Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 166

Thread: Newbies need help right?

  1. #61

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I just went down to check the 7-11 store clerk tell me they have less than $50 after dark and that they have no AA rechargeable, no charger... But got AA alkaline.
    WHOA. need to complain to the 7-11 management. they aren't stocking the right stuff!

    come to think of it there's Holland V's and Farrer Road's Cold Storages that are 24/7 operations. perhaps you can direct your complaints there

    also... i think they have more than $50 after dark

  2. #62

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    i especially hate the favorite LMGTFY i dont see the point of this... whats the end goal here? how is it supposed to help? its a plain and simple sarcastic and condescending comment designed to give the bully the buzz he gets when he puts people down...
    See it as this way... Knowledge == Wealth.

    There are people who work for their wealth, and there are people who just wait for a windfall or "begs" for donations and handouts.

    Same with knowledge, people dun mind helping those whom work for it. But if that person simply can't lift his/her fingers (literally) occasionally there might be donors and well wishers, but mostly they will be ignored... only once in a while kenna complaints.

    While I do not condone slamming, I'm really against those that (regardless of their actual age) act like a baby, sit there mouth open wide wide and expected to be spoon-fed as if everyone is duty bound to feed them.

    PS. It's not only Google, some don't even bother to read the stickies threads right in this forum.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Newbies often get slammed because they expect to be spoon fed. There are many resources that they can use to look for answers like
    1) Google
    2) Wikipedia
    3) Clubsnap Forum Search
    Asking without first checking is good invitation for some slamming.
    Apart from being spoon fed, some newbies are slammed because they are stubborn. They ask a question and those that know their stuff would reply with a good answer, however the newbie refuses to listen. This is another gold laced invitation card for slamming.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 14th January 2011 at 02:06 AM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  4. #64
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    FYI,
    Youtube also a lot of information available within a few clicks, you can find many video tutorials of photoshop, lightroom, photography technique, lighting technique, from how to load film to how to changes lenses.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #65

    Default

    While the seniors should be more tolerant for newcomers who post up another widely-discussed-before topic, I think it is ok for the less-tolerant old birds to bobx3 little kukus who ask the same qn despite the and is just a couple of post# away. See, they spent the effort to search threads, click into the link, and post the same questions without reading it. Blur wor...

  6. #66

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    FYI,
    Youtube also a lot of information available within a few clicks, you can find many video tutorials of photoshop, lightroom, photography technique, lighting technique, from how to load film to how to changes lenses.
    Not everyone thinks of those straight away when they need information. Some of us here automatically think to search up Google and Youtube when they need something and take it for granted that everyone is like us and should do the same. That is not the case, and I think it's the main issue here.

  7. #67

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Almost every information about photography and gears can be found via Google, including the reviews, user experience, gear specs, etc. Yes, really everything. So what's the point of the "Newbie Corner", "Equipment Discussion", "General Tech Talk", etc in Clubsnap? What other things can be discussed here as all information can be found in Google? Critique? There are better websites like 1X.com which have very passion and dedicated people in giving critiques professionally.
    So whenever a newbie ask a question, we can screw him/her by saying "Please go google yourself. No spoon feed.". It's really a bad culture. The "passion in sharing and teaching" is not easily found in everyone.
    For me, Clubsnap should be a platform for sharing our experience, knowledge, skills and funs about photography rather than a screwing people platform. I believe many people here don't have a professional photography certificate. So what make you think of you can screw people by behaving like a professor, teacher or godfather? We are just hobbyists and come here to meet friends who like the same hobby and learn together. Isn't it?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  8. #68

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Not everyone thinks of those straight away when they need information. Some of us here automatically think to search up Google and Youtube when they need something and take it for granted that everyone is like us and should do the same. That is not the case, and I think it's the main issue here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Almost every information about photography and gears can be found via Google, including the reviews, user experience, gear specs, etc. Yes, really everything. So what's the point of the "Newbie Corner", "Equipment Discussion", "General Tech Talk", etc in Clubsnap? What other things can be discussed here as all information can be found in Google? Critique? There are better websites like 1X.com which have very passion and dedicated people in giving critiques professionally.
    So whenever a newbie ask a question, we can screw him/her by saying "Please go google yourself. No spoon feed.". It's really a bad culture. The "passion in sharing and teaching" is not easily found in everyone.
    For me, Clubsnap should be a platform for sharing our experience, knowledge, skills and funs about photography rather than a screwing people platform. I believe many people here don't have a professional photography certificate. So what make you think of you can screw people by behaving like a professor, teacher or godfather? We are just hobbyists and come here to meet friends who like the same hobby and learn together. Isn't it?
    Pls then, do volunteer your knowledge and share...

