Thread: Snapping Runners

Default Snapping Runners

Hi there,

would like to ask wads the best configuration to achieve sharpness in snapping runners running towards your direction ie. incoming runners. must it be set to AF-C mode? thanks!

Default Re: Snapping Runners

Quote Originally Posted by jeneva View Post
    Hi there,

would like to ask wads the best configuration to achieve sharpness in snapping runners running towards your direction ie. incoming runners. must it be set to AF-C mode? thanks!
    This is what I usually use, AF-C, priority to "release + focus", 3D tracking. You will also need relatively fast shutter speeds to freeze the motion.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 11th January 2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    This is what I usually use, AF-C, priority to "release + focus", 3D tracking. You will also need relatively fast shutter speeds to freeze the motion.

Hi Override2Zion,

wad do u mean by "release + focus"? thanks!

can use AI servo(continuous tracking) or whatever it's called on other brand + high speed burst shoot and high shutter speed say 1/300-1/400 to freeze the moment or 1/30-1/50 for panning
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Quote Originally Posted by jeneva View Post
    Hi Override2Zion,

wad do u mean by "release + focus"? thanks!
    Hi Jeneva, "Release+Focus" is an option under the "AF-S priority" selection menu. What it does is to ensure that the shutter to be release only when there is focus.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

learn how to do pan shots.

using fast shutter only freeze their movements but everything looks so still.

pan shots can show some movements in the background, more dynamic.

How to Pan in Photography (by Kim Linton, eHow Contributor):

#1 - Choose a subject. The object or subject of your photo must be in motion in order to create the pan effect. Subjects like moving cars, roller coasters and marathon runners make great pan shots.
    #2 - Designate a focus point. Pick a focus point to determine when you will take the photo as you pan. It could be as the subject passes a certain object, like a tree or road sign for example.
    #3 - Set the shutter speed. To focus on a moving object you must use a very slow shutter speed. For example, a good shutter speed for a marathon runner would be 1/30 of a second. Adjust the shutter speed as necessary for objects that are moving faster or slower.
    #4 - Set up your tripod. Use a tripod to keep your camera level while panning. Simply rotate the camera left or right to pan with a tripod. If you don't use a tripod, and your hand is not steady, you will produce a vertical blur and ruin the shot.
    #5 - Take your shot. When you see the subject coming, hold your shutter down half way and follow the movement of the subject. Lock your feet, swivel with your upper body, then hit the shutter when the subject reaches your focus point. Always follow through and keep your movements smooth to produce the best results.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    learn how to do pan shots.

using fast shutter only freeze their movements but everything looks so still.

pan shots can show some movements in the background, more dynamic.
    Good suggestion; how to pan the runnner is running toward you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Abbot Man View Post
    Good suggestion; how to pan the runnner is running toward you ?
    move out his way and change to shoot him from the side?

To answer TS question, depends what you hope to accomplish and that provided you have some experience.

In a lot of cases, modern dslrs and even compact cameras do this pretty well on Auto. Have even seen a couple of nice F1 pics taken with camera phones.

Now the problem is when they are sprinting rather then just running.

Above was an easy shot in comparison to sprinters. With a 75-300mm, you have a lot of shooting chances but with sprinters, got to pick when you want to shoot.

This kid was sprinting like mad near the finish line...

For sprinters, i find it easier to pre-focus on a point the runner will pass and then machine gun the shutter as the runner pass the point. Usually you will have one that is pinpoint sharp.
    Last edited by Reportage; 12th January 2011 at 01:43 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Personally, I shoot my subjects with AF-C and I focus on the subject and pan til I get the desired scene or expression.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

i think pre-focusing at a distance would be better than setting the camera to AF-C, cus in AF mode, it may still hunt for focus (hey, there are still possibility this thing happens, rite? )
    set focus manually at a distance (lets say 10m away), and press shutter button when runner pass that area (10m).. use smaller aperture so that DOF would be deeper (this one depends on yourself)..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Blog Entries

how do professionals back then who dun hhave focus tracking shoot?

they prefocus

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    how do professionals back then who dun hhave focus tracking shoot?

they prefocus
    not only that but there are a couple of tricks they employed then to guarantee the shot. Learnt of them from sports jobs and talking to those agency photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    not only that but there are a couple of tricks they employed then to guarantee the shot. Learnt of them from sports jobs and talking to those agency photographers.
    High speed film, pre focussing (manual focus), setting a relatively mid aperture like F8 to ensure that subject is in focus, panning to remove background sharpness and a monopod for stability all helps.

Quote Originally Posted by agws1970 View Post
    High speed film, pre focussing (manual focus), setting a relatively mid aperture like F8 to ensure that subject is in focus, panning to remove background sharpness and a monopod for stability all helps.
    good answer...but nope, surprisingly more simpler then that. Nowadays, technology and experience can compensate for it.