Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too lazy to zoom?

Default Re: Too lazy to zoom?

Of course, I wouldn't mind using a telephoto zoom if I were to shoot landscapes or something far away. Let's just assume that you are doing a shoot for this model and you have all the space you want to move about.

I do foot zoom and ring zoom both. Suppose using 17-50, i would use 30mm if distance permits. if bokeh is needed, i use 50mm f2.8. wide needed, then 17mm of coz.

I use foot zoom and ring zoom. I am not lazy. Every photo session at least two hours..

I'm a primarily prime user and i'm not lazy to zoom just that prime offer me IQ and perspective that zoom can't.

On top of that, i'm a believer that a photographer can improve himself in this field by working with the benefits and constraints present by a prime.
    Playing with M43.

Why do you bother. He is just trying to make a statement. If he wants to walk so be it. I tether zoom. Cheers.
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

I'm even less lazy. I carry a tripod

funny how i used to be opinionated on primes or zooms, but somehow with age i lost that passion to side on either .. heck i think anything goes ..

Actually there is an advantage of zooming by foot - you can maintain the same minimum apperture, on the cheap.

Compare that to zoom lense that normally (well the majority) of us have - where the minimum apperture will increase the further you zoom.
    This of course not the case when you are using constant apperture zoom lense but that is very expensive.

Sometimes I use legzoom also even when I have a zoom lense.

Talking Re: Too lazy to zoom?

I would try combine both methods .

ZOOM = CROPPING

WALK = CHANGE OF PERSPECTIVE

WALK + ZOOM = BETTER PICTURES ?

Rgs

Quote Originally Posted by worker bee View Post
    I would try combine both methods .

ZOOM = CROPPING

WALK = CHANGE OF PERSPECTIVE

WALK + ZOOM = BETTER PICTURES ?

Rgs
    Zooming also changes perspective...

Hmm..I will usually zoom when I want to capture the natural look/response of the subject's face or gesture..if do the walking, may either lose the expression or the subject,especially many ladies, becomes conscious of the camera and starts posing for it, which is not what I want initially..

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    Has anyone here experienced this? I prefer to use a prime lens or I would just use my UWA zoom lens as a prime lens because I find it tiring to zoom in/out... I would prefer to just move closer or further using my legs.

Is zooming for lazy people? Not really.
    I am the lazier I think, cause walking nearer uses more energy then turning my wrist to zoom

i prefer to walk with a prime lens, easier to burn fats, so i can enjoy good food more often..

Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    I'm a primarily prime user and i'm not lazy to zoom just that prime offer me IQ and perspective that zoom can't.

On top of that, i'm a believer that a photographer can improve himself in this field by working with the benefits and constraints present by a prime.
    ( Documenting the Human Condition | Flickr )

why not use both, i use a combination either a zoom + zoom and prime + zoom, and all the lala about working with the constraint and giving u a better perspective try to do that at event u'll be amaze how many shoot u miss but in a controlled environment and leisure shoot it's a different story
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Actually I like shooting primes, mainly for the fast lenses and bokeh. Have you heard of a 70-200mm F1.4? Since I shoot in available light a lot, I prefer primes. Plus it takes a certain discipline...and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by eulee View Post
    Actually I like shooting primes, mainly for the fast lenses and bokeh. Have you heard of a 70-200mm F1.4? Since I shoot in available light a lot, I prefer primes. Plus it takes a certain discipline...and energy.
    Different people have different shooting preferences. IMO the final result is more important than the equipment used. It doesn't mean that someone who uses a prime will get better photos than someone who uses a zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by eulee View Post
    You shoot all in F1.4

Quote Originally Posted by eulee
    Need some enlightenment here.. Why using primes takes a certain discipline?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantou85 View Post
    Need some enlightenment here.. Why using primes takes a certain discipline?
    Focal length is fixed. Therefore, you may find there's lot of situations which you need to walk forward or backward, move your camera to get a good angle of your subject. This required discipline. With a zoom lens, you let your camera do the walking

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast