Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which zoom lens will you recommend?

Default Re: Which zoom lens will you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    purple fringing included?
    Haha, yes, these lenses do have PF problem.

Frankly, not really an issue, as it is correctable. I think I have more issues with the softness 200-300mm and limited max aperture

Quote Originally Posted by nerdypunks View Post
    hahah coooool.
    where's that?
    haha for the prime lens, do i need a mount?
    cause mine's kx.
    Actually is not real ... from "Walking with Dinosaurs", I was sitting very far up.

Pentax-M lens goes on the KX directly... but it is manual focus and other things.
    Last edited by snapnut; 11th January 2011 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Haha, yes, these lenses do have PF problem.

Frankly, not really an issue, as it is correctable. I think I have more issues with the softness 200-300mm and limited max aperture
    so you mean that the 55-300 lens when using 200-300mm will have softness?
    is there anyways i can actually correct that?

Quote Originally Posted by snapnut View Post
    Actually is not real ... from "Walking with Dinosaurs", I was sitting very far up.

Pentax-M lens goes on the KX directly... but it is manual focus and other things.
    Alright.
    Thanks for sharing bro!

Hey there.
    Yes, i did considered my priority and i would like to have a versatile lens which can cover to all the situations as i mentioned without changing the lens. If so, which of the lens will you recommend me to get?

Ah yes, so i would need to buy it separately.
    The 55-300 you talking about is DA or DAL?
    Is it really worth it to save up for the quick focus, or i can live without it?
    And also i read it somewhere in the Pentax forums, some of them faces images not being sharp, user problem?
    Anybody using the DA/DAL 55-300mm lens facing that problems?
    Thanks alot!
    for me, i own the DAL version as i got a twin lens kit with my kx.
    and personally, the lens, as told by other users, is sharp from 55-200 wide open,
    and a little softer from 200-300.
    but to me, 300 isnt really that much different from 200 (i mean the zoom range)
    so i tend to use max at 200mm on this lens, unless it's absolutely necessary.
    if not, stopping down a little will help, but at 300mm, handheld isnt exactly easy as u need fast shutter speed to compensate for shaky hands and stuff,

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    for me, i own the DAL version as i got a twin lens kit with my kx.
    and personally, the lens, as told by other users, is sharp from 55-200 wide open,
    and a little softer from 200-300.
    but to me, 300 isnt really that much different from 200 (i mean the zoom range)
    so i tend to use max at 200mm on this lens, unless it's absolutely necessary.
    if not, stopping down a little will help, but at 300mm, handheld isnt exactly easy as u need fast shutter speed to compensate for shaky hands and stuff,
    ah alright.
    if i were to really need 300, i will probably need a tripod right?
    thanks bro!

hi there.
    you owned one of the 55-300mm lens?
    i suppose 300mm is quite sufficient for birds isn't it?
    at least for someone that's at an entry level like me?
    haha.
    Yes I do have the DA 55-300mm, but I've not been using it much recently after I got myself a 300mm prime. For birds, you can start with 300mm, but you'll probably still need to crop quite aggressively unless you're lucky (or stealthy!) enough to get very close. If I were serious about birding, I'd go for at least 450-500mm. But IMHO where cost is concern, it makes plenty of sense to start with 300mm, and see if you really like birding, and you can consider upgrading from there.

Pics from the DA 55-300mm, all @300mm and cropped to various degrees. For 300mm, you can go with or without a tripod. I prefer handholding, unless it's starting to get dark.

My photos - see just some or all of it =)

so you mean that the 55-300 lens when using 200-300mm will have softness?
    is there anyways i can actually correct that?
    I think he was referring to the Tamron and Sigma 70-300mm. The DA and DAL 55-300mm are significantly better than those two in the 200-300mm range. I used to have the Tamron 70-300mm too. Great budget lens. Until the Pentax 55-300mm came along.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    I think he was referring to the Tamron and Sigma 70-300mm. The DA and DAL 55-300mm are significantly better than those two in the 200-300mm range. I used to have the Tamron 70-300mm too. Great budget lens. Until the Pentax 55-300mm came along.
    yes, 55-300 is better than tamron and sigma.
    but 200-300 range is still softer compared to 55-200 range on the pentax lens.

ah alright.
    if i were to really need 300, i will probably need a tripod right?
    thanks bro!
    nope, i can still do handheld at 300mm. just try to master the techniques of holding ur cam, being stable and etc..
    and also depends on how much light is available..

ah yes thanks guys.
    cause i've got shaky hands, so im afraid that the shots will come out to be shaky as well.
    however, it seems that the pentax dal 55-300 lens have a lot of praise from the bros here eh?
    haha.
    yea, trying to get a 300mm and see if i've got what it takes to take nice shots of birds, patience is a very important thing.
    if not, i can always use the lens to take some portraits.
    thanks guys!

ah yes thanks guys.
    cause i've got shaky hands, so im afraid that the shots will come out to be shaky as well.
    however, it seems that the pentax dal 55-300 lens have a lot of praise from the bros here eh?
    haha.
    yea, trying to get a 300mm and see if i've got what it takes to take nice shots of birds, patience is a very important thing.
    thanks guys!
    The 55-300mm lens is rather light, handheld is really no issue. With a fast shutter speed >1/320s + SR, the pics shouldn't have motion blur.
    I have cases handheld even heavier lens chasing after birds until breathless & thus shaky hand & still able to take blur-free shots, somehow I find Pentax SR is very effective!

A Sunda Woodpecker taken with the DAL 55-300 @300mm, 1/320s, F7.1, iso 400, +0.7EV
    Last edited by kengoh; 12th January 2011 at 01:18 AM.

niceeeeeeeeeeeee.
    bro, when you taking that shot, you used a tripod?
    or just handheld?

niceeeeeeeeeeeee.
    bro, when you taking that shot, you used a tripod?
    or just handheld?
    No tripod, using handheld.
    My tripod is Benro travel angle series, not stable for >300mm lens.

My 1st birding shoot when I was a newbie last yr.
    K-X + DAL 55-300mm @300mm, 1/1250s, iso 100, F5.8
    Last edited by kengoh; 12th January 2011 at 01:52 AM.

fwah.
    bro, your first birding shot is alr awesome.
    i wish after i get my lens, i can be half as good as you can le.
    haha.
    birding shots require lots of patience and a little luck?
    where are some locations suitable for birding shot?
    Chinese garden?

dont really have much interest in birding and such but if the opportunity reveals itself, 300mm telephoto does come in handy.

Tamron 75-300mm @300mm.

My recommendation would be the 18-2xx lens for lightweight travel because the issue is, if something happens right in front of you or near you...55mm may not be wide enough. The 18-2xx trade off is the iq but what you get back is the convenience. Unless of course you are very confident of doing a split second lens change in which case, go for the 55-300mm. Alternatively, can also bring a wide angle compact camera to complement the dslr with the telephoto lens.
    Last edited by Reportage; 12th January 2011 at 02:22 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

ah yes thanks guys.
    haha.
    thanks guys!
    yup.. thats because of the price and performance u get..
    anything a little better, u'll be paying few times more of the price of 55-300, especially compared to the DAL version

Some photo taken when I last visit the Zoo with DAL 55-300mm

My Flickr ->Flickr

I have the DAL 55-200 and I think it's a great kit lens...bargain really for what you are getting and better than the 18-55.

I wonder though...for the DAL 55-300, how does the 300 end compare with a Pentax-M 200/4 + 1.7x AF TC?

Many bro and lens review websites say that IQ of DA/L 55-300mm is very good and some say that it is better than DA/L 50-200 mm. Any bro have side-by-side photo to show, thinking to upgrade to 55-300mm

yes, i assume the 55-300 is better than 50-200,
    do note that i dont own the 50-200.

Most people will say 50-200 is about the same as 18-55, which make them an excellent pair covering from wide angle to telephoto
    but for me, i find 55-300 very much better than 18-55, this explains my assumptions.
    of coz, "better" here solely means optically.

Quote Originally Posted by fun2snap View Post
    Many bro and lens review websites say that IQ of DA/L 55-300mm is very good and some say that it is better than DA/L 50-200 mm. Any bro have side-by-side photo to show, thinking to upgrade to 55-300mm
    creampuff did a comparison last year. Here's the thread:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736039

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast