Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fibre and sea water

Default Carbon fibre and sea water

I've recently upgraded from an aluminium tripod to a carbon fibre one. With the two-fold increment in investment, i have become more cautious when using my tripod.

I shoot plenty in and around the sea with my old tripod and hope to do so with the new one.

So what says you when it comes to carbon fibre and sea water? Im guessing the only adverse reaction would be sand + grease at the leg joints. Otherwise, i should be expecting a corrosive free experience with the CF tripod?

Default Re: Carbon fibre and sea water

Is your tripod the Gitzo Ocean Traveller?

Normally, the two-fold investment should make you less worried, and trust your gear more.
    Alpha

@ismokeweed79 alas no, just a run-of-the-mill sirui im afriad. hahaha.

@Rashkae yeah~ i think its the new toy syndrome lar, pamper for a few weeks then totally trash the hell out of it. But im more concerned about permanent adverse effects when carbon fibre meets seawater, will it structurally degrade or would damages be superficial at best?

Quote Originally Posted by alvinlovesu View Post
    I've recently upgraded from an aluminium tripod to a carbon fibre one. With the two-fold increment in investment, i have become more cautious when using my tripod.

I shoot plenty in and around the sea with my old tripod and hope to do so with the new one.

So what says you when it comes to carbon fibre and sea water? Im guessing the only adverse reaction would be sand + grease at the leg joints. Otherwise, i should be expecting a corrosive free experience with the CF tripod?
    Think u worry too much.. Think of the gd shots u might miss if you have to worry abt all these at the time of shoot

fyi, i sinked my Gitzo GT2531 Explorer into Sea Water and Mud every week.. 2/3 of it in if i have to..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

i've been using my sirui cf tripod on sea sand and sea water and no issues so far...
    Canon 40D | 17-40mm f/4 L USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 70-200mm f/4 L USM | 430EX II | DCR-250

I think carbon fibre legs should be fine since it's basically plastic ie, polymer. However I'd be concerned about screws, nuts, whatever that may corrode. If you have steel screws/nuts, you may have to replace it with aluminum ones.

CF or aluminum, what really bugs me is the cleaning part. I just hate it when there's sand stuck inside the tubes and have to dismantle the tripod to rid the legs off remaining sand particles. My solution is I use those umbrella plastic tubes we get right before we enter malls (not really sure what it's called, sorry) and insert my tripod legs in it before I dip the tripod in saltwater. Saves me the hassle of cleaning, and the best part is come upgrade time, it's easier to sell off because I took care of it well.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 11th January 2011 at 08:33 AM.

Mine goes into saltwater brackish water freshwater n sulfur hotsprings.. ( still working, not able to change new tripod ... )

Ryan

Weakness of Carbon Fibre:
    - UV light
    - Strong in only 1 direction (shatters in any others)

Although I'm sure the manufacturers have addressed these issues by now.

OT a bit. Can the Sirui tripod be taken apart for cleaning? Din know that.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinlovesu

Strange, you didn't complaint your aluminum in sea water but worry about CF in sea water. My manfrotto in seawater once and I don't use it anymore due to corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    ...dismantle the tripod to rid the legs off remaining sand particles...I use those umbrella plastic tubes we get right before we enter malls and insert my tripod legs in it before I dip the tripod in saltwater. Saves me the hassle of cleaning, and the best part is come upgrade time, it's easier to sell off because I took care of it well.
    I wonder where I could buy those plastic tube or perhaps find an alternative that can be kept in the camera bag for repeated use. This is a good idea, free if not relatively cheap solution.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Just strip the tripod and wash it down with freshwater. Then grease the metallic parts.

You cannot avoid getting some rust in the long run, but you can delay it somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted888 View Post
    Strange, you didn't complaint your aluminum in sea water but worry about CF in sea water. My manfrotto in seawater once and I don't use it anymore due to corrosion.
    Some ppl find CF more expensive so take more care of it lor.

At the end, spend more money, but make less use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Treetrunk View Post
    OT a bit. Can the Sirui tripod be taken apart for cleaning? Din know that.
    That can be done.
    But be careful when you take it apart as there is 2 small black pieces plastics at each section which can be easily misplaced.
    I show it to one person when I was down at TK Foto teaching him how to maintain the CF tripod.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Quote Originally Posted by elgkh View Post
    Weakness of Carbon Fibre:
    - UV light
    - Strong in only 1 direction (shatters in any others)

Although I'm sure the manufacturers have addressed these issues by now.
    Not sure about this part "Strong in only 1 direction" but manufacturer definitely know that to lay each ply of the carbon fibre, they have to be in certain orientation to maximize the strength.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Member/Tangshooter

Good maintanence habits will make equipment last longer..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    I wonder where I could buy those plastic tube or perhaps find an alternative that can be kept in the camera bag for repeated use. This is a good idea, free if not relatively cheap solution.
    Indeed a good idea. Get 1 each time you enter or leave the mall, recently it's very easy since it rains almost everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    You're in Thailand, right? We get it free here hahaha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast