Thread: Simple tripod weight capacity question

Default Simple tripod weight capacity question

Hi all.

If I had a travel tripod with rated 15kg max load capacity and a ballhead rated at 20kg, can this easily hold a DSLR with a 400mm F/2.8 - 4kg lens?

I'm guessing the rated max load is much higher that what's comfortable in the real-world.

Ok thanks!

Default Re: Simple tripod weight capacity question

Quote Originally Posted by enewmen View Post
    Hi all.

If I had a travel tripod with rated 15kg max load capacity and a ballhead rated at 20kg, can this easily hold a DSLR with a 400mm F/2.8 - 4kg lens?

I'm guessing the rated max load is much higher that what's comfortable in the real-world.

Ok thanks!
    "hold" is one thing, but with a 400mm lens, you might also be concerned about ballhead creeping.
    That is, you don't really want the composition to shift after you lock down the ballhead, do you?

As to rated weights, just take note that there isn't any accredited organization that verifies such claims. I can just as easily claim that my DIY ballhead (assuming I made such a thing) can hold 50kg.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    "hold" is one thing, but with a 400mm lens, you might also be concerned about ballhead creeping.
    That is, you don't really want the composition to shift after you lock down the ballhead, do you?

As to rated weights, just take note that there isn't any accredited organization that verifies such claims. I can just as easily claim that my DIY ballhead (assuming I made such a thing) can hold 50kg.

You are right. First it must be able to hold the weight with some
    safety factor. Then the ball head must be precise and can be locked
    where you want it without shifting. This will depend on the design
    and locking mechanism of the ball head

Abdullah | www.PictureU.biz | Instant Photography for Events |

Hi.

Thanks for the comments!
    From reading the posts, it seems a 15kg mount and 20kg ballhead is roughly the limit of what can hold a 400mm lens.
    If creep becomes a problem, I may need a gimbal head.

so in summary it's one thing to read specs, and another thing altogether to go down to the shop and try out the ballhead with your heaviest setup

Hi.

Thanks for the comments!
    From reading the posts, it seems a 15kg mount and 20kg ballhead is roughly the limit of what can hold a 400mm lens.
    If creep becomes a problem, I may need a gimbal head.
    gimbal head is a different animal leh...

It's designed to balance your set-up near the center of gravity, so that you can track (with decent accuracy) quick-moving subjects (eg bird in flight, etc).
    I suppose with 400mm lens you ARE into birding
    then perhaps gimbal is the way to go

From what i know, the rated weight capacity of ball head rated is based on perfect level situation. if tilted such as at 45deg, the weight capacity is 1/3 of the stated weight.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    From what i know, the rated weight capacity of ball head rated is based on perfect level situation. if tilted such as at 45deg, the weight capacity is 1/3 of the stated weight.
    Interesting fact Did you do the calculation yourself with simple physics or ? Because i too am concerned with such issues.

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    Interesting fact Did you do the calculation yourself with simple physics or ? Because i too am concerned with such issues.
    Cant remember where i heard this. either CP of TK foto.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    i read this somewhere before...mmm.. cant rmb from where!
    Playing with M43.

Hi all.

Ok thanks!
    It depends. Certain brands like to give a less conservative rating, certain brands are more kiasu and give a more conservative rating.

This may be overgeneralisation, but China brands tend to do the former, particularly the less well-known brands. That said, a lot of China brands are good, e.g. Sirui, Benro.