Thread: lightroom 3 and exif data

Default lightroom 3 and exif data

i'am not using a dslr - just a simple point and shoot. when i imported my jpegs to lightroom 3, i noticed that the exif data does not seem to be correct. it shows the photos were taken at 55mm focal length, but i know that it was a zoom shot, so should be around 4-500mm.

i tried to do the same in photoscape, and this time while it does report 55mm, it shows a 4xxmm equivalent in 35mm.

my question is, where does this 35mm equivalent come from? is it from the exif info itself or is there a database that photoscape has to convert to 35mm equiv. if it is the latter, how can i enable this in lightroom3?

Default Re: lightroom 3 and exif data

Quote Originally Posted by orson View Post
    i'am not using a dslr - just a simple point and shoot. when i imported my jpegs to lightroom 3, i noticed that the exif data does not seem to be correct. it shows the photos were taken at 55mm focal length, but i know that it was a zoom shot, so should be around 4-500mm.

i tried to do the same in photoscape, and this time while it does report 55mm, it shows a 4xxmm equivalent in 35mm.

my question is, where does this 35mm equivalent come from? is it from the exif info itself or is there a database that photoscape has to convert to 35mm equiv. if it is the latter, how can i enable this in lightroom3?
    EXIF is nothing more that a camera manufacturers' standard that camera manufacturers used to output their cameras' informations.. Each manufacturers can choose which fields to complete and which fields to ignore..

Similarly, Photo Editing softwares can also choose to read from all EXIF fields or a subset of any number of EXIF fields..

In the EXIF standard.. there is a field "FocalLength" and a field "FocalLength35efl" (35mm equivalent)..

Therefore - to answer your question, it is not "Photoscape" database info BUT the EXIF info.. as to whether you can enable Lightroom to read this EXIF tag.. I cant be certain as I am not (yet) a lightroom3 user

Quote Originally Posted by orson View Post
    35mm equivalent .. well it comes from the 35mm film format which is the reference point. Sensors smaller than the 35mm film format will bring in the effect of "crop factor / focal length multiplier". In addition, due to the smaller sensor, the real physical focal length of the lenses on PnS cameras is different. That's the reason why you see two different values: the real physical focal length (here: 55mm) and the 35mm equivalent focal length. In the long run you should focus on the latter value. It is used for all DSLR equipment.
    As mentioned already: exif is a standardized way of including additional, non-picture information into the image file. The camera will write these data and LR will read it.
    EOS

i found the solution. lightroom has different "presets" of info to display in the metadata thingy. i just chose EXIF and the 35mm equiv focal length was shown. thanks for those who replied.