Thread: Long exposure landscape with 500D

Default Long exposure landscape with 500D

Hi guys , would like to ask something about taking long exposure shots. If i were to use polarizers or nd filters for long exposure , do i need to adjust my WB to custom ? and how do i take a custom reading and all the stuff before actually taking a proper picture? like meter reading... etc. (with a 500D)

Default Re: Long exposure landscape with 500D

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    If i were to use polarizers or nd filters for long exposure , do i need to adjust my WB to custom?
    Usually, adjustment of WB is not needed because these filters are supposed to be neutral colour. However, some ND filters and Circular Polarizer (depending on brand and also how accurate you want your WB) have some colour cast. Example, Hi-Tech 1.2 ND have a magenta colour cast.

You can try shooting RAW and adjust using software.
    Or if you want, can get those expodisc or CBL (Colour Balance Lens) and screw on your filter, adjust to the fastest exposure and try setting your custom WB. (But I have tom admit that I never try this mention before)

and how do i take a custom reading and all the stuff before actually taking a proper picture? like meter reading... etc. (with a 500D)
    Do a metering first without the filter using maybe Aperture mode, then depending on your setting and the no. of stop your ND cut off the light, calculate the needed exposure. Set to Manual Mode and turn to the correct exposure with the setting, screw on the filter and shoot.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    Do a metering first without the filter using maybe Aperture mode, then depending on your setting and the no. of stop your ND cut off the light, calculate the needed exposure. Set to Manual Mode and turn to the correct exposure with the setting, screw on the filter and shoot.
    Whats the difference between doing that and shooting straight on with the filter on and adjusting all the settings as you go along?

Whats the difference between doing that and shooting straight on with the filter on and adjusting all the settings as you go along?
    Depending on your ND filter (how many stop of light is cut off?),
    (1) your metering can be fooled at times.
    (2) the needed exposure could be out of range.

Try this trick.
    - Try screwing on a ND8 aka ND0.9 filter and do a metering (Remember that figure)
    - Now, cover your viewfinder and meter again (You should see a jump in that figure)
    - Some time, stray lights from our viewfinder can fool our metering especially when the light entering through the lens lesser than those stray lights.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Francis247 View Post
    Depending on your ND filter (how many stop of light is cut off?),
    (1) your metering can be fooled at times.
    (2) the needed exposure could be out of range.

Try this trick.
    - Try screwing on a ND8 aka ND0.9 filter and do a metering (Remember that figure)
    - Now, cover your viewfinder and meter again (You should see a jump in that figure)
    - Some time, stray lights from our viewfinder can fool our metering especially when the light entering through the lens lesser than those stray lights.
    yea. i remember u teach this one. must block view finder!

or use live view to judge

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yea. i remember u teach this one. must block view finder!

or use live view to judge
    You have learn well.
    Remember to keep that cheat sheet that I give you well.
    I have been using it quite intensively these days.

Blog Entries

yep. good shifu teach easy learn cheat sheet looks nua already, cause using often haha!

care to share whats the cheat sheet about? haha. exposure?

Blog Entries

care to share whats the cheat sheet about? haha. exposure?
    its the secret manual passed down generation to generation from the landscape photographers of the ancient past if u want, sign up below

just kidding. its an exposure compensation chart actually. useful when ur exposure is out of camera range (ie 1000s)

cool. roughly got it. haha.