Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FX travel lens

Default Re: FX travel lens

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Anyway, a good picture is not just all about sharpness. How many of your travel pictures end up in a 20" print? An 18-200VR is more than sharp enough for a 4R print. The only reason I would carry a faster lens would be because it would allow me to shoot in poorer lighting conditions.

And yes, always handcarry all your photographic gears.
    I agree with bro lsisaxon, if you aren't printing big then you can go a bit loose on the sharpness aspect. I used to own a 18-200mm VR and its a very capable lens where the VRII shines during low light situations.

Quote Originally Posted by poorgirl
    The reason for contemplating an upgrade to FX is the sharpness of the pictures in the 70-200mm range (on my friends d3 attached to 70-200mm vr). Top of the line stuff no doubt but I wonder how much of the sharpness is atttributrd to the lens and how much to the body?
    Camera only plays a small part in getting good sharpness, lens and technique are more crucial. Learn to shoot using the aperture sweet spot and you'd realise that you can get a lot more sharper photos than shooting wide open all time.

Anyways, if you're looking for a FX lens with that kinda zoom range, it would be unfair to compare it against a shot made with the 70-200 f/2.8. An equivalent substitute for the 18-200 range on a FX would be the 28-300mm VR.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 20th January 2011 at 09:45 AM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Umeiko View Post

If I am travelling nearby or places I frequent, I will just bring my D7000 with 14-24, 70-200 and Fish-Eye 16mm or maybe just D7000 with 50mm.

It's a different mix and match every trip. Isn't it fun?
    u going for work or leisure

To have a sharp lens without switching is possible if you can live with one zoom lens, i.e. 24-70 or 70-200.

After using 24-70 and 70-200 myself, I am reluctant to use those super zoom lens or lens that are less sharp. It's like once you are spoilt with good things, you would only want something better. This may not necessarily be a good thing because we can get too indulgence sometimes.

If I am travelling far or places I am new to, I will carry 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, Fish-Eye 16mm and 50mm together with D3 and possibly a 2nd body. Once I reach the place, I will only choose specific lenses to bring out, depending on what I am visiting. The other lenses will rest in the hotel safe.

If I am travelling nearby or places I frequent, I will just bring my D7000 with 14-24, 70-200 and Fish-Eye 16mm or maybe just D7000 with 50mm.

It's a different mix and match every trip. Isn't it fun?
    On the contrary, I think its miserable having to carry so much gear while on vacation. Normally I bring along just 2 prime lens while on vacation, a 35 or 50mm and a wider 24mm.
    Mine full name-Betta Macrostoma
    Can call me Betta.

Ha ha, over the years, the bag gets heavier. So can get used to it. Not forgetting my large Deuter back pack.

14-24 is too wide for me on FX. In term of focal length, 14-24 is quite similar to my favourite DX lens 12-24, which I already sold some years back. It's just personal preference.
    @Umeiko: I also have a large Deuter back back but upgraded to a Think Tank Airport Antidote v2.0 it is a good carry-on bag I feel..

I just got a Nikon 12-24 UWA and I'm completely loving it

@Poolgirl: For me If I go FX (I am using a D300s at the moment), I would choose a 14-24 and 70-200 combo for most of my shots as I do take lots of landscape while travelling and 70-200 has good reach as well as can do a bit of portrait @70mm, I'll bring a 50mm f1.8 just in case its needed for low light (mostly indoors @night) or very dark places (e.g. caves or what nots)

my last travel set up to Tasmania for my DX body are: Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 + Nikon 70-300G and a Nikon 35mm f/2

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    IMHO, the sharpness of picture would depend on:
    - shooting skills: 60%
    - lens: 20%
    - body: 20%

As you have owned 70-300mm tele-lens, just add the 24-70mm f/2.8 and you will have a FX travel lens
    (24-70 f/2.8 + 70-300 combo)
    I suppose when you're using a tele-lens, subject could be far enough that you cannot use flash.

So, sharpness and pic quality depends on the lighting condition as well. If you have poor lighting, results might not be ideal.

And I would like to quote KRW:

Image sharpness depends more on you than your lens.

Lens sharpness doesn't mean much to good photographers.
    Last edited by La Fontaine; 22nd January 2011 at 11:39 PM.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by vaxvms View Post
    u going for work or leisure
    Mostly for leisure. If it's for work, I will only carry the compact panasonic lx-3.
    D3 D800 RX-1 X100 E-M5 My flickr

Post Re: FX travel lens

Quote Originally Posted by Tanlih View Post
    @Umeiko: I also have a large Deuter back back but upgraded to a Think Tank Airport Antidote v2.0 it is a good carry-on bag I feel..

I just got a Nikon 12-24 UWA and I'm completely loving it

@Poolgirl: For me If I go FX (I am using a D300s at the moment), I would choose a 14-24 and 70-200 combo for most of my shots as I do take lots of landscape while travelling and 70-200 has good reach as well as can do a bit of portrait @70mm, I'll bring a 50mm f1.8 just in case its needed for low light (mostly indoors @night) or very dark places (e.g. caves or what nots)

my last travel set up to Tasmania for my DX body are: Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 + Nikon 70-300G and a Nikon 35mm f/2
    My Deuter is for my clothes and tripod and I will check-in the backpack. I use 7 or 8 million dollar home for my gears.
    The 12-24 is a very versatile lens on DX for traveling.

Enjoy!
    D3 D800 RX-1 X100 E-M5 My flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123