain type of composition would appeal more to a judge? You wouldn't know. How is this fair?

That being said, I see that another thing concerned with this whole issue is the people asking for votes. I don't deny that I have seen some really desperate buggers. I don't think that we should just push the blame to her or whoever. Indeed, such people could be 'scary' to us because we don't usually encounter these people. I believe that this is what the technology has done to us. Full-stop.

Of course, I must say that the above **** that I just typed is just my own honest opinion. I don't expect to please everyone with the comment I made above, it's just my own observation. I believe the time spent on whining about how certain competitions sucks could be spent on more meaningful things. The fact that I am spending my time in the forums probably mean that I needed my daily dosage of gossiping or technology. Perhaps that's also why this thread is being bumped up so many times. Ok bye.

Blog Entries

lets go back to the idea on facebook voting system and i'll break it down to u why it doesnt work, and why i am spending time here typing.

i'll break it down to a few points.

1) facebook voting can be rigged.

as mentioned before, we know we can kelong vote. we know we can get IC and rig the game. if those who know enough or have the manpower can rig the game, it would be an uneven playing field. why even bother to start with a "social circle" competition then? i see no purpose except perhaps for advertising.

2) quality control drops.

once we have some weird random snapshots winning, what does it say overall with regards to quality? lets assume a bad shot made it as a winner. how then would we ensure the level of quality/ technicality expected? its kinda like saying, if any tom dick harry can win a photo competition without effort or thought or time taken, then we all might as well be this kind of gwc.

for me, the aim of photography competitions is a platform for us to know where we might possibly stand in terms of ideas/technique with respect to others, while using the chance to learn from each other

we learn nothing from facebook style competitions.

while judging may be biased, the top few photos selected often are more outstanding than others. while there are ways to go around doing this, such as playing to judges tastes etc, it is less rigged in the sense i cant directly affect my votes.

and i'm saying this from experience. i know how to rig this kind of competitions. be it the most viewed page (just set up 20 computers and auto refresh with mozilla firefox from day 1), or most liked (collect IC and spam). point is it defeats the purpose of photography competitions. thats why i am not supportive of it.

my methods are more crude. i have seen even more refined methods taht has to do with packet editing.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 18th March 2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yu jianzhi View Post
    vote for you nice photos by the way
    ty bro ^^

i think going around begging for votes/ using social circle is equally dumb

for the last korean facebook ****? i got a friend who hounded on me on facebook when i didnt vote for her. apparently she keeps track of everyone and she constantly checks.

thats really what shocked me.
    Lol thats overboard

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    What's the conclusion here?

That those people who are desperate for fake online votes are biggest losers in the whole wide world and those people who do not rely on fake votes/take part in such competitions/do not have enough substance to take part are the greatest champions ever?

I do hope that there could be a conclusion to this thread soon.

It symbolizes something. I can sense a bag full of hurt in some people here. Just face it, there's this pettiness in some of us who just couldn't think and see like how the judges do, that those who won during such competitions are pure sell outs, don't know true meaning of photography, et cetera for another million virtues.

I wouldn't say competitions judged by supposedly professional photographers and the common citizens of facebook are THAT much of a difference. I believe all these arguments stem from unfairness. Like how the 'better' or whatever photos are not being chosen just because they received lesser votes than some other shitty photos. Unfair. How are the competitions judged by pro photographers in any way fairer than that? How would you ensure that certain type of photography, certain type of photos, certain type of composition would appeal more to a judge? You wouldn't know. How is this fair?

That being said, I see that another thing concerned with this whole issue is the people asking for votes. I don't deny that I have seen some really desperate buggers. I don't think that we should just push the blame to her or whoever. Indeed, such people could be 'scary' to us because we don't usually encounter these people. I believe that this is what the technology has done to us. Full-stop.

Of course, I must say that the above **** that I just typed is just my own honest opinion. I don't expect to please everyone with the comment I made above, it's just my own observation. I believe the time spent on whining about how certain competitions sucks could be spent on more meaningful things. The fact that I am spending my time in the forums probably mean that I needed my daily dosage of gossiping or technology. Perhaps that's also why this thread is being bumped up so many times. Ok bye.
    Well Said! Totally Agree with you!
    Only Good thing about CS Worth Watching is Kopitiam And B&S Section ... , no offence

lets go back to the idea on facebook voting system and i'll break it down to u why it doesnt work, and why i am spending time here typing.

i'll break it down to a few points.

1) facebook voting can be rigged.

as mentioned before, we know we can kelong vote. we know we can get IC and rig the game. if those who know enough or have the manpower can rig the game, it would be an uneven playing field. why even bother to start with a "social circle" competition then? i see no purpose except perhaps for advertising.

2) quality control drops.

once we have some weird random snapshots winning, what does it say overall with regards to quality? lets assume a bad shot made it as a winner. how then would we ensure the level of quality/ technicality expected? its kinda like saying, if any tom dick harry can win a photo competition without effort or thought or time taken, then we all might as well be this kind of gwc.

for me, the aim of photography competitions is a platform for us to know where we might possibly stand in terms of ideas/technique with respect to others, while using the chance to learn from each other

we learn nothing from facebook style competitions.

while judging may be biased, the top few photos selected often are more outstanding than others. while there are ways to go around doing this, such as playing to judges tastes etc, it is less rigged in the sense i cant directly affect my votes.

and i'm saying this from experience. i know how to rig this kind of competitions. be it the most viewed page (just set up 20 computers and auto refresh with mozilla firefox from day 1), or most liked (collect IC and spam). point is it defeats the purpose of photography competitions. thats why i am not supportive of it.

my methods are more crude. i have seen even more refined methods taht has to do with packet editing.
    Well Winners Are Totally Ridiculous in this Competitions

Competitions to me Is a way for Me To Improve my Style of Photography and Technics

Prizes are like EOS 7D USM Lenses Flash for?

I Don't Really get it why Canon Is Offering So Good Equipments to The Normal Student Who mostly Likes to show off camera and put it inside their Camera bag for Months and Months and take it out only during Special Events or Outing , Well The Schools in the competition are mostly Rigged by the School which Allen and tehzeh Mentioned the Methods are Common

What I believe is
    "We Trained to Have a Lighter Gear/More Mobility without compromised the Quality of Our Images "
    Last edited by yu jianzhi; 18th March 2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Mistakes
    Only Good thing about CS Worth Watching is Kopitiam And B&S Section ... , no offence

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123