Thread: Step down rings for filters

Default Step down rings for filters

I intend to purchase a lens that has a filter diameter of 77mm later, and I have a few lens with 55mm filter diameter. I plan to buy a CPL with 77mm in diameter and some step down rings, so that I can use the same CPL on my 55mm diameter lens too. But since there isn't a 77mm to 55mm step down ring, I have to use 5 step down rings (77mm-72mm, 72mm-67mm, 67mm-62mm, 62mm-58mm and 58mm-55mm Step-down ring). Will this impact the performance of the B+W CPL Slim? Has anyone done this before?

Sorry for the noob question.

Default Re: Step down rings for filters

You're looking for for STEP-UP (NOT STEP DOWN) rings to mount 77mm filter onto to your 55mm lenses. Check Mass Sales. There are sellers that sell 55>77mm step-up ring

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    You're looking for for STEP-UP (NOT STEP DOWN) rings to mount 77mm filter onto to your 55mm lenses. Check Mass Sales. There are sellers that sell 55>77mm step-up ring
    Thanks, but what's the diff between STEP-UP and STEP-DOWN?

STEP UP = ring on 55mm lens to 77mm filter
    STEP DOWN = ring on 77mm lens to 55mm filter

You're looking for STEP-UP rings to mount 77mm filter to 55mm lens. Check Mass Sales

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    STEP UP = ring on 55mm lens to 77mm filter
    STEP DOWN = ring on 77mm lens to 55mm filter

You're looking for STEP-UP rings to mount 77mm filter to 55mm lens. Check Mass Sales
    I see, thanks for the info. Luckily I ask before I buy. But do you think I can use a few rings to achieve the same mounting that I need and don't impact the photos or introduce problems to my shots?

Quote Originally Posted by digi-me View Post
    I see, thanks for the info. Luckily I ask before I buy. But do you think I can use a few rings to achieve the same mounting that I need and don't impact the photos or introduce problems to my shots?
    You can, but the key is structural integrity. do you want a big mass of rings between the lens and filter? Ask yourself that.

Also bear in mind that the use of step up rings would prevent the mounting of a hood.

Thank you all, great to have so many comments and opinions.

by using multiple step-up and down rings, u are increasing the chance of vignetting. your step down ring might be blocking the necessary light that is needed to create the picture of the correct size.

There is no need to buy so many step up rings. just get the 55mm>77mm. cheap and simple. I'm sure CS mass sale has it. i got one for my beercan and minolta lens.