Thread: SB-900 Question

Default SB-900 Question

Dear thread viewers,

I've got my SB-900 last year but only recently I learn about flash photography. I want to ask, how do you adjust the zoom when the diffuser is attached on SB900? I can adjust it easily, when the diffuser is not attached, but not when the diffuser is attached. It is not in the manual.. Regardless what mode is it on, be it M or TTL I still cant adjust it. The zoom seems to be locked at 14mm.

Thanks and Have a nice day..

Quote Originally Posted by Nataru
    Dear thread viewers,

I've got my SB-900 last year but only recently I learn about flash photography. I want to ask, how do you adjust the zoom when the diffuser is attached on SB900? I can adjust it easily, when the diffuser is not attached, but not when the diffuser is attached. It is not in the manual.. Regardless what mode is it on, be it M or TTL I still cant adjust it. The zoom seems to be locked at 14mm.

Diffuser is attached?
    Do you mean when you pull out the built-in wide-angle diffuser?
    There is a micro-switch which is activated once you pull out the diffuser, thus you get a zoom value of 14mm, since that is what the diffuser is designed to do.

If you ATTACH a diffuser, as you claim to have done, and the flash auto-detects and goes to 14mm, your SB900 is darn high-tech!
    Exploring! :)

Default Re: SB-900 Question

With the diffuser attached, it override all the other zoom settings! Using the zoom flash together with the diffuser on will negate the zoom effect anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Nataru View Post
    Dear thread viewers,

This is normal bro.
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

The purpose for the diffuser is to diffuse light, thats why your SB900 opens up the throw angle to widest when you have the diffuser on.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

you can change the zoom head setting if you willing to mod your diffuser,
    very simple, just drill a hole on your diffuser, so the latch will not detect the diffuser when it is attached.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Ohh..alrite..thanks everyone for the reply..