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833026

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832918

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=1

    ... instead of complaining newbies getting slammed.
    Last edited by CYRN; 14th January 2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Almost every information about photography and gears can be found via Google, including the reviews, user experience, gear specs, etc. Yes, really everything. So what's the point of the "Newbie Corner", "Equipment Discussion", "General Tech Talk", etc in Clubsnap? What other things can be discussed here as all information can be found in Google? Critique? There are better websites like 1X.com which have very passion and dedicated people in giving critiques professionally.
    So whenever a newbie ask a question, we can screw him/her by saying "Please go google yourself. No spoon feed.". It's really a bad culture. The "passion in sharing and teaching" is not easily found in everyone.
    For me, Clubsnap should be a platform for sharing our experience, knowledge, skills and funs about photography rather than a screwing people platform. I believe many people here don't have a professional photography certificate. So what make you think of you can screw people by behaving like a professor, teacher or godfather? We are just hobbyists and come here to meet friends who like the same hobby and learn together. Isn't it?
    D3100

  10. #70
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Newbies corner - The best place for those new to photography and ClubSNAP.

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    the point im trying to make here is very simple....

    if you dont like the question simply ignore.. nobody is forcing you to answer the question no need for sarcastic and condescending comments

    now guys if you want to justify your actions by saying some newbies are like this and like that.... we dont want to spoon feed blah blah.... and they deserve it imo something is probably wrong with the way you were raised that you could justify plain and simple Meanness

    anyway go ahead whatever makes you guys sleep better at night...
    Last edited by wasak2000; 14th January 2011 at 11:23 AM.
    D3100

  12. #72
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."



    .
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #73

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    the point im trying to make here is very simple....

    if you dont like the question simply ignore.. nobody is forcing you to answer the question no need for sarcastic and condescending comments

    now guys if you want to justify your actions by saying some newbies are like this and like that.... we dont want to spoon feed blah blah.... go ahead whatever makes you sleep better at night
    ummm.. Like to clarify so that we have common understanding...

    does LMGTFY = sarcastic and condescending comments for you?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  14. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    ummm.. Like to clarify so that we have common understanding...

    does LMGTFY = sarcastic and condescending comments for you?
    of course it is..

    in a forum such as this i dont see the need for it... you could just simply ignore... you are basically implying that the TS is so stupid that he could not even think of googling it... again i go back to my point that nobody is forcing you to answer the question...
    Last edited by wasak2000; 14th January 2011 at 11:35 AM.
    D3100

  15. #75

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    One thing we have to realize is that we don't live in a perfect world.
    Some of us do have problems in family which makes us psychologically unfit. So what
    We just have to accept that there are people like that. I'm not saying that it is right, it is wrong, but that's just the way it is.
    Like someone have said before, if you don't like the comment then just ignore it.


    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    the point im trying to make here is very simple....

    if you dont like the question simply ignore.. nobody is forcing you to answer the question no need for sarcastic and condescending comments

    now guys if you want to justify your actions by saying some newbies are like this and like that.... we dont want to spoon feed blah blah.... and they deserve it imo something is probably wrong with the way you were raised that you could justify plain and simple Meanness

    anyway go ahead whatever makes you guys sleep better at night...

  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    here is an example of what happens around here


    newbie ask question :

    Hi guys, had been wondering where to take nice nature photo? as in any place near AMK? . thanks for the suggestion


    senior reply :

    You could take map.. all green areas are suspected to have a higher amount of vegetation, which usually creates landscapes


    no offense to the senior who posted the reply im sure you are a nice guy and from what i see from your previous post very helpful but seriously there was no need for this sarcasm right?

    all im asking for is to reduce the meanness is that too much to ask?
    D3100

  17. #77

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    of course it is..

    in a forum such as this i dont see the need for it... you could just simply ignore... you are basically implying that the TS is so stupid that he could not even think of googling it... again i go back to my point that nobody is forcing you to answer the question...
    OIC. ok, at least I get to understand your POV. Agree to not demeaning the TS, but sometimes, one can't help but be amused too, right?

