Thread: First attempt for product shoot.

Default First attempt for product shoot.

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?

- Hi Guys, i would like some critique and comments regarding the composition and lighting of this particular subject. I also would like to know what you guys feel about the depth of field shown in this picture. Usually product shoots require a small aperture but i seem to find a large aperture looks better here.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?

- Well, i was joining my friend for a impromptu product shoot for pictures to use for his catalogue. I personally feel that a slightly abstract view of the vegetables would interest the consumer more compared to the stock photos that is typically seen everywhere.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken?

- Hmm, okay.. this was quite a basic setup with a large sheet of paper acting as the backdrop with 2 fluorescent strobes at both subject left and right. was hoping to make the lighting soft and even. i also took this picture with my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. don't know if it will be better if let's say i have used a dedicated macro lens.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.

- Well, i feel that this was my best shot taken that day. the rest was kinda so-so. but i'm not sure if i want to be putting this up on a catalogue for consumer's viewing. so i'd really appreciate any C&Cs i can get here. so thanks in advanced guys!

Default Re: First attempt for product shoot.

ok. i've never done a product shoot before but... in terms of aesthetics:

the background blur's pretty distracting at the top right-hand corner. it's pretty harsh and messy. so my eyes were drawn to that.. also.. the bean sprouts are very messily put together. looks like a piece of crumpled paper. maybe using the old way, small wooden bucket with the veggies inside would look nicer and neater

I am in no way an expert but what exactly are you trying to portray about the product in this case? Honestly looks just like a snapshot. The brown and dried-out parts don't exactly contribute to its appealing-ness here as well.

re-shoot!
    Why so serious... Son?

hey guys, thanks for the replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    ok. i've never done a product shoot before but... in terms of aesthetics:

the background blur's pretty distracting at the top right-hand corner. it's pretty harsh and messy. so my eyes were drawn to that.. also.. the bean sprouts are very messily put together. looks like a piece of crumpled paper. maybe using the old way, small wooden bucket with the veggies inside would look nicer and neater
    hey kei, haha.. i've also never done a product shoot before.. especially for vegetables! i agree with the blur at the top right corner, it's quite distracting huh? hmm.. regarding the arrangement of the sprouts, it's quite difficult to arrange them neatly i feel. as for the wooden bucket suggestion, you mean like shooting straight down on the sprouts inside it? interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    I am in no way an expert but what exactly are you trying to portray about the product in this case? Honestly looks just like a snapshot. The brown and dried-out parts don't exactly contribute to its appealing-ness here as well.
    hahaha, actually i have no idea what i'm trying to portray in this shot. i was maybe thinking if the consumers know what type of vegetable they're looking at when they see the picture, it has done it's job. haha, yeah.. the brown and dried-out parts. should've removed it before snapping the picture. lol. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wurdelak View Post
    re-shoot!
    haha, !

Quite interesting to me, i seldom see people post pic of raw food here. I have mixed opinions. The bad people have mentioned. I guess shooting raw food might be different from say accessories. You might be trying to showcase bean sprouts in 'natural' form. Reminds me of the scene i see when my mum wants to cook. Perhaps you can try to add some creativity in it. E.g place them in some cooking utensils like those stone 'pounder' etc. Looking forward to a new creative bean sprout shots..

the bokeh effect in background is nice but not so nice in the foreground where some of the towgay are blurred and that kills the shadow. can experiment with using tomatoes or watermelon as background.

overall problem is depth of field. not sure... 35mm prime lens? or you using closer then 35mm?

set up for lighting is for high contrast.
    Last edited by mitsucolt; 14th January 2011 at 11:53 AM.

-lighting was good
    -DOF was too thin
    -its still life, not product

Hmm... I also not into those food photography thingy...

But what i may give you is my 10c.

The composition for this picture you were sharing is kinda wrong(to me)

If you are really sincere to your sell your product, beansprout, you should put in your full effort by cutting away the root and remove withered bean sprout too.

You should shoot from a higher point of view... Not too low.

Place a glass bowl full of beansprout at the background and a handful of beansprout at the foreground. Put your aperture around 6-8 to make the bowl of beansprout 'semi visible' to people.

Cheers and keep shooting.
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Quite interesting to me, i seldom see people post pic of raw food here. I have mixed opinions. The bad people have mentioned. I guess shooting raw food might be different from say accessories. You might be trying to showcase bean sprouts in 'natural' form. Reminds me of the scene i see when my mum wants to cook. Perhaps you can try to add some creativity in it. E.g place them in some cooking utensils like those stone 'pounder' etc. Looking forward to a new creative bean sprout shots..
    hey gundamseed, thanks for your comments! i was arranging this shot in a way that there is a trail of sprouts leading to the bigger bunch at the back. you might be right in the use of props to make the shot more interesting but i don't think it works in this case as i was just trying to potray the sprouts as it is. might try the one with props the next time i get though!

Quote Originally Posted by mitsucolt View Post
    the bokeh effect in background is nice but not so nice in the foreground where some of the towgay are blurred and that kills the shadow. can experiment with using tomatoes or watermelon as background.

overall problem is depth of field. not sure... 35mm prime lens? or you using closer then 35mm?

set up for lighting is for high contrast.
    ah, i see.. i should have really taken note of the blur in the foreground.. noted. thanks! i was using my tammy 28-75mm fully racked out to 75mm for this shot.

Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    -lighting was good
    -DOF was too thin
    -its still life, not product
    thanks for the comments mariano! i'm surprised that quite a simple lighting setup such as the one i have used can produce this results!

regarding the DOF, i was shooting at f/6.3.. turned out that it wasn't small enough i guess.

my bad for the wrong choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by xxdoggyxx View Post
    Hmm... I also not into those food photography thingy...

But what i may give you is my 10c.

The composition for this picture you were sharing is kinda wrong(to me)

If you are really sincere to your sell your product, beansprout, you should put in your full effort by cutting away the root and remove withered bean sprout too.

You should shoot from a higher point of view... Not too low.

Place a glass bowl full of beansprout at the background and a handful of beansprout at the foreground. Put your aperture around 6-8 to make the bowl of beansprout 'semi visible' to people.

Cheers and keep shooting.
    ooh doggy, no problem! the composition was kinda wrong eh? haha.. i see i see.. and yeah i agreed in the previous post that i should have removed the dried out withered parts of the sprouts before shooting it. ooh.. the bowl idea seems feasible.. instead of just a bunch of randomly placed sprouts eh?

anyway guys.. any further suggestions for improvement of shots like this? the kind of vegetables my friend will be shooting range from bittergourds, brinjals, lady fingers, etc etc.. you know the stuff. will a colored background such as black, brown, etc.. work?

keep the comments coming guys! thanks again!

i'm not sure if i can post it here.. but this is a different shot i took of another vegetable. just to give you guys an idea of what kind of vegetables i've shot.

-mods: sorry in advanced if i'm not able to post another picture here.

this one looks more artistic.. and cute!

however, i can't tell what kinda veg it is because the entirety of it...is a blur >.<

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjayy View Post
    hey gundamseed, thanks for your comments! i was arranging this shot in a way that there is a trail of sprouts leading to the bigger bunch at the back. you might be right in the use of props to make the shot more interesting but i don't think it works in this case as i was just trying to potray the sprouts as it is. might try the one with props the next time i get though!

ah, i see.. i should have really taken note of the blur in the foreground.. noted. thanks! i was using my tammy 28-75mm fully racked out to 75mm for this shot.

thanks for the comments mariano! i'm surprised that quite a simple lighting setup such as the one i have used can produce this results!

regarding the DOF, i was shooting at f/6.3.. turned out that it wasn't small enough i guess.

my bad for the wrong choice of words.

ooh doggy, no problem! the composition was kinda wrong eh? haha.. i see i see.. and yeah i agreed in the previous post that i should have removed the dried out withered parts of the sprouts before shooting it. ooh.. the bowl idea seems feasible.. instead of just a bunch of randomly placed sprouts eh?

anyway guys.. any further suggestions for improvement of shots like this? the kind of vegetables my friend will be shooting range from bittergourds, brinjals, lady fingers, etc etc.. you know the stuff. will a colored background such as black, brown, etc.. work?

keep the comments coming guys! thanks again!
    I ransack my fridge and only have some 'xiao bai cai' and some carrot... tried my best to shoot the correct way... it might be wrong but i hope its improved...

Please ignore the background... I haven't got a proper whitescreen...

Cheers
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

Carrot: maybe you can cut short it and close up on the slices. Can arrange the slices in foreground, the big chunk at the background
    Vege: I prefer the 2nd pic's composition. Perhaps the front vege you can just show a slice of it instead of the whole chunk?

Just some worthless opinions

Additional comments: maybe spray some water? Makes the vege look 'fresh'.

No white screen no problem...usually I will just go to cloth shop and buy cheap white cloth. Can be reused after washing. Cloth aren't expensive and you can get various colours too.

Lighting...I will use some cheap torch lights, can consider LEDs from daiso get a couple of them as a starter.
    The pictures are kinda underexposed from my com.

Anyway your tries gives me the inspiration to try out raw food shots too. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

the first pic, is it bean sprouts? why like so thin, malnourished!

Hey, it's not beansprouts.. If I remember correctly, my friend told me it was broccoli sprouts.. That's why it looks different from the normal beansprouts we see out there..

Yes its brocolli sprouts, i think your shot is artistic!

Lol! Thank you very much ngck12.