Thread: 550EX replacement

Default 550EX replacement

I’m thinking of replacing my old 550ex as it tends to underexposed on my new 10D.
    Any experience on the Metz flashes? Which model has the same strength as the 550EX?
    TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by E-Lim
    Iím thinking of replacing my old 550ex as it tends to underexposed on my new 10D.
    Any experience on the Metz flashes? Which model has the same strength as the 550EX?
    TIA!
    I'm surprised to hear that. The 550EX is a pro flash. Could it be due to wrong settings? I'm sorry for doubting, but just want to make sure, cos I may want to upgrade to 550EX. Me using 10D too.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Metz54, good flash.

just buy a new 550EX

Quote Originally Posted by E-Lim
    Iím thinking of replacing my old 550ex as it tends to underexposed on my new 10D.
    TIA!
    cannot be. 550Ex is a top of the range flash from Canon. Get your flash for a checkup before you buy new one.

mebbe u can post some pics?

Thanks w.s
    Those in doubt, you may want to check others experiences on the net.
    It just so happen that I experienced the same problem. If you dont, that's good for you.

dun worry abt it, i faced the same prob with the 550ex too, tht's y i switched to metz54. the 550ex is good... but i just prefer the "auto mode" in metz, works better for me.

I am using the 550EX and a 10D and I do get underexpose shots. I just live with it and compensate 1/2 stop cause I love the flash. If anyone have a remedy for this please share.

hmmm... read this article, and u may find out why u r getting underexposed/overexposed photos when using 550ex (E-TTL), especially if u focus and recompose. with FEL tho, 550ex should give u very good results. hope it helps.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Have you RTFM?

In E-TTL, the camera will always meter for the ambient light and fire the flash as fill when one is in Av or Tv mode.

P mode will do most of the job, if you need more control use the M mode.

E-TTL has is biased towards the AF pt, so try to do FEL if possible, if not you have get the camera and flash to evaluate the whole scene by using C Fn 4-1 or 4-3 by using the * button for AF, and releasing it before taking pix, that will get the camera to evaluate the whole scene.