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...29&postcount=1


    anyway, checked some history, seems that the below was the cause of you starting this thread.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...76&postcount=1

    IMHO, the question could be phrased more clearer, don't you agree?

    peace.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Newbies often get slammed because they expect to be spoon fed. There are many resources that they can use to look for answers like
    1) Google
    2) Wikipedia
    3) Clubsnap Forum Search
    Asking without first checking is good invitation for some slamming.
    Apart from being spoon fed, some newbies are slammed because they are stubborn. They ask a question and those that know their stuff would reply with a good answer, however the newbie refuses to listen. This is another gold laced invitation card for slamming.
    Cannot agree more and say it better.

    The thing is, to get better in takingpictures, spoonfeeding is the least effective method.

    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    the point im trying to make here is very simple....

    if you dont like the question simply ignore.. nobody is forcing you to answer the question no need for sarcastic and condescending comments

    now guys if you want to justify your actions by saying some newbies are like this and like that.... we dont want to spoon feed blah blah.... and they deserve it imo something is probably wrong with the way you were raised that you could justify plain and simple Meanness

    anyway go ahead whatever makes you guys sleep better at night...

    Then the forum will be a very quiet place. turning the table, if you do not like the answer from a senior to a newbie, simply ignore it.


    Quote Originally Posted by wasak2000 View Post
    here is an example of what happens around here


    newbie ask question :

    Hi guys, had been wondering where to take nice nature photo? as in any place near AMK? . thanks for the suggestion


    senior reply :

    You could take map.. all green areas are suspected to have a higher amount of vegetation, which usually creates landscapes


    no offense to the senior who posted the reply im sure you are a nice guy and from what i see from your previous post very helpful but seriously there was no need for this sarcasm right?

    all im asking for is to reduce the meanness is that too much to ask?
    Another demand to be spoon fed. Why not jsut go down to AMK, look around, and shoot some. What is the rationale behaind asking others what to shoot?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  19. #79

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    TS, it's part of growing up here ...... most SM grew from being a newbie once.

    Newbies - ask stupid questions .... kanna screvved big time by SM

    Oldies - ask not-so-stupid questions .... kanna screvved small time by SM

    Senior - don't ask questions .... screvved hard on those stupid questions, and not so hard on not-so-stupid questions members

    Mods - they are known as Mods not for anything else ...

    You should watch one of those Jacky Chan kung fu movies ...
    Last edited by Canonised; 14th January 2011 at 01:20 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Newbies need help right?

    I think one has to understand that being in a community, there are many different people with different personalities around, and that 'nasty' comments are usually taken note of. Flexibility is the key

    Being 'us' as human, we don't like to do things we don't like (I mean obviously), and to some, they don't like to teach newbie directly (spoonfeeding), rather go by the 'hard' way of asking them to learn themselves. But hey, it's part and parcel of learning isn't it

    To conclude: There are many many different people around here. Not necessary the one who gave you the harshest comment are the lousiest. Frankly, it's much better if you get a reply, then you didn't. Of course, providing the comment makes sense.

    I find this comment harsh, but at least it teaches you something: "Why don't you go read up on blah blah blah, rather than waiting us to spoonfeed you?"

    And I find this comment equally stupid and harsh "Why don't you go do your homework?". If newbie knows what's the meaning of homework that is ...

    Btw, being here for quite some times, I realised that recently, there's been a surge of the number of newbies, and best of all, repeated questions and can-be-found-just-by-using-google... What can we do?
    1) Ignore them
    2) Answer their question to our pleasure [pleasure to some means harsh I think XD Reminds me of SM (as in S.M you got it?)]
    3) Sticky a note to ask newbie to read? [usually they don't]
    Last edited by PaulKami; 14th January 2011 at 01:25 PM.
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •