Thread: whats wrong?

Default whats wrong?

hi people, need your advice on this, havent had plenty of chances to do photoshoots

i tried to meter the whole scene such that the background wasnt clipped off, but in the end i got this:

the models either ended up having shadow clipping instead, or the entire image had the 'hazy feeling'.
    what would a better remedy be for such a situation, e.g. flash or simply repositioning the models ? it was about 3pm on an bright cloudy day (last sunday)

thanks in advance!

taken with a230/minolta AF 28-85mm
    naheuy|A7|A77
    naheuy photography

Default Re: whats wrong?

It looks like a case of the ambient lighting being too strong. Because of the cloudy skies, the light is also rather flat.

Stopping down and using flash to help illuminate your subjects might help.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by naheuy View Post
    what would a better remedy be for such a situation, e.g. flash or simply repositioning the models ?
    Either way would be fine but I would prefer the use of reflectors instead. There is nothing wrong in repositioning the subjects as long as you think you can get a decent background. Fill flash is another alternative to consider.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

stop down aperture to capture details in the bg and strobe the models to lit em up well brudda
    facebook | Kiwira

using a flash and reflector would help, alternatively spot metering will do too.. but that will blown your background...
    Playing with M43.

hi all, thanks for your advices, ill play around with those options next time around!

i wasnt using a UV filter though, there has been this big hoohaa on whether a UV filter will minimize that blue-ish and hazy look. so... will it?
    naheuy|A7|A77
    naheuy photography

uv filter? I dont think it does anything at all but diminish image quality because of the extra glass.

tho is cloudy day, it is still in a back light situation,
    so if you would to meter your subject's face, the sky will be blown,

and second shot is flare.

so is the sky very important here?

a very simply solution is find a place that the light looks good on your subject, exclude the unwanted areas or areas will give you problem.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

a very simply solution is find a place that the light looks good on your subject, exclude the unwanted areas or areas will give you problem.
    second this. problem i find with sg is the sky... if its cloudy, it turns white. too white.

if its slightly clear u shld get this

even then, u still need to add light to subject with a fill flash. i used one to get this shot

take note of my clouds, at the right, and see how it is blown, jsut because it is thicker in coverage there compared to left u can tell how severe the effects are
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 11th January 2011 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    uv filter? I dont think it does anything at all but diminish image quality because of the extra glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

ahh i thought along that line as well, havent done much of this so i have much to learn

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    second this. problem i find with sg is the sky... if its cloudy, it turns white. too white.

if its slightly clear u shld get this
    IMG
    even then, u still need to add light to subject with a fill flash. i used one to get this shot

take note of my clouds, at the right, and see how it is blown, jsut because it is thicker in coverage there compared to left u can tell how severe the effects are
    thanks for sharing bro allen, just asking a little further, was the flash off body or mounted in this case? the kite (??) didnt get blown out so must have been a lil tricky eh?
    naheuy|A7|A77
    naheuy photography