Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Green bananas

  1. #1

    Default Green bananas

    Hi,
    If you've done shopping at NTUC, you'll realise the Del Monte bananas they hang are all green. Interestingly, after buying it, they turn yellow in less than 6-8 hours. My question is, if these bananas turn yellow so fast, then what happens to the unsold bananas? After all, when I buy them, its already close to closing time and yet the section is hanging full of bananas. Won't they all turn yellow the next morning, like those that I bought? If so, do they just cheap sale it away or return to the wholesaler, since I don't see NTUC selling yellow bananas.

  2. #2

    Default

    they give em pajamas and they walk around terrorizing naughty teddies in the toy section...

    quite frankly i have no idea. but i've seen yellow ones on sale.

    and real nasty ones, usually expired, are sold to worms bent on world domination...

  3. #3

    Lightbulb

    u shld go to ntuc early the next morning to verify whether ntuc really transfer the "turned yellow" bananas and label them as yellow bananas for sale

  4. #4

    Default

    perhaps they are refrigerated to slow the process down?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeocolin
    Hi,
    If you've done shopping at NTUC, you'll realise the Del Monte bananas they hang are all green. Interestingly, after buying it, they turn yellow in less than 6-8 hours. My question is, if these bananas turn yellow so fast, then what happens to the unsold bananas? After all, when I buy them, its already close to closing time and yet the section is hanging full of bananas. Won't they all turn yellow the next morning, like those that I bought? If so, do they just cheap sale it away or return to the wholesaler, since I don't see NTUC selling yellow bananas.

    Banana ripes due to warm temperature/heat. I guess your house must be quite warm to ripen the banana...

    I have seen yellow ones. Over ripe ones are discarded or sent to the zoo.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Ripening is a process in fruit that causes them to become more edible. In general, fruits get sweeter, less acidic, less green and softer as they ripen.

    An important plant hormone involved with ripening is the chemical ethylene. Ethylene is a gas created by plants from the amino acid methionine, and can easily be created synthetically. Ethylene causes increased levels of certain enzymes in the fruit. These enzymes include:

    amylase, which breaks down starch to produce simple sugars.
    pectinase breaks down pectin, the substance that keeps fruit hard.
    Many fruits are picked prior to full ripening, because ripened fruits do not ship well. For example bananas are picked green, and then gassed with ethylene after shipment, so they can be artificially ripened. It is also possible to speed ripening at home. For example, kiwifruit are often is slow to finish ripening, and ripening can be hastened by placing the fruit in a bag with an apple, which gives off natural ethylene gas.

    Ethylene gas can also cause damage. If apples are stored with pototoes that have not been treated to prevent sprouting, the gas given off by the apples will cause the potatoes to sprout wildly.

    Other enzymes break down the green pigment chlorophyll, which is replaced by other coloured pigments such as blue, yellow or red.
    Last edited by zekai; 14th July 2004 at 03:24 AM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moos blues
    they give em pajamas and they walk around terrorizing naughty teddies in the toy section...

    quite frankly i have no idea. but i've seen yellow ones on sale.

    and real nasty ones, usually expired, are sold to worms bent on world domination...
    OT, but haha... but give me a Holy Hand Grenade anytime. Can you say Hallelujah?

  8. #8
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    509

    Default

    zekai, very interesting - thanks for your post. Do you think they treat the bananas with a short acting ethylene antagonist or are the bananas given a dose of ethylene shortly before going on sale?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Clubsnap is an amazing place.

    (i shall go to NTUC and place a few apples under some of the green bananas...)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    If apples are stored with pototoes that have not been treated to prevent sprouting, the gas given off by the apples will cause the potatoes to sprout wildly.
    Hmmmmm... That will be interesting to see.

    I prefer dairy products anyway... Give me a Mad Cow or a Flying Sheep
    any day.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    zekai, very interesting - thanks for your post. Do you think they treat the bananas with a short acting ethylene antagonist or are the bananas given a dose of ethylene shortly before going on sale?
    I have no idea man, which type is use

    My recollection is once the fruit is separated from the plant the process is accelerated. (Forgotten a lot of my A level Biology)

  12. #12
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    so...... i should put green bananas under my armpit....
    and 5 mins later..... *ting* .... i have a RIPE banana!

    But seriously, the temperature does play a part in ripening the banana...

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    I have no idea man, which type is use

    My recollection is once the fruit is separated from the plant the process is accelerated. (Forgotten a lot of my A level Biology)
    Thanks for sharing! Clubsnap is indeed a wonderful place, with specialists in different fields snapping pictures together.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sinagpore
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Since fruit is the topic here, does anyone know if the brown coconut and the green ones are of the same species? The brown colored one seemed to me to be like a different species but my friends told me the brown one are the 'unripen' state and the green one the 'ripen' coconut?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisLee
    Since fruit is the topic here, does anyone know if the brown coconut and the green ones are of the same species? The brown colored one seemed to me to be like a different species but my friends told me the brown one are the 'unripen' state and the green one the 'ripen' coconut?

    Brown one is the one that drop off..... so they are the "old bird" coconut.... in term of "ripeness" (not sure if people refer to coconut as ripe?) the brown one is more ripe than the green one.

    The green ones are new coconut which we buy to drink the water inside. Dun eat too much of the flesh though... there is a mild laxative property.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sinagpore
    Posts
    72

    Default

    The brown one actually are still on the tree, and what i noticed is that all coconut are brown in color on the same tree. I drank the water before it is carbonated and the shell is harder. So it keep me wondering....

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisLee
    The brown one actually are still on the tree, and what i noticed is that all coconut are brown in color on the same tree. I drank the water before it is carbonated and the shell is harder. So it keep me wondering....
    dear dennis, you must remove the brown husk to see the coconut inside... LOLz


    Those that we drink from are all plucked not fallen. Those that dropped naturally noramally are the old ones...
    Last edited by zekai; 14th July 2004 at 12:50 PM.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sinagpore
    Posts
    72

    Default

    No, the one that i drank, is brown in color, is still on the tree. It is carbonated. The green ones u also pluck from the tree is not carbonated. The brown color one, has big coconut, and small coconut, all of the same color.

  19. #19

    Exclamation

    zek suddenly become scientific leh

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    clive: you got a problem?

    dennis: you really should not be drinking from an old coconut...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •