Thread: Beach

Default Beach

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Composition, colour, exposure.

2. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    Was thinking will it be better if I place more emphasis on the broken tree branch in the foreground.

Last edited by knoxknocks; 11th January 2011 at 10:42 PM.

Default Re: Beach

The foreground does add depth to the image..Like to know where is the center of interest in this image ? The horizontal and blue sky ? Placing more emphasis on the broken tree branch in the foreground can easily distract the center of interest.

colours and exposure looks ok.

I can see everything in this photo goes by half.
    a. horizon in middle of photo
    b. the headland end somewhere in the middle
    c. vertical part of the branch "cut" the foreground in half.

task for you. google for "golden rules", "rule of third", "photography composition" and read and understand.

This is probably what I will do.
    1/3 sky and 2/3 beach. take branch and start walking till I can see headland still join to the beach while the headland will end at one third on the left side. This way, more nice blue sea can be seen. Pose the branch and find a good angle and position in the photo.
    Last edited by coolthought; 12th January 2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I actually kinda like this picture, the more I look at it. It reminds me of a painting, not any famous painter that I would know cos I don't remember such details, but a painting none the less. I had issues initially as it's my personal preference to play with light and shadow, which is lacking here. But this isn't about what I like but what the picture is.

Everything's bright, like a peaceful quiet place. You can just make out the speck of a man on the beach. There is a cliff, where a portion of it has collapsed under the weight of vegetation, or that the latter had not cared the collapse but are straining for the brilliant blue waters. You have a beach, not the pure white beautiful sandy beaches of beautiful places but a weedy infestation stretching as far away as the eye can see. As beaches go, it's a boring subject. Which is why it's always accompanied by the ever welcoming but over composed inclusion of footprints, or a pretty seashell. Isn't it interesting here there is a speckling of sand dotting the green? Well I think it's interesting. And finally a lonesome tree branch, seemingly out of place where tree and tide are far away. It's nature, and it's raw.

Some pictures are taken with a feeling at the moment. Other times you want to analyse and heed 'rules'. There is no right or wrong, but you must enjoy your photography. That's the only rule really.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I had a few shots with 2/3 beach but the outcome doesn't gives me as much 'feel' as this. Like coolthought suggest, maybe I could have gotten a better shot if I were to position the branch physically. No doubt important, sometimes I find applying those rules or guidelines (as I would call them) takes the whole fun out of photography. Not too sure if any others feel the same way.

those rule of thirds, etc are a guide and not a law that one must strictly follow. However, this is what the human eyes find pleasant when a photo has these. Golden section, golden rules, etc is apply not just in photography, but also in painting, graphics and sometimes even in building.
    It is your choice how you will want to pursue this hobby. Get better or just stay at where you are now.
    Last edited by coolthought; 13th January 2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I like the color tone of this picture. However, I would like to see more of the ocean and perhaps if the picture is in a landscape format will be better.
    As for the tree branch, hmmm... personally I think is a spoiler to the picture. Keep up the good work!
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

nice pic...with a striking compositional structure. the colours are a bit too vivid for my taste, but with careful cropping, you can balance the main elements of the photo nicely (cloud, tree branch, cliff), with a more squarish format. presenting the photo on black will really make it stand out IMHO.

My biggest issue with the photo is the colour- the blue looks way oversaturated, bordering on unnatural. Zaren's cropping/border looks fine if you're looking for some compositional suggestions.
    Olympian

Saturation a little overdone IMHO.

Yeap thanks for all the comments and advices given!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-Cube View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I had a few shots with 2/3 beach but the outcome doesn't gives me as much 'feel' as this. Like coolthought suggest, maybe I could have gotten a better shot if I were to position the branch physically. No doubt important, sometimes I find applying those rules or guidelines (as I would call them) takes the whole fun out of photography. Not too sure if any others feel the same way.
    Nothing is wrong with not putting things on the thirds. Sometimes the advice given on Clubsnap is given after reading random things on the net, without understanding of the true application. Definitely, blind following doesn't work, you have to understand the dynamics of every single "rule" out there. Do not always be cornered into a box because of the knowledge of such "rules", and then end up going around parroting them alongside "phrase dropping".

Zaren's crop exhibits very well how you can still place things on the half and let the composition work. With the crop the branch starts nicely from the corner, and leads into the scene. No issue with halves. I do wish that cloud was lower, but what are you to do?
    Last edited by edutilos-; 28th January 2011 at 08:48 AM.

1. Look at the location first
    2. Get an idea of what is it you want to display (Your subject)
    3. Visualise how you want to frame it and how the photo turns out after the shoot. Most of it are ideas to make the subject stands out.
    4. Those golden rules and stuff are guides for how to frame, but the actual idea and framing of the shot should be done in the mind before looking into the viewfinder. (Which sadly, most people nowaday doesn't understand it and why)
    5. The idea of the photo is to show yourself and others what you see there that you want to show in the photo and not just for the sake of nice. There is no meaning in taking 36 shots of all nice looking photo but what you focus on isn't your idea of the subject in the first place.

i like zaren's crop in black background.. the original pic also i like.. but when it is cropped, it looks much better..